Kitchen Planning

Susan Bugher

Since the younguns are planning a remodeling I've (finally) started
taking a look at what's available for planning. . .

IKEA kitchen planner

http://www.ikea.co.uk/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/kitchen/download.html

<q>
Planning your kitchen couldn't be easier. You can drag and drop kitchen
units and appliances into layouts, view them in 3-D, try different
colours, print your design.
</q>

http://www.ikea.co.uk/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/kitchen/ihp_kitchen.exe

(2668 KB) requires DirectX (version not noted) Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT
or ME

First snags - only rectangular rooms . . . Units are centimeters - only
- but Convert (PW2004) will make short work of conversions if needed.

You place doors and windows, resize width and height in the floor plan
view, move up and down in the 3D view. (Place electric, heat and
plumbing symbols in a similar way.) A small glitch here - cabinets
placed in front of a window can't be placed against the wall - move the
window out of the way and then move the window back (or place cabinets
before placing windows).

The program has a nice assortment of kitchen cabinets and appliances.
AFAIK there is no way to add other furnishings - no tables, chairs, bar
stools - no closets etc. etc.

I haven't tried the print functions yet - looks like only plan view can
be printed (no elevations).

This app is *very* easy to use. The 3D view can be rotated 360 degrees,
tilted up and down. All in all, a nice program.

--------

Room Arranger

http://www.roomarranger.com/

Last Freeware version 3.26 (9x/Me/NT/2000/XP)

http://www.roomarranger.com/prg/rooarr326.exe

a VRML viewer is needed for 3D viewing (site has info on recommended apps)

I've only given the program a brief whirl. This app has the flexibility
that the IKEA program lacks - walls can added and or moved (layout of an
entire house is possible). Furnishings can be added.

but . . . Creating a plan requires a *lot* more work than is needed in
the IKEA program.

ISTM that using a drawing program might be a simpler . . . perhaps do a
layout on graph paper and scan it in for openers . . . the goal is to
create a kitchen plan, not learn a CAD program . . .

Comments, helpful advice, other apps?

Susan

Steven Burn

Keenan P.

[...]

Sue - we bought a fixer-upper and I have the Ikea planner sitting here,
but it is getting close to the top of the job jar which doesn't make me
very happy. I'm not a carpenter...
Hopefully the above apps will simplify the task ahead. Have the younguns
come up here and do mine first for practice!
Best,
POKO
--
P. Keenan - Webmaster
Web Page Design

Susan Bugher

Steven said:
</snip>

Although quite useful, it's feature's could use alot of improvement
(especially when it comes to precise measurements, and not just in cm's)

I haven't done much playing with it. I did try changing the units - you
would have to work in centimeters or inches to do rooms - it only works
with whole units so feet is not a useable choice (probably intended for
use with landscape layouts).

Room Arranger is a mini-CAD type program - the small program size is
nice . . . but . . .

This is for the kids and I know they want something *simple* (as I think
*most* people do when they ask for a kitchen planning app). Room
Arranger is *fairly* easy to use (it has a good help file) but it takes
a lot more effort to create a plan in it than in the IKEA app.

Despite it's limitations the IKEA kitchen program looks very promising
for initial planning and so far it is a *joy* to work with. Check it out
if you haven't already.

An office program is also available at the IKEA site. I think the
drawback of limited furniture choices probably make it less useful than
the kitchen app. . .

Susan

Susan Bugher

Sue - we bought a fixer-upper and I have the Ikea planner sitting here,
but it is getting close to the top of the job jar which doesn't make me
very happy. I'm not a carpenter...
Hopefully the above apps will simplify the task ahead. Have the younguns
come up here and do mine first for practice!

Hi POKO,

Actually *both* sets of "kids" are planning to remodel. One son is
planning to tear out a wall or two for starters, the other to build a
new set of kitchen cabinets from scratch. Once they start competing with
each other who knows what will happen. I'll mention your request but I
have a feeling they might be busy for a while. ;)

Susan

n e a d

[snip]
Comments, helpful advice, other apps?

Susan

Guess it has "everything except the kitchen sink."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Keep them yung-gunz away from HGTV...it's like a virus...everyone starts
looking for a sledge hammer after watching a few episodes!

Good luck and buy a hard hat!

-Sam

Glenn

Susan Bugher said:
Actually *both* sets of "kids" are planning to remodel. One son is
planning to tear out a wall or two for starters, the other to build a
new set of kitchen cabinets from scratch. Once they start competing with
each other who knows what will happen. I'll mention your request but I
have a feeling they might be busy for a while. ;)

Susan

At last we are touching on something I know about. I did remodeling,
primarily kitchens for 44 years before I retired about 10 years ago. Every
where from a few thousand to well over $150K . One over 300K. Even had
three of them featured in a "Better Homes and Gardens" annual kitchen
edition. (brag).

We didn't have computers back then but there are several cheap CAD programs
adequate for kitchen planning. I used a drawing board and a pencil.
Freebee's, I don't know.

Glenn

Susan Bugher

Download (2668 KB) (units are cm)

http://www.ikea.co.uk/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/kitchen/ihp_kitchen.exe
Thanks, Susan. I've been trying to find something that would help me with a
new house I'm desinging.
Don't know if units are the same or different, but the US download is:
http://www.ikea-usa.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/kitchen/download1.html

Download (3311 KB) (units are feet and inches)

http://www.ikea-usa.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/IHP_Kitchen.exe

Thank you! units are in feet and inches as noted above. (At first glance
it appears the same otherwise.) So you don't pays your money and you
takes your choice. :)

IMO this app will be handy for doing the basic layout of any
(rectangular) room - size, door and windows, plugs, etc.

Then take a screenshort or print and scan the layout. Add furnishings in
a drawing program (or on paper).

Well spotted. Thanks again.

Susan

Susan Bugher

Glenn said:
"Susan Bugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
At last we are touching on something I know about. I did remodeling,
primarily kitchens for 44 years before I retired about 10 years ago. Every
where from a few thousand to well over $150K . One over 300K. Even had
three of them featured in a "Better Homes and Gardens" annual kitchen
edition. (brag).

*Worth* bragging about - some tough competition for that. :)
We didn't have computers back then but there are several cheap CAD programs
adequate for kitchen planning. I used a drawing board and a pencil.
Freebee's, I don't know.

I go back to the days of drawing boards too (and slide rules) - CAD
programs sure made life easier. Right now though I'm looking for
something simple for kitchen planning. The *major* emphasis is on *easy
to use* and the IKEA program is looking pretty good.

Susan

Semolina Pilchard

I go back to the days of drawing boards too (and slide rules) - CAD
programs sure made life easier. Right now though I'm looking for
something simple for kitchen planning. The *major* emphasis is on *easy
to use* and the IKEA program is looking pretty good.

If that will work for you, I'm delighted. OTOH, something as simple
as ZonerDraw3 has done that job for me in the past and may work for
you now.

Susan Bugher

Semolina said:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:49:17 -0500, Susan Bugher

Right now though I'm looking for

If that will work for you, I'm delighted. OTOH, something as simple
as ZonerDraw3 has done that job for me in the past and may work for
you now.

Agree about ZonerDraw3 - will add that I think a using both programs
will work nicely for some room planning - IKEA for initial layout, ZD3
for things you can't do in the IKEA program . . .

FYI - the IKEA program is (much) easier to use than ZD3 . . . :)

and it's 3D . . .

Susan

Susan Bugher

Susan said:

I took the program over to my daughter-in-law yesterday and she
disappeared into the computer . . . occasional murmurs of "this is so
cool". I anticipate it will get a thorough workout. :)

Many thanks to "Robert" <[email protected]> who posted about this
app last November.

Susan