LAN connection disabled after every boot-up

Reaction score
WIN XP SP3; BT Home Hub 2; LAN connections to two computers; McAffee anti-virus.

Each time I switch on the 1st computer I see (in Network Connections) that the LAN on this computer is disabled. It is enabled on the 2nd computer and that one connects to the Internet with no problem. If I then try to enable the 1st one it starts the process with a message "enabling ...." and then the computer just shuts down.

If I remove the LAN plug from the back of the computer, switch on again and then enable the LAN connection in Network Connections it again says "enabling ....", completes the process and then says " a network connection is unplugged...". I put the LAN plug back in and then everything works fine. It also works if, after switching on the first time, I remove the LAN plug before trying to enable the LAN connection, and then put it back.

Why is this happening? I can't keep unplugging and plugging in the connection every time I use the computer. Can anyone advise, please?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hiya welcome to the forum

Very strange scenario

Do you only have the one LAN connection on PC?

Ask a Question