Lisence & Versions

DDT

Hi, I have new PC without OS. I want to install Windows Vista Ultimate but
when I searched a little I found so MANY versions that are confusing me:
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Windows Vista Business 32-bit
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit Upgrade
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Upgrade
Windows Vista Business 32-bit Upgrade
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Upgrade
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit SP1
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1
Windows Vista Business 32-bit SP1
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1
Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Windows Vista Business 64-bit
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit SP1
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Windows Vista Business 64-bit SP1
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit OEM
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM
Windows Vista Business 32-bit OEM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Business 32-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit OEM
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM
Windows Vista Business 64-bit OEM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM
Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Business 64-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM SP1
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit OEM SP1 (3 pack)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM SP1 (3 pack)
Windows Vista Business 32-bit OEM SP1 (3 pack)
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM SP1 (3 pack)
I'm waiting your advice.
Thanks in advance!

Bruce Chambers

DDT said:
[...]

Simply choose the edition is bested suited to your computer's hardware
capabilities and *your* specific computing needs, of which we know nothing.

Choose an Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx

Because you have a bare computer with no earlier, qualify operating
systems installed, you can't legitimately use any of the Upgrade licenses.

To save initial set-up and update time, select an installation with SP1
already built-in.

Avoid the non-transferable OEM licenses unless you are certain that
you'll never want to move the OS to a new computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Dustin Harper

What features do you want? Do you want to use 64-bit? You should buy the SP1
integrated version, but the rest all depends on what you are using your
computer for.

We would need more information on what you are doing with your PC before we
can give any more advice.

DDT

Wow! Thanks for the quick answer!
My PC is AMD Athlon 64 X2, 1Gb RAM, Video GF6600GT... thus I think the most
comprehensive version is suitable for me.
My friend are telling me that x64 version is not popular so I'd better take
x32.
What are your recomendations.
Thanks again in advance.

Mick Murphy

Stick with the 32bit versions.
More hardware Drivers are available for it.

You will have to increase your RAM from the present 1G to at least 2G, to
get any benefits from Vista.
It will run slow, unless you do!

Colin Barnhorst

DDT said:
Wow! Thanks for the quick answer!
My PC is AMD Athlon 64 X2, 1Gb RAM, Video GF6600GT... thus I think the
most
comprehensive version is suitable for me.
My friend are telling me that x64 version is not popular so I'd better
take
x32.
What are your recomendations.
Thanks again in advance.

Your friends' advice, as a lot of advice, is out of date. My wife and I use
Vista x64 exclusively without issues. A surprising percentage of new
computers are now shipping with 64bit Vista. Folks are beginning to get the
point that the early problems with drivers are largely over and that 64bits
is the future anyway. An interesting, if somewhat tangential, article I
just read is at:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/1
While it is more about memory and gaming, notice comments like,
"...the stigma against Vista x64 is no longer true: drivers are readily
available and since Service Pack 1, we've found it works very well indeed.
In a recent community poll we found half of those questioned already run
Vista x64 with SP1 and a good amount of those still running a 32-bit OS were
considering the upgrade sometime soon too."

DDT said:
[...]

John Barnett MVP

Retail versions are better than OEM. With an OEM you can only install it on
the original machine. Should that machine die then you cannot install it on
another machine. With a boxed retail version, if the machine die, you can
install it on a new one.

You need to know whether your machine is 32 bit or 64 bit. Once you know
that (see your pc manual) you can buy the correct one. 64 bit is relatively
new and there are not many applications available that are 64 bit. 64 bit
also gives you more memory capability (assuming your motherboard will take
additional memory). 32 bit, on the other hand will only accept 4GB of memory
but will only register around 3.3 to 3.5GB.

Your best option is either Vista Ultimate SP1 (this includes service pack
1). The full retail version (not sure about OEM) should have both 32 bit and
64 bit versions (but check first) on the DVD. All you need to do is choose
which one when you install.

My machine is a 64 bit, but I use the 32 bit version because most of my
software is 32 bit.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit" <Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mike Hall - MVP

"Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit" <Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you want Vista Ultimate, most of your list can be removed.. that leaves
us with this list..

1. Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit - original retail version which does not
include the latest service pack

2. Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Upgrade - as above but requires a working
XP installation..

3. Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1 - as per #1 but including the latest
service pack

4. Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - original retail version which does not
include the latest service pack - not all peripheral devices are supported,
and some 32bit programs may not be compatible..

5. Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1 - as per #4 but including the latest
service pack..

OEM versions - same as above BUT they are not transferable from one machine
to another, hence they are cheaper.

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM SP1,
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM SP1,
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM SP1 (3 pack)

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm