Like your job?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking for jobs to apply to at the moment, and I'm looking for something that is something I'd actually enjoy for the next 40 years or so.

Does anyone here really enjoy their job, or really like being self-employed as opposed to working for someone else?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I enjoy my work and I prefer being self-employed.

But I think you really have to do a five year stint as employed before you even consider starting your own company, just to get a handle on the way things work, give you a bigger overview, so to speak.

I've enjoyed most of the jobs I've had, though some have been deadly dull.

Lemme see, I been a:

Ledger clerk.
Trainee reporter.
Reporter/Photographer.
Sub editor.
Employment agency interviewer.
Van driver.
Surveyor's assistant.
Customer liason officer.
Full time disc jockey.
Kitchen porter.
Breakfast & Veg chef (commis chef).
Barman.
Shop assistant.
Shop relief manager.
Shop manager.
Industrial radiographer.
Self employed parcel delivery.
Full time student (one year).
Electronic technician.
London Ambulance radio technician.
Sound engineer.
Self employed sound engineer/CCTV/Door entry/fire alarm etc.

Which is where I find myself today.

Probably missed a few there, but it was in that order :)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
I agree with Flopps, you need to work for someone else for a while in order to learn the ropes, and also to pick up on their pitfalls.

I can't claim to have had as many jobs as Flopps, but I've done a few different things, mainly based around the financial industry.

I worked my guts off for my last employer as Senior Manager for an international bank, then got laid off. So now it's the freelance world for me, and loving every minute of it.

It's nice to have flexibility, but it does have it's drawbacks, like holiday cover, sickness etc. You also have to be more financially stable as there isn't always the guarantee of money at the end of every months like there is with a salaried job.

Good luck with whatever you decide Ian.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I been working in Demoltion for a year now, and I love it. Seeing 35 ton machines taking down buildings is always fun to watch ;). And I know if I stick with it, it will be me taking the buildings down. I've only been there a year and I've already learned how to drive a dumper truck, 360 Excavator, scissor lift, cherry picker and im certified to remove asbestos :blush:.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a good job you got there reef, skilled and lottsa fun :)

There will always be a need for demolition, especially after all those sixties architects were give free reign - they shouldda been jailed for crimes against humanity :D

Asbestos removal - I seen that, guys looking like spacemen and walking big clear plastic sheeting corridors. There's still a lot of asbestos in London schools.

I've used a cherry picker a few times for CCTV and mounting loudspeakers high up.

Me still don't feel comfortable in those things :blush:

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Well, being of quite a tender young age, my only 'proper job' so far is as a Merchandising Co-ordinator at my local Comet. I wouldnt wish this job on my worst enemy!

But as for the freelance journalism thing, it's blooming wonderful :) Can be quite hard work at times, but it's never anything less than an incredible amount of fun. Plus it's nice to be able to do as little/much work as you want to do.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Me? I work in Sainsburies.

Not a good career path. Thank god its only part time

When I was your your age (or a little earlier, I think, maybe 16) I worked at Tescos in Bromley, Kent. Was supposed to be shelf filling but somehow ended up repairing toys :confused:

Also washed up in a steak restaurant, every Saturday, 6-12 midnight.

Early days mate, anything to earn a buck, you no worry.

Reaction score
I got me a job at a Moto Service station, Junction 10 M40, and it pays me ok, seeing as i am 16, 17 in a week, aswell as studying my a-levels,

this will sound either stupid or common, but why not a business in i.t, loadsa people want/need upgrades and end up paying loads, its a big market, but also a competitive 1,

still, good luck

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers for the tips guys :) It's so hard when I need to figure out which sector to go into, as if I don't go into Engineering now then I never will.

What sort of Finance stuff do you do CITech? I've been looking into that a bit more recently, as its something I should be able to go into with my degree.

Reef, that sounds like sooooo much fun :D Amazes me how things seem to be taken down so quickly, especially skyscrapers in busy areas - no idea how they do it as it just appears to be dismantled!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What do you want to do? Have you got the required qualifications? Have you any experience? Where is the majority of the companies based, that you may be interested in? Would you, could you up roots and go abroad? What are the "big boys" looking for in you as a person? What are they looking for?

Asking us what we do and are we happy is not really a question. ... err, at my age, I've wasted it and I cannot turn back the clock. Lost count at the jobs I've had and can only say I ever liked/enjoyed two. Also, when I was young (stop laughing) one could jump from job to job skilled or not from one day to the next. Now, I live off DHSS and cannot work.

One of my brothers used to work for IBM as a Procurement Manager ... he spent more time in America and Europe then the UK ... He was on a "good number" as I would call it, but he jacked it all in ... now he is struggling to bring up a new family and has no real job prospects.

My Niece is also getting to the stage where she has "had enough" of what I would deem, a bloody good job ... her wages packet is sick, grouse and indecent and would put a third world country's income to shame ... she would rather be a librarian. However, she has got here head screwed on and by 45 she will retire, and become a librarian.

Jack, another brother, has his own offshore rig ... not sure what, never bothered asking ... he could have retired 10 years ago. He will have to 'retire' soon as he is suffering health problems and if he don't quit, will kill himself ... but he likes what he does and is his own boss.

Anne, my big sister, is working because she has to ... actually she doesn't need to as Lisa, my Niece her daughter, would easily 'look after her' but Anne is Anne, she will wait till 65 and then finally give up work ... she works in Tesco.

There you go ... from one family we have quite a mixture of experiences ... one out of six is happy enough, not bad odds really.

;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
What sort of Finance stuff do you do CITech? I've been looking into that a bit more recently, as its something I should be able to go into with my degree.
Hi Ian

I used to look after all the operations functions for the offshore division. A wide ranging role, but my specific area of concern was IT, covering infrastructure design for voice and data, support and maintenance systems, project management, requirment and gap analysis. Last major job was Project Manager for a complete new multi-million pound banking system.

Currently looking after individual issues since going freelance, but I consider work for all sorts of areas of IT.

Hope this helps. If you want more, PM me.

Reaction score
I've only had four jobs in my life: Royal Navy for 8 years, Group 4 Security for 3 weeks, ICI for 4 years and Refco Overseas for the last 10. I currently work on a Trading Floor providing network/desktop/application support. I like my current job, but since I've been off for the last 8 weeks after having my op, turns out that the owner was hiding bad debts to the tune of $340million! The company was put up for sale but we still haven't been bought and times are tense with everyone very concerned about their jobs. Even worse being off during this time as paranoia sets in a bit, out of sight out of mind etc..

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Ian, it sounds to me that the first thing you need to do is find out what it is that you WANT to do (I'm 38 now & still trying to figure out what it is that I want to be when I grow up) Then go for it! Even if it means crap wages for hard work, do what it is that you want to do, even if it's not the 'sensible' thing to do. You have no idea how long, or short, your life is going to be, but you are going to be spending a large percentage of it at work (wether for yourself or someone else) and it's not just a cute saying, life really is far too short to spend being miserable. As much as possible do things that you love doing.

In practical terms, if you are going to go into business for yourself, learn the tax laws!!! Because, if it's anything like over here, there will be loads & loads of little things that you are entitled to claim for that your accountant will never bother to tell you about because they are just extra paperwork & aren't included in the standard accounting software package they use. Obviously the Inland revenue dept will not bother to tell you about them either!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I work at a large UK pottery manufacturer as Kiln Team leader/ Manager and have so for 18 years now, starting out at the very bottom . I have taken every training course going from Train the Trainer through Employment law and lean manufacturing and countless more..Am know starting to wonder if it is what i want though ..Its past its excitement stage and now has become boring.. I sometimes look back and wish i had done this and that but really when you are young i don`t think you realise how important your future is.When you have stayed with the same employer for so long you become very wary of the BIG working world out there . I dont know if i am giving my son good advice he is 12 but i am trying to persuade him to look to learn a trade , Plumbing ,Bricklaying ..that sort of thing ..
Is this sound ?? or should i let him just go with the flow of life

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Rush said:
I dont know if i am giving my son good advice he is 12 but i am trying to persuade him to look to learn a trade , Plumbing ,Bricklaying ..that sort of thing ..
Is this sound ?? or should i let him just go with the flow of life

Plumbers can get paid soooooo much and will always be in demand :thumb: I'd let him go with the flow, but give him the scoop on learning a trade and see where he ends up. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, unless you're cut out for something quite exclusive, I can say with some authority that electricians and plumbers will never go short of a penny or two.

Of course nowadays you have to be qualified, electricians need latest Euro qualification, minimum two years study, mostly learning Euro/Brit standards and plumbers need to be CORGI registered, which of course invloves studying.

And neither trade should be denigrated, although often manual in nature, there's quite a lot of skill involved.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And neither trade should be denigrated, although often manual in nature, there's quite a lot of skill involved.

Couldn't agree more! So much emphasis has been put on going to uni nowadays (50% is the target!), and yet I don't see the point... 50% of jobs don't need degrees, they need experience.

There's a massive lack of builders, plumbers, etc... and I know that some of these trades can command really good wages (better than most graduates thats for sure!). :thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Couldn't agree more! So much emphasis has been put on going to uni nowadays (50% is the target!), and yet I don't see the point... 50% of jobs don't need degrees, they need experience.

There's a massive lack of builders, plumbers, etc... and I know that some of these trades can command really good wages (better than most graduates thats for sure!). :thumb:

I would have to agree with that 100% We are shoveling students through university as if that somehow leaves them better qualified for the job market yet more & more our market is getting flooded with business & commerce graduates & there's just nowhere for them to go. Yet the demand for builders, plumbers & electricians is so high that most builders, over here anyway, are booked up for more than a year in advance. When I made enquiries about getting a room built on for my daughter I was told that the soonest the builders would be able to 'book me in' (I tried several companies) would be in 2 years time.

I also think that far too much prestige is placed on having a degree. One of John's boys is a mechanic, he is skilled & indeed highly gifted in his field and certainly highly intelligent. He worked hard to get where he is, & to get the qualifications that he has. Why is his job given less prestige than yet another accountant or lawyer? Why are his qualifications & experience given less credibility? And he certainly could walk into a new job more easily. The market is flooded with lawyers & accountants etc, most of whom studied these subjects because it was a 'good career move' rather than because they loved the subjects & wanted to pursue that career (NB I am generalising here, there are definite exceptions of course) Yet the market is crying out for skilled tradesmen & women.

I am not just asking a rhetorical question here either. I have a degree & I worked hard to get it, but I didn't work harder than Ashley & I certainly would never claim to be more intelligent or 'learned' than him. He knows things in his field that I could never hope to grasp, because that is just not my gift.
It also frustrates me that, more & more the aprenticing system of learning is being replaced by 'book learning' Obviously there are some things that are easier to teach from books, but there are also many things that can really only be taught by demonstration & practice. Performance in an exam is often no indicator of actual skill level.

My son is dyslexic, my primary tools in teaching him (I home school my children) are through games activities & Audio Video material. He is highly intelligent & learns quickly. But when my friends & family ask how his education is going they don't want to hear about that. They want to know if he can read yet. I work very hard to try & avoid him coming to think of his difference as making him somehow inferior, (indeed he has many conceptual & perceptual gifts that are also a consequence of his dyslexia that will give him a significant advantage if he chooses to go into a career in the Arts, business, Atheletics, science or the trades.) But it is difficult when all that his family ask me & HIM about is how his reading lessons are going.

I'm sorry, I have gone on about this rather a lot I'm afraid. As you can probably tell, it is something that I feel very strongly about. I apologise if I have offended (or bored) anyone with my little rant.

Ask a Question