AI could eliminate 250,000 public sector jobs within 15 years

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
London-based think tank Reform has published a report suggesting that artificial intelligence (AI) could be used to streamline the public sector workforce, resulting in redundancies of around 250,000. Tech Radar has more:

We keep hearing about how robots or AI are set to replace humans in employment roles as we move into the next decade, and another claim has popped up on this front, predicting that almost 250,000 jobs in the public sector will get this treatment.

According to Reform, a think-tank organisation, over the next 15 or so years a massive amount of admin staff could be replaced by switching over to websites and AI chat bots (of the sort which have become much talked about over the last year or so – for example with Skype).

The prediction for the year 2030 sees 130,000 public sector admin staff being replaced by bots, which is the vast majority of those workers down at Whitehall – with claimed savings to the tune of £2.6 billion annually.

Read more at Tech Radar and Reform.

Reaction score
I can only talk about Local Authorities as I used to work for Kent County Council and my good Lady still works for them (bless her soul). The big trouble is over management and tears of managers who earn massive wages. So when you look at Local authorities that is City, Borough and County Councils too much is spent on senior and middle management and when it comes to a financial squeeze services suffer but not very often not the senior management.:cry:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If the AI is anything remotely like what we have in games, then I'm moving to the Moon!

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The prediction for the year 2030 sees 130,000 public sector admin staff being replaced by bots, which is the vast majority of those workers down at Whitehall – with claimed savings to the tune of £2.6 billion annually.

I wonder how much we will have to pay out in housing benefit and dole to those 130,000. As all the other cost cutting ideas the last few governments have come up with have all cost extra money in the end. :rolleyes:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Robot.JPG

Good old Customer Service. :D

Ask a Question