Laptop Harddrive

Reaction score
Hello =)

I am buying a used laptop soon, it is a Sager 5720-V:
2.0GHz Pentium M 750
2GB ram
80GB 5400rpm
7800GTX
I start school in August, and I am going to school for Computer Science... also in my free time I like creating 3-D models in programs such as 3DStudioMax, or Maya. I tend to have lots of big programs and huge files that I work on .. I use a LOT of space =/

My concern is that I won't have enough space in this 80gigs to hold everything I need. Also in this desktop I am running a raptor @ 10,000rpm =/ So I at least want to upgrade the harddrive in the laptop to 7200rpm. Would this be possible for me to do on my own? I would like to upgrade this drive to at least 100gb
Would I be able to add another harddrive as well? Or am I going to have to find some external drive? What external drive would you recommend? I would like this drive to have about 250gbs of space..speed doesn't really matter, but portability does.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Most Laptops use 2.5" 4800 and 5400 speed hard drives not 7200, if you want a 7200 then you could always add an external hard drive, but then portability becomes an issue because you would need to power it from the mains...

Best bet would be to buy a larger hard drive for the laptop and use the old 80gb drive as an external drive in a caddy then you wouldn't need external power for that as it would just run straight from the USB port and take its power from there...That way you could carry it with your laptop in your case or bag..:thumb:

Ask a Question