Laptop had drive replacement options

Reaction score
My hard drive spindle is making noise all the time so it's time to replace it.
I own a Fujutsu Lifebook Model C2010 it has a 40 gig drive.
The company specs say 40 gig is the max, are they basing this on the maximum
hard drive this system can handle or is 40 gig the biggest drive they choose to offer ?
I'd like to upgrade to an 80 gig.

Can I buy any brand hard drive I want so long as it is a IDE ultra DMA 100 hard drive? I'm looking at the Hitachi TravelStar DK23FB 40gig drive. I want to make sure I'm not going to get into compatibility issues using a different manufacturer other than the fujutsu drive.

Anyone know a source to buy replacement screws other than the manufacturer ? I need a couple of screws for the screen that were lost when my cat decided to play hockey with them after 2 feel off the table.
Thanks!!!

Reaction score
BigTDawg said:
The company specs say 40 gig is the max, are they basing this on the maximum hard drive this system can handle or is 40 gig the biggest drive they choose to offer ?
What are the system specs ie; CPU speed, RAM and the Operating System?
These will be the deciding factor on how big a HDD you can get.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Any old pc stuff like a tower etc will have loads of screws you could salvage . Your bound to find something to fit eventually .

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As feckit said, which Operating System are you using?

And some specs would help too, processor speed and amount of memory for instance.

My gut feeling is that it will take an 80Gb drive ok and that it was just Fujitsu's limitation on it's own hard disk sizes at the time that applied here.

Reaction score
Specs are:
WIN XP Home Edition operating system

1.70GHz Mobile Intel® Pentium 4 Processor-M
512KB on-die L2 cache; 400MHz system bus speed; 32-bit bus architecture

512 RAM one DIMM slot in use to upgrade to 512MB total memory

I'm also inclined to thing Fujitsu used 40 gigs as the max, with 10 and 20gigs as entry level units. Maybe it was the biggest they though people would want or compatibility issues.

Arbarbarian, I do have an old tower that I'll check for screws, otherwise I'll buy screws from Fujitsu.
Heck I'll find a local shop and see what they can match up with junk lying around.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your specs are quite capable of accomodating a bigger hard disk, I can't see why you can't upgrade.

But don't quote me - I don't know for sure....

If you buy those screws from Fujitsu you'll pay an arm and a leg. Find a local computer shop and ask for help. With a little luck they'll sense a future customer and help you out.

Hell, they may even sell you an 80Gb Hard Disk.

Reaction score
I thought so floppybootstomp, this is my first drive replacement. Already backed up the data and I'll plug in the new disk and see what happens. The only downside I see is if the disk case is bigger.

Got an email from fujitsu tech support, " we don't recommend you go above spec due to the fact we have not researched larger drives in your unit model" "You should always buy oem spec and we advise you buy from a
Fujitsu authorized dealer or buy direct from Fujitsu" yea right, why pay more when I can buy the same disk for less.
Thanks.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you can afford to take the risk you coulkd get a 80GB hdd and if it works thats fine . If it won't work you can get a external enclosure for about £10 and use it as an external backup .

user.gif

Ask a Question