Laptop don't boot

Protagonist

Is it a virus?
Lately my HP pavilon 5500 laptop ran slow, than last night got a blue
screen , XP reporting 'cause some hardware or software problem, XP had
to shut down my lapton to protect my files.
Now it won't boot up.Can't even boot on my CD-rom, trying to use Norton
to get in.
I get the window logo where it sit's for a half minute, HD light
blinking, than the blue screen,than re-boots it's self.
Is it a hardware problem or virus?
Thx, Julius

Phil Weldon

'Protagonist' wrote:
| Is it a virus?
| Lately my HP pavilon 5500 laptop ran slow, than last night got a blue
| screen , XP reporting 'cause some hardware or software problem, XP had
| to shut down my lapton to protect my files.
| Now it won't boot up.Can't even boot on my CD-rom, trying to use Norton
| to get in.
| I get the window logo where it sit's for a half minute, HD light
| blinking, than the blue screen,than re-boots it's self.
| Is it a hardware problem or virus?
_____

Hardware or corrupted system files. Contact HP tech support.

Please cross-post rather than, as you have just done, multi-post.
To cross-post, place the newsgroup names, separated by commas, in the
'Newsgroups:' line.
The advantage is that the full thread will appear in each newsgroup,
everyone will get the benefit of ALL the replies, you will have to keep up
with just one newsgroup, efforts by those who reply will not be duplicated
or ignored, and for those who read more than one of the involved newsgroups
any message cross-posted will be marked 'read' after reading in one
newsgroup.

Also, please choose newsgroups carefully, and try not to cross-post to more
than three or four for the same message.

Phil Weldon

| Is it a virus?
| Lately my HP pavilon 5500 laptop ran slow, than last night got a blue
| screen , XP reporting 'cause some hardware or software problem, XP had
| to shut down my lapton to protect my files.
| Now it won't boot up.Can't even boot on my CD-rom, trying to use Norton
| to get in.
| I get the window logo where it sit's for a half minute, HD light
| blinking, than the blue screen,than re-boots it's self.
| Is it a hardware problem or virus?
| Thx, Julius

kurt wismer

Protagonist said:
Is it a virus?
Lately my HP pavilon 5500 laptop ran slow, than last night got a blue
screen , XP reporting 'cause some hardware or software problem, XP had
to shut down my lapton to protect my files.
Now it won't boot up.Can't even boot on my CD-rom, trying to use Norton
to get in.
I get the window logo where it sit's for a half minute, HD light
blinking, than the blue screen,than re-boots it's self.
Is it a hardware problem or virus?
Thx, Julius

pretty sure it's a hardware problem... booting from a cdrom would not
have involved any software already on the system and therefore would not
have been stopped by any software on the system - if you can't boot from
the cdrom then it seems like it's almost certainly a hardware problem...

Protagonist

kurt said:
pretty sure it's a hardware problem... booting from a cdrom would not
have involved any software already on the system and therefore would not
have been stopped by any software on the system - if you can't boot from
the cdrom then it seems like it's almost certainly a hardware problem...
Can it be the battery dead for the Bios?
Once i had that problem with an older PC.
Julius

Protagonist

kurt said:
pretty sure it's a hardware problem... booting from a cdrom would not
have involved any software already on the system and therefore would not
have been stopped by any software on the system - if you can't boot from
the cdrom then it seems like it's almost certainly a hardware problem...

Finely, I was able to write down the blue screen massage:
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP:0x000000ED

0x8678E900
0xC00009C
0x0000000
MS page refers here on this page for the stop massage!
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP

Any one can read into this?
Thx, Julius

David H. Lipman

From: "Protagonist" <[email protected]>

| Finely, I was able to write down the blue screen massage:
| UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
| STOP:0x000000ED
|
| 0x8678E900
| 0xC00009C
| 0x0000000
| MS page refers here on this page for the stop massage!
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP
|
| Any one can read into this?
| Thx, Julius

Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
not..

Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Seagate - SeaTools
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

Samsung - Disk manager
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

Phil Weldon

'David H. Lipman' wrote, in part:
| Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic
software
| respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard
disk is bad or
| not..
_____

Uh, David, it's a laptop that will not boot. How does the original poster
know the correct hard drive manufacturer. And even if the original poster
CAN discover the hard drive manufacturer, contacting the laptop manufacturer
technical support is the only way to go.

Phil Weldon

| From: "Protagonist" <[email protected]>
|

|| Finely, I was able to write down the blue screen massage:
|| UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
|| STOP:0x000000ED
|| 0x8678E900
|| 0xC00009C
|| 0x0000000
|| MS page refers here on this page for the stop massage!
|| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP
|| Any one can read into this?
|| Thx, Julius
|
| Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic
software
| respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard
disk is bad or
| not..
|
| Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
| http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
|
| Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
| http://support.wdc.com/download/
|
| Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
| http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
|
| Seagate - SeaTools
| http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
|
| Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
| http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/
|
| Samsung - Disk manager
| http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm
|

| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David H. Lipman

From: "Phil Weldon" <[email protected]>

| Uh, David, it's a laptop that will not boot. How does the original poster
| know the correct hard drive manufacturer. And even if the original poster
| CAN discover the hard drive manufacturer, contacting the laptop manufacturer
| technical support is the only way to go.
|
| Phil Weldon

Good Question Phil.

Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk bay and one can easily
see the manufacturer.

I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar hard disk.
I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected bad sectors and the
Laptop was again bootable.

Phil Weldon

'David H. Lipman' wrote:
| Good Question Phil.
|
| Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk bay
and one can easily
| see the manufacturer.
|
| I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar hard
disk.
| I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected bad
sectors and the
| Laptop was again bootable.
_____

I'd still recommend HP support and the possibility of in warranty repair
before removing the hard drive to obtain the manufacturer name. HP should
have a record of all the components used to build the laptop in question,
based on the serial number.

Of course, then the question for the original poster becomes what to do if
the drive warrants replacing; how to back up? I am not familiar with HP
model numbers, so I don't know how old an HP 5500 is likely to be, and the
likely warranty status.

Phil Weldon

| From: "Phil Weldon" <[email protected]>

|| Uh, David, it's a laptop that will not boot. How does the original
poster
|| know the correct hard drive manufacturer. And even if the original poster
|| CAN discover the hard drive manufacturer, contacting the laptop
manufacturer
|| technical support is the only way to go.
|| Phil Weldon
|
| Good Question Phil.
|
| Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk bay
and one can easily
| see the manufacturer.
|
| I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar hard
disk.
| I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected bad
sectors and the
| Laptop was again bootable.
|
| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Ernie B.

I'd still recommend HP support and the possibility of in warranty repair
before removing the hard drive to obtain the manufacturer name. HP should
have a record of all the components used to build the laptop in question,
based on the serial number.
Another possibility to get drive information would be to download and run
Belarc Advisor, <http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html>.

Protagonist

_____

I'd still recommend HP support and the possibility of in warranty repair
before removing the hard drive to obtain the manufacturer name. HP should
have a record of all the components used to build the laptop in question,
based on the serial number.

Of course, then the question for the original poster becomes what to do if
the drive warrants replacing; how to back up? I am not familiar with HP
model numbers, so I don't know how old an HP 5500 is likely to be, and the
likely warranty status.

Phil Weldon

| From: "Phil Weldon" <[email protected]>

|| Uh, David, it's a laptop that will not boot. How does the original
poster
|| know the correct hard drive manufacturer. And even if the original poster
|| CAN discover the hard drive manufacturer, contacting the laptop
manufacturer
|| technical support is the only way to go.
|| Phil Weldon
|
| Good Question Phil.
|
| Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk bay
and one can easily
| see the manufacturer.
|
| I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar hard
disk.
| I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected bad
sectors and the
| Laptop was again bootable.
|
| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.
http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
It fixes bad sectors/volum.
I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up "page
file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like that.
Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
very slow.
At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
has one or more errors.
Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
memory size window puts in.
First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
Get back later!

Phil Weldon

'Protagonist' wrote:
| Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
| Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up "page
| file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like that.
| Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| very slow.
| At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| has one or more errors.
| Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| memory size window puts in.
| First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| Get back later!
_____

Your hard drive is failing, and needs to be replaced as soon as possible,
before you lose the entire contents!
Also, be very careful about downloading any operating system files directly
from an unknown source, and relying on a blog for information. You are
playing with the future of your data.

Phil Weldon

| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > 'David H. Lipman' wrote:
| > | Good Question Phil.
| > |
| > | Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk
bay
| > and one can easily
| > | see the manufacturer.
| > |
| > | I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| > | I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar
hard
| > disk.
| > | I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected
bad
| > sectors and the
| > | Laptop was again bootable.
| > _____
| >
| > I'd still recommend HP support and the possibility of in warranty repair
| > before removing the hard drive to obtain the manufacturer name. HP
should
| > have a record of all the components used to build the laptop in
question,
| > based on the serial number.
| >
| > Of course, then the question for the original poster becomes what to do
if
| > the drive warrants replacing; how to back up? I am not familiar with HP
| > model numbers, so I don't know how old an HP 5500 is likely to be, and
the
| > likely warranty status.
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > |
| > |
| > ||
| > poster
| > manufacturer
| > ||
| > ||
| > |
| > | Good Question Phil.
| > |
| > | Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk
bay
| > and one can easily
| > | see the manufacturer.
| > |
| > | I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| > | I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar
hard
| > disk.
| > | I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected
bad
| > sectors and the
| > | Laptop was again bootable.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Dave
| > | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| > | http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
| > |
| > |

| Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
| Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up "page
| file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like that.
| Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| very slow.
| At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| has one or more errors.
| Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| memory size window puts in.
| First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| Get back later!

- Bobb -

and by choosing /r you're letting it "repair" whatever might not be 100%
good. If any of the data ( one word in a 100mb document for example) is
corrupted you MIGHT lose the whole document. Or you may end up with 80%
of the disk being flagged as BAD. I haven't reread eveything here, but
if this is an option - go to computer store ( or online) and buy an
adapter to allow you to put YOUR disk into a desktop PC. (It's not that
tough to do) and copy any of YOUR data to the "other disk drive in the
desktop". That way you will have all of YOUR data. The windows tough is
replaceable but yours may not be.

Protagonist

_____

Your hard drive is failing, and needs to be replaced as soon as possible,
before you lose the entire contents!
Also, be very careful about downloading any operating system files directly
from an unknown source, and relying on a blog for information. You are
playing with the future of your data.

Phil Weldon

| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > 'David H. Lipman' wrote:
| > | Good Question Phil.
| > |
| > | Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk
bay
| > and one can easily
| > | see the manufacturer.
| > |
| > | I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| > | I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar
hard
| > disk.
| > | I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected
bad
| > sectors and the
| > | Laptop was again bootable.
| > _____
| >
| > I'd still recommend HP support and the possibility of in warranty repair
| > before removing the hard drive to obtain the manufacturer name. HP
should
| > have a record of all the components used to build the laptop in
question,
| > based on the serial number.
| >
| > Of course, then the question for the original poster becomes what to do
if
| > the drive warrants replacing; how to back up? I am not familiar with HP
| > model numbers, so I don't know how old an HP 5500 is likely to be, and
the
| > likely warranty status.
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > |
| > |
| > ||
| > poster
| > manufacturer
| > ||
| > ||
| > |
| > | Good Question Phil.
| > |
| > | Remove the one or two screws from the laptop that holds the hard disk
bay
| > and one can easily
| > | see the manufacturer.
| > |
| > | I wouldn't say contacting HP Support is the "only way to go.
| > | I had a Dell Latitude with a similar problem using an IBM TravelStar
hard
| > disk.
| > | I used the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it found and corrected
bad
| > sectors and the
| > | Laptop was again bootable.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Dave
| > | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| > | http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
| > |
| > |

| Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
| Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up "page
| file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like that.
| Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| very slow.
| At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| has one or more errors.
| Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| memory size window puts in.
| First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| Get back later!
You worry too much!
So far, all the advice you gave me, is like from a 5 year.
Why do you think my HD is failing?
Julius

Protagonist

- Bobb - said:
and by choosing /r you're letting it "repair" whatever might not be 100%
good. If any of the data ( one word in a 100mb document for example) is
corrupted you MIGHT lose the whole document. Or you may end up with 80%
of the disk being flagged as BAD. I haven't reread eveything here, but
if this is an option - go to computer store ( or online) and buy an
adapter to allow you to put YOUR disk into a desktop PC. (It's not that
tough to do) and copy any of YOUR data to the "other disk drive in the
desktop". That way you will have all of YOUR data. The windows tough is
replaceable but yours may not be.

Well, Chkdsk /r got my WinXP back, up and running, even if it's running
slow.
Seems all the files are OK, WinXP may be corrapted some what. Reporting
pagefile problems.
I'll back up from the Laptop what I need, I have an external USB HD
drive, than re-install WinXP with the HP repair disks, came with my Laptop.
Should work.
Julius

- Bobb -

comment inline:

Protagonist said:
Well, Chkdsk /r got my WinXP back, up and running, even if it's
running slow.
Seems all the files are OK, WinXP may be corrapted some what.
Reporting pagefile problems.
I'll back up from the Laptop what I need, I have an external USB HD
drive, than re-install WinXP with the HP repair disks, came with my
Laptop.
Should work.
Julius

Julius:

Nice going. welcome back.

The HP CD's you have - do they use/assume a D partition on your system ?
Recovery CD's or Install CD's - Do you know ? Just curious as I'm
looking at an HP laptop and wondering what they come with.

Did you notice the summary report - what did it find bad ? If you
haven't yet, just go into DOS and do a chkdsk ( no switches) to get a
summary. See how many bad blocks now.
As for pagefile being corrupt ... If nothing else, change the size of
your pagefile.sys to a minimum temporarily. That will free up most of
the space (So if it's currently auto or custom, e.g. min=512mb -- change
it to 10mb or "none" and reboot) Note it might take a long time to get
going, but it's only for a few minutes. Once booted now that "bad spot"
is available to be captured as a smaller chunk rather than the 512 mb
file it might be otherwise. So only " wasting" maybe 8-10mb (rather than
all 512)

To get to pagefile settings, control panel - system-adv- performance -
advanced - change. Pick the drive and choose Custom ( or none). Now
reboot and rerun chkdsk ( with switches you used) and hopefully it
will find only a few bad blocks - allowing you to use the rest ( of the
512 mb in my example). After that THEN change it back to auto or custom
: 512mb inital - 768mb max (for example)

After it's all backed up and BEFORE your restore.....
The Compaq's used to format the drive/partition as part of the complete
restore - does anyone know if HP restore does ? If not sure, I'd
recommend formatting the drive to identify all the bad blocks prior to
the HP CD's.

Good luck.

Phil Weldon

'Protagonist' wrote:
| You worry too much!
| So far, all the advice you gave me, is like from a 5 year.
| Why do you think my HD is failing?
| Julius
_____

Hey, you asked the question. Now you make fun of the suggestions you get.
It's your data to lose ... have at it.

Now to give you an answer to 'Why do you thing my HD is failing?'

Because of the symptoms you describe. Hard drives have data error detection
and correction function. When a errors are detected when reading data, the
data is reread multiple times to try to get valid data. If this reread
process is happening often, the exact symptoms you describe occur. Once the
deteriorate in performance begins, it gets worse until finally the drive
will not function at all. The proximate cause can either be deterioate of
the magnetic recording surface or malfunctions of mechanical parts (head
positioner solenoid, bearings, platter motor.) IT is only to be expected
that a certain percentage of hard drive fail early in their designed
lifespan. MTBF means exactly that, MEAN time before failure. The bulk of
drives can be expected to fail very near MTBF, but some will have lifetimes
on either tail of the curve. What you have is multiple disks spinning at
7200 rpm with a read head skimming only a few microns above a delicate
recording surface, and that head is also rapidly across the disk when moving
from track to track. A failure mode could be that there is momentary
contact between the head and the recording surface. That location will have
the oxide destroyed, and likely tiny bits of recording surface will break
off and rattle around in the rotating disk container. Progressive
deterioration begins, reads and writes take longer and longer, and more and
more data is completely lost.

You've gotten half a dozen good replies to your post, all of which tell you
about the same thing. I'd guess that for the six who replied, the combined
total of experience with computers is a hundred years or more - for me alone
it's over forty years.

Please post the result of your experiment.

Phil Weldon

| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > 'Protagonist' wrote:
| > | Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
| > | Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.
| > |

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| > | It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| > | I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| > | minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up
"page
| > | file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like
that.
| > | Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| > | got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| > | So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| > | very slow.
| > | At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| > | has one or more errors.
| > | Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| > | memory size window puts in.
| > | First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| > | Get back later!
| > _____
| >
| > Your hard drive is failing, and needs to be replaced as soon as
possible,
| > before you lose the entire contents!
| > Also, be very careful about downloading any operating system files
directly
| > from an unknown source, and relying on a blog for information. You are
| > playing with the future of your data.
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > | > |
| > bay
| > | > |
TravelStar
| > hard
| > bad

| > should
| > question,

| > if
| > the

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > ||
| > poster
| > | > ||
| > | > ||
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > bay
| > | > |
TravelStar
| > hard
| > bad
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > | Thx Guys, got WinXP boot up for a while. Simple!
| > | Using recovery boot disk, than Chkdsk /r.
| > |

http://brock.paramagnus.com/2006/10/another-windows-errorstop-0x000000ed.html
| > | It fixes bad sectors/volum.
| > | I say while, because it was very slow to boot after error checking, 20
| > | minuts or more, heavy HD activity, than a window massage poped up
"page
| > | file is missing go to control panel to set it up" or some thing like
that.
| > | Changed Page file/ vetiual memory managment to "auto" and every thing
| > | got screwed up again, blue screen back at reboot.
| > | So, I'm runnining Chkdsk /r again. Seems it's going over 50% now, but
| > | very slow.
| > | At very first Chkdsk /r, it only went to 50%, stopped and said Volume
| > | has one or more errors.
| > | Hope fully WinXP boots up better now and I leave what ever vertual
| > | memory size window puts in.
| > | First it was min 650 Meg max 1300? Meg.
| > | Get back later!
| >

| You worry too much!
| So far, all the advice you gave me, is like from a 5 year.
| Why do you think my HD is failing?
| Julius

- Bobb -

_____

Hey, you asked the question. Now you make fun of the suggestions you
get.
It's your data to lose ... have at it.

You've gotten half a dozen good replies to your post, all of which
tell you
about the same thing. I'd guess that for the six who replied, the
combined
total of experience with computers is a hundred years or more - for me
alone
it's over forty years.

Please post the result of your experiment.

Phil Weldon

Wow you're an old geezer . Only 32 yrs for me.

bobb