Windows XP Laptop rebuilt with illegal copy of XP pro!!

Reaction score
Hi,
A mate has asked me to have a look at her old laptop and clear any junk off, install antivirus software and so on. She had previously had it looked at by another mate who did a rebuild. Now the problem is that this previous shady character installed XP Pro when the original license was home edition. XP now tells me it has been pirated, I tried to use the product key off the sticker on the bottom of the machine but because this other muppet used XP pro it wont work.

What are my options?

I have an XP home disc (SP1) - could I legally use that to reinstall windows using the genuine product key for the machine? Would it then automatically update to SP3 (or whatever the latest is...?)

The laptop was bought over 3 years ago and didn't come with any disks so any support from that end will be a non starter I guess.

Secondly, how easy is it to reinstall windows, is it as simple as inserting the CD and following the prompts or do I need to format first? Whats the process?

Help appreciated!

Neil.

Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Hi,
A mate has asked me to have a look at her old laptop and clear any junk off, install antivirus software and so on. She had previously had it looked at by another mate who did a rebuild. Now the problem is that this previous shady character installed XP Pro when the original license was home edition. XP now tells me it has been pirated, I tried to use the product key off the sticker on the bottom of the machine but because this other muppet used XP pro it wont work.

What are my options?

I have an XP home disc (SP1) - could I legally use that to reinstall windows using the genuine product key for the machine? Would it then automatically update to SP3 (or whatever the latest is...?)

The laptop was bought over 3 years ago and didn't come with any disks so any support from that end will be a non starter I guess.

Secondly, how easy is it to reinstall windows, is it as simple as inserting the CD and following the prompts or do I need to format first? Whats the process?

Help appreciated!

Neil.

**** easy to re-install window..What was the original OS before said muppet installed pro..? Get a copy of that OS and use the product key that is on the laptop..Job done

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When you re-install Windows Home, you'll need to do a clean install - which will wipe everything from the laptop (so be sure to back everything up!). :)

What make is the laptop, as many of them come with "System Restore Partitions" that let you reset the laptop to how it was when first bought. I can look up how to access if (if it has one) with the name of the make.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As mentioned, tis easy to reinstall. Boot from the Windows Home CD and when you're prompted, choose to format the partition where Windows XP Home will be installed. That will wipe XP Pro for good.

The laptop may not have come with a disk but it should have come with a key for XP Home which, as mentioned in a previous post here, should be stuck on the machine somewhere. If it isn't check the documentation that came with it.

But your best bet is to do what Ian has suggested and restore the machine to it's original state from the restore partition. Check the original documentation for instructions on how to do this.

And yes, XP is up to SP3 now.

PS: Before reinstalling XP Home, check with your friend if there's anything she wants to keep and back it up to a CD, DVD or USB memory stick (pix; music; Outlook bookmarks/favourites; e-mails; office documents; that sort of thing).

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

I did a reinstall before the advice about using the restore partition.

Question now - is there a free utility that will scan for where device drivers are required, download and install them?

I have found a couple that require payment once they have scanned.

I have everything essential all set up now but would good to be sure, and also to know for future use!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All drivers should be freely available, don't pay for any, those sites are a con and often infect your machine with malware.

Go the manufacturer's website, drivers should be available there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What's the make and model number of the laptop out of interest?

Reaction score
Toshiba Satellite A70 part number - PSA70A-OWJOOW

It has a built in wireless card that i cant seem to get working? Managed to install a PCMCIA wireless card I had though but would like to get the built in card working?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Go to Toshiba Australia, click on mobile computing, then to the support section/download section - then navigate to your model and they are all there
nod.gif

Ask a Question