Linksys PCMCIA Card not recognized

Paul Goldman

After successfully installing a Linksys
WPC11 Wireless PCMCIA card, I noticed that I could no longer play music on
my Windows XP Home laptop. I uninstalled the PCMCIA card, which fixed the
music problem. When I went to reinstall the Linksys card, XP identified it
as a "PCMCIA UNKNOWN_MANUFACTURER" card, and even though I pointed the
driver installation to the correct subdirectory where the XP drivers were
(which I had successfully used the day before), the installation process did
not like those drivers. It seems to not be looking for Linksys drivers. I've
tried installing the drivers first, uninstalling the drivers, rebooting the
machine, etc. Now, everytime I try and install the card, it does not see it
as a Linksys card.

Any help out there??

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Visit http://www.linksys.com/download/ and download the latest
Windows XP drivers for your WPC11 card.

How do I configure my WPC11 under Windows XP?
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...F9sdmwxPTc2JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Paul Goldman" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| After successfully installing a Linksys
| WPC11 Wireless PCMCIA card, I noticed that I could no longer play music on
| my Windows XP Home laptop. I uninstalled the PCMCIA card, which fixed the
| music problem. When I went to reinstall the Linksys card, XP identified it
| as a "PCMCIA UNKNOWN_MANUFACTURER" card, and even though I pointed the
| driver installation to the correct subdirectory where the XP drivers were
| (which I had successfully used the day before), the installation process did
| not like those drivers. It seems to not be looking for Linksys drivers. I've
| tried installing the drivers first, uninstalling the drivers, rebooting the
| machine, etc. Now, everytime I try and install the card, it does not see it
| as a Linksys card.
|
| Any help out there??

Paul Goldman

I did downloaded the latest version of the XP drivers from the Linksys site.
I did not use the drivers from the installation CD. The problem is that the
Windows installation process does not recognize the card as a Linksys card,
so it does not try to install the drivers. XP thinks its a "PCMCIA
UNKNOWN_MANUFACTURER" card, so doesn't want to install the Linksys drivers.
There must be something in the registry now, because when I initially
installed the card several days ago, XP did correctly identify it as a
Linksys card. Any ideas??

Nathan McNulty

You can check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\

I'm not sure what PCMCIA shows up as as I don't have my laptop with me.
You may be able to find it in there and then you can remove the folder
that it is contained in.