Local Area Connection can't connect to router.

G

This one has me climbing the walls. Yesterday NK reported a similar problem with different hardware. I've tried a million things but none seem to work. This is a long description

But here is the situation
I just purchased a Dell laptop, Latitude D800 running XP Pro [Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-163: Service pack1)] to replace an older Dell laptop running Win2000 pro. The old machine worked like a champ.
The laptop is connected (via rj45) to a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router with 4 port switch. (I also would like to use a Linksys wireless card but let's get the cabled connection working first.) The Linksys router is connected to a Cisco 678 router, which is my connection to my DSL phone line. I also have a Dell Dimension desktop (running Win2000 pro) connected to one of the Linksys ports and it has no problem connecting. So, the Linksys and Cisco routers are working well. But I cannot (after many hours of trying and experimenting) make the laptop find the router.
If I go to Network Connections - Local Area Connection, it says enabled. The leds on the linksys router are lit as is the led on the laptop at the rj45 connector. If I select the TCP/IP properties, I have selected "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". This is what Linksys says should be selected and it works fine on my desktop computer
If I check the status, under General, I get that the status is "connected", there is always some time on the duration but the packets sent and received are always zero! Going to support
Address type - Invalid IP addres
IP Address 0.0.0.
Subnet mask 0.0.0.
Default gateway blank - nothing I don't think it is seeing the router

If I click on "repair" I get: The following steps of the repair operation faile
Renewing the IP addres
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS name
Please contact your network administrator or IS

Going to the command prompt and pinging 192.168.1.1 (the IP address for the router), it is unreachable. (On my desktop computer, this pinging works fine!
If I start IE, I always get the "Page cannot be displayed" page, no matter what url I try to find. Further, clicking on "detect network settings" gets me "no connection to internet"

I've tried switching cables and ports on the Linsys router, including taking the cable from my working desktop computer and plugging it into the laptop. None of these help! I have uninstalled and re-installed both the network controller (built in Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller) and the local area connection several times. (I'm afraid that this is just adding junk to my Registry!) And I have rebooted nearly an infinite number of times. (After all of the changes!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You could also email me at (e-mail address removed). Thanks!
Bill

S

Steve

Are you sure the IP address of the router is
192.168.1.1 ? Normally a shoared internet connection uses
Whenever you set up Internet Connection Sharing in
Windows, it must be 192.168.0.1, so it would only be
logical for the router to do the same.

G

Yep. All of the Linksys instructions say 192.168.1.1 and I can ping that from my working (Win2000) desktop computer and can't ping 192.168.0.1
I can ping the localhost on my laptop. So I think that there is something defective with the tcp/ip stack. Bummer!!

Ask a Question