linking entire word documents

M

Michael

I would like to link two identical documents. The source document is placed
on server X, the target document on sever Y. Changes on X should
automatically appear on Y. Is that possible, and how?
Thanks for responding!

M

macropod

Hi Michael,

Yes, via Insert|File (Word 97-2003) or Insert|Object|Text from File (Word 2007) and choosing the 'Insert as link' option.

Also check out the INCLUDETEXT field entry in Word's help file. Using an INCLUDETEXT field, any changes to the source file will be
reflected in the destination file. Plus, if you edit the linked data in the destination file, those changes can be replicated in the
source file by pressing Ctrl-Shift-F7 while the insertion point is in the INCLUDETEXT field's range.

M

Michael

Thanks very much! Your help makes my day!

macropod said:
Hi Michael,

Yes, via Insert|File (Word 97-2003) or Insert|Object|Text from File (Word 2007) and choosing the 'Insert as link' option.

Also check out the INCLUDETEXT field entry in Word's help file. Using an INCLUDETEXT field, any changes to the source file will be
reflected in the destination file. Plus, if you edit the linked data in the destination file, those changes can be replicated in the
source file by pressing Ctrl-Shift-F7 while the insertion point is in the INCLUDETEXT field's range.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Michael said:
I would like to link two identical documents. The source document is placed
on server X, the target document on sever Y. Changes on X should
automatically appear on Y. Is that possible, and how?
Thanks for responding!

Ask a Question