Cloud Storage

Reaction score
I have used an external local drive for many years to back-up my Windows PC.

Recently my external drive failed & I lost some files but my main data files on my PC were intact so I purchased a new external drive for back-ups.

I have become increasingly concerned that in the event of fire, theft etc. I could still lose all of my data, so have been researching Cloud back-up.

I am not interested in synchronising any other devices, I only want an ‘off site’ back-up for my data.

Microsoft One Drive is a non-starter as it would mean subscribing to Office 365.

Google Drive looks the most economic to me at £1.59 / month for 100GB.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Reaction score
I keep a copy of my personal backups at work and my work backups at home.

You could give a trusted friend or relative a drive that you rotate (one drive stays home, one drive is at the other site, and the other drive is the one that will be swapped with the offsite drive at next backup).

Reaction score
Thanks Bob but this wouldn’t work for me.

My data automatically backs up every 24 hrs. This would mean swapping external drives with someone off site every 24 hrs.

I would still be relying on an external drive which can & do fail.

Reaction score
Thanks Triplex, following your post, I had a look at the Amazon offers. Lots of alternatives.

They seem to be targeted to business or Android devices & look quite complicated. Also difficult to work out the cost. Do you have a particular Cloud option on Amazon in mind that would simply let me back up my data?

Reaction score
I do all my backups onto Pendrive and a multitude of HDD's mate, I don't use cloud unless associated with my xbox live account or iphone

Reaction score
I use Dropbox, and have for a few years now. It’s about $120 (I’m in oz) so I guess about £70 for the year for 1tb of storage. Automatically backs up your drive and you can access it from anywhere with an internet connection.

I wouldn’t be without it now. Not only is everything backed up, it’s easy to get to. I work at home on files, head into work and carry on, never an issue.

Reaction score
Thanks Bodhi. Good info. I will look at it again. I had originally discounted it because of the cost.

Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions.

I did a lot of research for the best cloud provider for backing up my important files ‘off site’ & found ‘IDrive’ ideal for my needs and was impressed by the IDrive system at an introductory price of £5.50 for the first year.

However I failed to calculate the ‘back up’ time needed for my slow internet connection (1mb/s download & 0.35mb/s upload).

After I set up IDrive & ran it, it virtually shut down my internet access for 3 days until I realized what was happening & closed the application. I calculated the time for the backup at 300+ hrs.

I am surprised that providers don’t mention a broadband speed requirement (unless I missed it)

So I have abandoned any hope of Cloud Backup and purchased a 1TB portable SSD to back up my data which I can easily take with me whenever I leave home.

Reaction score
No, or I would have done it. I live out in the sticks at the end of the line of 10 miles of copper cable. So until fibre reaches me, if ever, 1.5mb/s download & 0.5mb/s upload on a good day, is the best I can get.

I did try a satellite installation but it was fast but very expensive (Mainly due to Microsoft Updates) so had to scrap it. I had a 20GB monthly package at £31.95 per month which was consumed in 1.5 days!

The 1TB portable SSD to back up my data is working well & of course, no subscription charges for Cloud. I will get my money back in 3 years for the small inconvenience of unplugging my SSD & taking it with me when I leave home. Also no concerns about my data being in the cloud.

Ask a Question