Linux game console ready to ship

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Linux-game-console-ready-to-ship/

"Additional EVO Smart Console features include remote access, voice recognition, DVR, Internet television, HD video, social networking, streaming content, VoIP, and automatic backup storage, says the company. More unusual features include a liquid cooling system and a biometrics security system that supports facial, voice, and fingerprint scans. The system is also is said to offer a voice-enabled Media Center Communicator function for playing music and controlling other media functions."

This looked intriguing
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Specs look good but it's success will ultimately depend on whether developers make games for it.

A top of the range fps can take anything from 2 to 6 years to complete.

Whether developers can use the open source code to port over existing games remains to be seen.

The initially available 9 games based on the Amiga platform are not going to persuade gamers to invest.

Games prices are good though, will probably translate to about £15/£20 in the UK.

I have played Alien Arena - one of the games currently available for this console - and it is distinctly average.

I do hope it does well but it will need not only the support of the open source community but also that of the commercial big boys - the games developers - and for the gaming community to take a shine to it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They say the os is a Fedora base and that you can have Windows pre installed on it aswell, so I'm guessing that you should be able to load up any linux game that is currently available. Yep they certainly won't be COD 4 etc but htey will keep some folk happy. An it would make a great media center with the silent cooling. Also apart from the media center side you can use it as a normal pc, internet etc. So for quite a lot of folk it may prove to be a very nice alternative to a windows pc.
At least we are seeing some alternatives to the almost MS monopoly which is good as competition makes for a more interesting wolrd.

nod.gif

Alien Arena is certainly not up to modern standards but if I remember rightly you can get some decent maps for it. It is fun in its own way and it is free.

nod.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question