HELP Can't Get "Folder Redirection" on XP Pro SP1

Roger

I can't get past step one, from the "How to configure Folder Redirection"
section of "User Data and Settings Management" located
at:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/XPUsrDat.a
sp Can't find "Active Directory Users and Computers" anywhere in
Administrative tools.--- Quote ----To configure Folder Redirection: 1. To
start the Group Policy snap-in from the Active Directory Users and Computers
snap-in, click Start, point to Programs, click Administrative Tools, and
then click Active Directory Users and Computers.2. In the MMC console tree,
right-click the domain or the OU for which to access Group Policy, click
Properties, and click Group Policy. 3. To create a new Group Policy object
(GPO), right-click the domain or OU you want to associate with the GPO,
select Properties from the context menu, and then in the domain or OU
container's Properties page, click the Group Policy tab. ...--- end
quote ---From my MMC console, no "domain" or "OU" exists just a "Console
Root". When I add the "Group Policies" snap-in a "Local Computer Policy"
tree is added, but No "Folder Redirection" exists in any subtrees.Is this
because I'm not connected to a LAN. I am set up to share a few folders with
a seperate PC, but that PC remains off most of the time.Many thanks for any
ideas,Roger R.Fullerton, (e-mail address removed)

Paul Adare

microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin news group, Roger
I can't get past step one, from the "How to configure Folder Redirection"
section of "User Data and Settings Management"
I answered the first post you made on this subject yesterday. Rather
than reposting your question, you need to be following your original
thread.
Here's the response to your original question:

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:45:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Folder Redirection on XP Pro SP1
From: Paul Adare <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin news group, Roger
Help - Required Menu options are missing for setting up
Folder Redirection.

No Folder Redirection options exist with either MMC group
policy snap-in, or from Programs/Administrative tools
menu. No "Active Directory Users and Computers" menu.

Is your computer actually a member of a domain? Active Directory Users
and Computers is a tool that is used to manage a domain, if you're not
in a domain, you won't be able to use Active Directory Users and
Computers. Even if you are in a domain, Active Directory Users and
Computers does not exist on a XP computer by default. You need to
install it as part of the Administrative Tools package, which is only
available from a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 computer
(\\servername\admin$\system32\adminpak.msi).
I can get MMC console from the RUN command, but
no "domain" or "OU" just a "Console Root" with one "Local
Computer Policy" tree after adding the "Group Policies"
snap-in. No "Folder Redirection" exists in any subtrees.

This is by design, you can't use Group Policy for folder redirection
unless your computer is a member of a domain. All of the Intellimirror
technolgies require a domain.
Is this because I'm not connected to a LAN. I am set up
to share a few folders with a seperate PC, but that PC
remains off most of the time.

If your computer is not on a network, then how do you think you're going
to be able to redirect the folders to another computer in the first
place? If you really do have a network, but if the other computer is off
most of the time, then again, how are you planning on accessing the
redirected folders if the computer you've redirected them to is not
turned on?

What are you really trying to accomplish here? It sounds like you're
trying to do something that folder redirection is not designed to do. If
you tell us what your goal is, we maybe able to suggest a way to
accomplish that goal that is actually possible.

<snip>