Laptop not able to surf

G

I have a laptop that I brought home from work. Before I left I synchronized some files so that I would work 'offline.'

I came home and plugged the laptop into my router and could surf the web perfectly fine. I disconnected it and now I can't anymore. Under network connections, it indicates the LAN is "enabled" so it knows it's there. When I unplug the lan cable, it says "a network cable has been unplugged."

However, when I try and surf a web page, a box comes up that says I'm offline and it asks me to connect via modem to the company dialup. I don't understand why the network connection is recognized, yet I can't surf on it anymore...it worked fine the first time I plugged it in.

I'm using xp pro.

If you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

G

Chris,

This happened to me. Of course the reasons may be different. Having little Windows XP expertise, I relied on the program to solve the problem, and tried REPAIRING THE CONNECTION from my Network Connections folder. What I discovered was that if you have wireless and ethernet both enabled, and they both connect through the router, you may have a conflict if XP tries to bridge them (so that a computer connected to you through wireless can see a computer connected to you through ethernet). This is because XP will see the same thing (the router) connected to you at both points, and disagree with the router's address the second time, I guess.

Summary: Try disabling whichever connection (from inside NETWORK CONNECTIONS) you're NOT using to surf

Then try repairing the connections again

If you find a bridge in your Network Connections folder, try deleting the bridge (assuming that the Operating System put it there automatically)

I hope this helps

----- Chris J. wrote: ----

I have a laptop that I brought home from work. Before I left I synchronized some files so that I would work 'offline.'

I came home and plugged the laptop into my router and could surf the web perfectly fine. I disconnected it and now I can't anymore. Under network connections, it indicates the LAN is "enabled" so it knows it's there. When I unplug the lan cable, it says "a network cable has been unplugged."

However, when I try and surf a web page, a box comes up that says I'm offline and it asks me to connect via modem to the company dialup. I don't understand why the network connection is recognized, yet I can't surf on it anymore...it worked fine the first time I plugged it in.

I'm using xp pro.

If you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

G

Thanks for the info. I asked someone in the office this morning and I needed to go the the Tools menu in IE and select Options, then the Connections tab. By default the office sets "always dial a connection." I needed to change it to "never dial" and then it would rely on the LAN connection provided by my home router.

Ask a Question