(Legible) Help Can't get "Folder Redirection"

Roger

I can't get past step one, from the "How to configure Folder Redirection"
section of "User Data and Settings Management" located at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/XPUsrDat.asp

Can't find "Active Directory Users and Computers" anywhere in Administrative
tools.

--- Quote ----

To configure Folder Redirection:

1. To start the Group Policy snap-in from the Active Directory Users and
Computers snap-in, click Start, point to Programs, click Administrative
Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.

2. In the MMC console tree, right-click the domain or the OU for which to
access Group Policy, click Properties, and click Group Policy.

3. To create a new Group Policy object (GPO), right-click the domain or OU
you want to associate with the GPO, select Properties from the context menu,
and then in the domain or OU container's Properties page, click the Group
Policy tab.
--- endquote ---

From my MMC console, no "domain" or "OU" exists just a "Console Root". When
I add the "Group Policies" snap-in a "Local Computer Policy" tree is added,
but No "Folder Redirection" exists in any subtrees.

Is this because I'm not connected to a LAN. I am set up to share a few
folders with a seperate PC, but that PC remains off most of the time.

Many thanks for any ideas,

Roger R.
Fullerton, CA
(e-mail address removed)

Paul Adare

microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin news group, Roger
I can't get past step one, from the "How to configure Folder Redirection"
section of "User Data and Settings Management" located at:

This is your third post on this subject. I answered your first one,
pasted the answer from the first in response to your second one. I'll do
it one more time, but you really need to follow _one_ of the threads
you've started on this subject, rather that beginning new ones all of
the time.

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:45:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Folder Redirection on XP Pro SP1
From: Paul Adare <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin news group, Roger
Help - Required Menu options are missing for setting up
Folder Redirection.

No Folder Redirection options exist with either MMC group
policy snap-in, or from Programs/Administrative tools
menu. No "Active Directory Users and Computers" menu.

Is your computer actually a member of a domain? Active Directory Users
and Computers is a tool that is used to manage a domain, if you're not
in a domain, you won't be able to use Active Directory Users and
Computers. Even if you are in a domain, Active Directory Users and
Computers does not exist on a XP computer by default. You need to
install it as part of the Administrative Tools package, which is only
available from a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 computer
(\\servername\admin$\system32\adminpak.msi).
I can get MMC console from the RUN command, but
no "domain" or "OU" just a "Console Root" with one "Local
Computer Policy" tree after adding the "Group Policies"
snap-in. No "Folder Redirection" exists in any subtrees.

This is by design, you can't use Group Policy for folder redirection
unless your computer is a member of a domain. All of the Intellimirror
technolgies require a domain.
Is this because I'm not connected to a LAN. I am set up
to share a few folders with a seperate PC, but that PC
remains off most of the time.

If your computer is not on a network, then how do you think you're going
to be able to redirect the folders to another computer in the first
place? If you really do have a network, but if the other computer is off
most of the time, then again, how are you planning on accessing the
redirected folders if the computer you've redirected them to is not
turned on?

What are you really trying to accomplish here? It sounds like you're
trying to do something that folder redirection is not designed to do. If
you tell us what your goal is, we maybe able to suggest a way to
accomplish that goal that is actually possible.

<snip>

Roger

Thanks Paul,

I'm happy with this thread, and I'll stick to it from now on.

My original thread of 11/15 @ 11pm never showed from the Web interface.
Hence my 2nd repost, pasted into my newsreader client, which unwittingly
produced an unformatted mess, hence my 3rd post.

At any rate, I'm greatful you recognized my missuse of folder redirection.

Since, defrag won't work on root c:, for lack of free space, my plan was to
attempt folder redirect of my user files to a spacious partition on the same
machine.

It is my fault for designing an XP root with only 2GB, eventhough no
applications are installed there, the windows \system directory gets bloated
fast.

So, hoping to avoid risk & investment in partition resizing tools, I got
excited by references to folder redirect on the same machine.

Although, I clearly fumble with network admin concepts, it was this XP help
topic titled "Redirect special folders to a specific path," which started my
novice abuse of this Intellimirror stuff.

--- Quote ---
To redirect special folders to a specific path

1. Open a Group Policy object that is linked to the site, domain, or
organizational unit that contains the users whose special folders you want
to redirect.
--- endQuote ---

I didn't know if I could utilize an existing LAN setup to this end, rarly
used for backups only.

Using XP Pro SP1, Is it possible to create a site, domain, or organizational
unit with a single-user (admin), then link it to a Group Policy object?

Many Thanks,

[...]

Folder redirection is not what you want then, you want to mount an NTFS
partition on to an existing folder. Have a look in Computer
Management/Disk Management.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and start over again, with a more
reasonably sized partition for the OS.

Using XP Pro SP1, Is it possible to create a site, domain, or organizational
unit with a single-user (admin), then link it to a Group Policy object?

No, you need a domain controller to do this, and that requires one of
the server operating systems.

Roger

Paul,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this one. I ultimately had
to bite the bullet and scratched out my root partion an extra 2GB.

I did find out how to get user folders off the root partition, without
"Folder Redirection", domains, or server software. 'Right-drag the folder
to its desired new location and select "Move Here"'. This manuever does not
update registry MRU's, but I soon discovered MRU keys can be disabled for
security reasons anyway.

I moved My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, SendTo, & Start Menu folders from
the root, along with waxing windows components like Games, etc., which got
me to 30% free space. Compressing the drive to save disk space got me to
31% free, but Defrag still needed more room to finish its job. The real
gain I got seemed to be faster desktop wallpaper between window tasks.
Perhaps adding user activity to an otherwise solitary swap disk resulted in
less disk-spin-up.

For anyone else who's interested, the XP powertoy Tweak UI "Special Folders"
may list the only ../client user folders in XP that can be relocated in this
way. Moving other user folders caused sharing violations. Moving the
"Quick Launch" folder caused a "Cannot Create Toolbar" error. A script at
www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_toolbar_error.htm recreates the Quick
Launch folder.

Thanks again Paul.

Roger R.