Knackered PC???

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello all :wave:

So a few days ago i posted about upgrading my stepdads pc.

All went fine, everything worked.

Today however he has managed to install a PCI device over the Audio Device, the audio device will not work.

As i was at work my brother went.

So he couldn't reinstall the audio device and so went looking for the PCI device that was blocking it.

He has deleted something out of the Device Manager under the PCI heading.

He does not remember which.

Since coming home i have tried to repair it using the XP disk but the keyboard and mouse will not work.

They work in the BIOS menu but when using XP recovery they stop working, it gets as far as an XP screen which has the loading status on the left hand side with the 5 different stages of progess, it gets to installing devices then asks for part of the "nvidia chipset drivers" i have these on disk and usb but cannot click OK because the mouse and keyboard do not work.

I have tried using the recovery console to have the keyboard and mouse "Start on bootup" but is not working, it enables the command but after restarting is no good.

Have tried other mice and keyboards in USB and P2 slots but no good.

I know my brother is a complete idiot but would really appreciate any help as i really do not want to reformat the HDD and reinstall XP.

XP Home Edition 2002
AMD Athlon x2 2.4Ghz
2GB Patriot Viper
ASUS M2N-VM DVI
320GB SATA

The audio is Realtek AC662, Azalia HD Audio or something.

Reaction score
Glad to know i'm not the nly one with a brother like that...Dunno what the solution is really, will have to have a think and get back to you on that one..

Reaction score
This is a long shot, power down and remove th CMOS battery for a few minutes, then replace it and power up and see what happens..

Reaction score
Try doing a restore point to earlier

You dont need to format.

It is possible to repair reinstall and repair all system files without even losing any information on the drive

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Will try the CMOS battery, but with regards to everything else i can't use the keyboard or mouse so i can't actually do anything.

Its at the point now where when i boot from the HDD it is halfway through the repair procedure then gets to the point where it wants additional drivers but i can't click okay as my inputs don't work.

Is there any chance that i could copy the system 32 folder from a laptop that runs the exact same O/S and then insert this into the windows folder on my stepdads hard drive and fool it into working???

Thanks for the help.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Before you assume something in the computer is faulty, I'd suspect the OS is the culprit as all was fine until a device was removed from the device manager. Which is probably the Nvidia motherboard drivers which will also include the onboard sound drivers.

To determine the fault, do the mouse and keyboard work within the bios?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah they worked in the BIOS, it is pretty much sorted, i had to manually enable every service in the recovery console that i thught was required.

It kept hanging at 34 minutes when doing a repair from the XP disk, but after finding a guide on google it seems i have enabled the right thing and although the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work when it went to 33 minutes they started to work again.

I replaced the CMOS as Madx advised and to be honest it could have been that or something i randomly enabled.

Thanks foe everyones input.

My brain surgeon of a brother is now banned from any computer.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay sports fans,

Everything was working fine but now i have one small problem.

Me stepdad is trying to use his family tree software but it asks that you

"install Keyboard.drv 2 in windows system 32"

I have looked in thew system 32 file and both the driver and system file are there, this is the only program that requests this and the keyboard works fine.

I tried copying new ones in there but it wouldn't have it.

Ran Scannow in RUN and it didn't find any problems, i repaired XP using the XP disk but that obviously has created a new problem.

Any ideas???

Ask a Question