Last Domain controller

win2knewbie

I am trying to demote the last Domain Controller in a
domain. The problem is according to AD the is another DC.
This is becuase I had reinstalled a DC without demoting
it. Well now I need to remove that record before I can
demote the last domain controller. It there anyway I can
do this? I have tried deleting it from AD User and
Computers and all I get is you cannot delete a DSA record.
Please help

Michael

I did not understand, did you dcpromo the DC that you
reinstalled to take it out of AD or did it crash?
Michael

David Brandt [MSFT]

You'll need to do a metadata cleanup for it first, to remove the old dc's
info from AD, using ndtsutil in the following article;
216498 HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

You might also try doing a forced demotion using the article below, and it
may work anyway since it appears that you're re-building the entire domain;
332199 Using the DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL Command to Force the Demotion of
Active
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=332199

--
David Brandt
Microsoft Corporation

newsgroup purposes only.

A.J. Fried

I am trying to demote the last Domain Controller in a
domain. The problem is according to AD the is another DC.
This is becuase I had reinstalled a DC without demoting
it. Well now I need to remove that record before I can
demote the last domain controller. It there anyway I can
do this? I have tried deleting it from AD User and
Computers and all I get is you cannot delete a DSA record.
Please help

You need to use ADSIEdit - part of the "support tools" tools (not the
resource kit) on the Win2K server CD.

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

A.J.,

Thank you for promoting the Support Tools. They are one of my favorite set
of tools. I might suggest to you that you use the Support Tools from the
WIN2000 Service Pack rather than using them from the WIN2000 Server CD.
There have been some changes and corrections to the Support Tools and you
miss out on these when using the Server CD.

Cary

A.J. Fried

Cary Shultz said:
A.J.,

Thank you for promoting the Support Tools. They are one of my favorite set
of tools. I might suggest to you that you use the Support Tools from the
WIN2000 Service Pack rather than using them from the WIN2000 Server CD.
There have been some changes and corrections to the Support Tools and you
miss out on these when using the Server CD.

Good point. I wasn't actually aware that these got updated via a
Win2K service pack. I was just trying to stress that these tools are
NOT part of the resource kit as one might expect, but rather part of
the core server install and just not installed by default.

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

Understood!

Just as an FYI - you can also download them from the MS Web Site...but if
you have the Service Pack CD, why bother with a download. Now, having said
that, I have to add that I have not compared the download Support Tools with
the SP4 Support Tools.

Cary