Linksys wireless issues with BEFW11S4V4

G

I dont know exactly what's going on since I am very new to the wireless arena. I recently got DSL put in my home and got the Linksys BEFW11S4V4 Wireless-B broadband router along with the WUSB11 usb wireless network adapter so that my other machine can share the connection. Now on the Main machine that is Patch 5 connected to the router itself i'm having no issues whatsoever, however, on the other machine My connection will work fine for 2-5 minutes and then it just stops working. The signal strength still shows as "Very Good" and it seems to be sending packets but not recieving any. I've tried to enable and disable MS's built in firewall but that doesn't help the situation. I've also checked the outgoing traffic logs and seen a few requests going out to a bots.fear.org on port 6667 ( i figured it was a trojan ) scanned mysystem, found nothing turned out to be spyware got rid of it but the problem is still occuring. (complete and total inability to connect to the net)

Sometimes I am able to connect but at a VERY slow speed, slower than 56K, and when this happens I get a lot of timeout errors. The wireless machine is my gaming station and it gets very annoying to be in the middle of a good PT(for all you gamers out there) and my ping rate drops to zero and then i am booted from the game. Im very frustrated and its beginning to affect my ability to think clearly on the problem so I came here hoping SOMEONE has a clue as to what is going on. Oh! before I forget, the problem clears up when I log out and log back in or sometimes I have to reboot. But then after 5 minutes of a successful net connection i stop sending or recieving packets..sometimes...i send packets but cant recieve any. I know this sounds wierd but any and all feedback would be appreciated.

System info

256RA
1.6ghz P
WinXP Home Editio
no service packs or updates installed *

**Whenever I install the service packs or any of the crit updates I get wierd glitches concerning my network connections. I am unable to create network connections or to see my dial up connections. So I avoid the issue by not installing any updates and running regular V scans and having a fairly tight firewall..i know it isnt the safest but this is only a gaming station.

G

okay so last night i ran allthe updates needed and disabled the WZC, re-enabled SSID broadcast, blocked off port 6667, ran an updated version of Nortons systems works on BOTH machines and I thought I had cleared the problem, however after about an hour of a constant streaming connection, it began to go wonky again. however, now the problem has sort of changed. The application Im using (game) seems to lose connection with their server, however I am still able to surf the net and download other files just fine. Where as before once the game lost connection so did my browser and every other web reliant software I have. So the problem is as big an issue, however after doing tech support all day long I enjoy gaming at home..sigh.

Ask a Question