Your Job??

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I am just a Team Leader of 26 men .. My manager has been off for 4 wks with a bad back (slipped disc) will be off for a while longer. So now i have to cover 24/7 and shutdown TPM. We bought a caravan last year to enjoy weekends..i have had 2(weekends off ) this year..where do i stand legally?? . My wife is threatinging me ..the Big D

please help as my Works Manager does not give a toss, and i dont know what to do without jeapordising my job ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
How about talking to the boss of your boss?

Tell him how you feel.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate :( I'm no expert in employment law, but someone else here may know a thing or two.

How many hours a week are you working, is it way more than normal?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Maybe you could develop a slipped disc as well.

Tread carefully, there's a lot of unemployment about.

Would your wife prefer you to be free weekends with no money coming in or carry on as you are?

It's a fine line between moral standpoints and going hungry so as I said, tread carefully.

And FWIW you have my sympathies.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems Rush :( ...not sure if this might give you some general pointers HERE and, there is also a new, confidential, "Pay and Work Rights Helpline" HERE (same website, but different page.) Wishing you good luck, hope things will work out for you. :nod:

Reaction score
I'd say get the flu for yourself m8 but what Flopp's said about treading carefully is good advice, considering the economy and all that.....who do you ring if you get sick or have an accident. If you continue this pattern of working 24/7 you will run yourself into the ground and could cause yourself an accident or make yourself really ill. We are not robots and we do feel stress. Take care and i hope you find a way around this.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have been through really bad phase in my life lately. I concur with what Flops said and that is sane advice, you better hold on to that job as they are very hard to come by.Here in the US folks with Doctorate and Masters are delivering pizzas and even that job is now having competition
nod.gif
Can you imagine what the feeling would be like when one delivers the pizza and get no tip? The folks who are buying pizzas are also going through the financial crunch and they in turn dump their problems on the poor guy who is trying to survive delivering pizzas.

Don't say we dit not caution you about the consequences. You are blessed and we sincerely hope to continue to be blessed with the job.

I can very well relate to what you are currently going through and you have my sympathies.

Reaction score
Elf & Safety at work is getting silly, we even now have a unit safety officer.
That said they are hot on sending people on the right courses for the job you undertake.

Reaction score
I would talk to your boss' boss too. No good going on like this.

I would also be scouring the job sites too if I were you, see if you can find somewhere you'll be more appreciated.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice folks...Have persevered and seemed i got the GM wrong , he has been very supportive and seeing as i am the Dep Manager things have changed...Been away for the weekend with the family and decided to "Toughen up" , really really do appreciate the feedback folks...Thanks.

Will be back posting regularly soon..A large life wake up call has occured

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's working out well mate, it sounds like you're on the road to getting things sorted :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Rush said:
Will be back posting regularly soon..A large life wake up call has occured

Consider yourself lucky to have got that wake up call, many miss out on that one. Glad to hear things have sorted out. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Really glad to hear that things are working out for you Rush :thumb: All the best to you :D

Ask a Question