Like your job?

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hey Cirianz, I don't think you're ranting. It's very interesting to see how different people view the same subject, and to see how they resolve their issues such as home education.

Reaction score
I work in local govt. as head of a policy and research team...my career for around 18 years...get really ****ed off, but i get enough money and can't complain relative to lots of others I know. BUT, I have always liked the idea of being self-employed, and would love to make a living as a writer. Even considering an web retail business at the moment (selling bespoke kits for hiking, camping, survival, first aid, car etc....). Just too tired of looking at a word document on screen all day to want to do the same when I get home I guess.

I can see that it might work for some people to work as an employee for a while before going it alone, but I reckon if you have the right idea and the right commitment to work for it, then there's no reason not to get at it straight away.

There's an old saying: ''There's a big difference to 20 years experience and 1 years experience 20 times''..my point being that you could get a 'normal' job for 5 years and learn very little..you might even end up getting too comfortable and stuck in a rutt...in other words, use the desire to go your own way before you lose it. I reckon PCR has a massive potential as a real business.

I'll finish there before i ramble on too much.:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
1nteger, an interesting alternative point of view to my own.

I must admit I did think twice before saying get some experience first, I do know people who've left school and made a successful business for themselves, including, interestingly enough, dyslexic peeps.

However, I still think it's wise, if you're young, to get a feel for the 'real world' before you burn your bridges.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
well knock me down with a feather ... and I'll go to the top on the stairs ...

cirianz ... I have always said ... a WOMAN is a different animal to MAN ... no disrespect here. ;)

Listen people ... my 'education' was rubbish .. so too were the likes of Richard Branson ... now ... I know the 'Branson' Family ... yep, I do ... no bragging, sobering up her too. ;)

I'm sure they don't mind either me telling you that NON had a good education ... means squat in my book anyway.

I have a grandson, Sean, who despite being 14 has the mental age of 7 ... so social services say ... he can neither read nor write, though He Can 'sign' (write) his name ... nobody can read YOUR signature, right? ... can they?

HEY, but put this little fellow on a computer keyboard and watch him go ... now I can be a bombastic bugger, oh, you seen that, oh, ok, ... well I took in a clapped out PC in to Saen's school ... I'm Granddad, I will go where I like ... and ... well, cut another of muck's stories short ... the 'school' now has a few PC's.

Hell, I ain't bragging here, he still cannot read nor write ... but it don't arf confuse me when he asks how to 'spell' a word ... and then writes it on a keyboard ... I must try some dictation :D ... oh, don't have a printer attached, the little bugger will run you out of ink in one day. ;)

Hmmm, so what was all that about ... well ... what IS ... AN EDUCATION?

Me, I'm old school ... show me what you can do. ;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Bravo!!! I'll agree with you all the way here!

And many children who don't fit within the average range of accomplishment have been classed as 'retarded' or 'slow' by society &/or the education system. My own mother thought my boy was retarded (she is also a social worker by profession) yet he is one of the quickest & most intelligent children I have ever known. Einstein, who was also dyslexic, was classed as retarded as a child as well. All it means is that he thinks differently from most people.
Dyslexic children tend to think in concepts rather than words. Since a concept can be grasped in a fraction of a second whereas verbal thought tends to proceed at a rate not too much faster than speech you can figure that dyslexic people think much faster than average. The education system simply cannot cope with this. Most dyslexic children spend their school years feeling frustrated & thick in classes that require reading & frustrated & bored in classes dealing in more conceptual matters.

John's son, the Mechanic, used to get sent out of class to sit in the hallway at high school because his teacher said that he was so stupid that he wasn't worth teaching. He can read, but only slowly & with difficulty. He was lucky in that the school careers officer came past once & saw him sitting in the hall. He took the time to talk with him find out what he was interested in & that he learned best (& extreemly quickly) from touching & doing things with his hands. He helped get him an apprenticeship with a mechanic & into the polytech course on mechanics.
He had a gift from the start to be able to look at something, a system, as a whole & grasp how it worked almost instantly. This translated well into mechanics & also into business. He has a very keen business mind and I would be surprised if he doesn't go into business for himself eventually. Slowly he is coming to unlearn the notion that he his stupid that our education system pounded into him so thoughroughly.

Interestingly, My boy also can pick out letters on a keyboard that he can't write or recognise on a piece of paper. He also can write his name, he can also recognise some of the letters in his name when he sees them seperately. He cannot, however, recognise those same letters if I put them together into a small word. The computer is, however, my most useful educational tool & I am always on the lookout for good computer games suitable for his age (7-8) that do not require too much letter recognition. If anyone knows of any online games like this they are always appreciated. Especially ones that involve puzzles & mysteries to be solved BUT I am looking for fun games rather than those that call themselves "Educational".

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a bigger proportion of entrpreneurs who have no education than employees, but that would be expected as often entrpreneurs emerge from a system that leaves them nowhere else to go. On the other hand, employers look for educational qualifications because they are being asked to invest their money in someone who will have to learn and develop in a job/career. Learning doesn't end after school...if anything it gets tougher, so employers with any sense demand some evidence that their potential employee has the capacity to learn. My dad always said that you don't go to school to learn, you go to school to learn how to learn.

Ask Richard Branson and the likes if they ask for educated people as new recruits. I'm sure the answer would be yes.

If you have the qualifications and can get some work experienc eto add to your CV then its always a good thing, as it allows some time to reflect on what you really want to do. However, if you have a great idea and want to go it alone, look for a job in that field or close to it, and use the experience to develop your plan.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question, but you never know if you've made the right decision until a while on down the road from now.:thumb:

Ask a Question