For sale: Computer desk

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Or to be more precise a desk, small drawer unit and chair.

I'm selling these and also a cabin bed as they are what I furnished out my second bedroom with but my daughters and guests had other ideas.

A single bed up in the air was no good, everybody, but everybody, said a double bed would be a better idea. I thought the cabin bed cos it would take the computer desk underneath but no, they all disagreed.

So those furniture items are going and I'm going to lose a lot of money on the sales.

Serves me right I suppose, I should have spoken to people first. My eldest may actually move in with me for a while so as soon as the room is empty she'll be choosing the stuff.

The pictures actually show it in my bedroom, I've moved it out of bedroom 2.

Anyways, that's the explanation, all three items are from IKEA, they're more or less brand new, there is a slight scratch where the computer slides in but a computer will hide the scratch. Or a black magic marker for that matter.

I don't still have the assembly instructions but it's quite straightforward to assemble, the desk. The Drawer unit will go on a car's back seat. Obviously, if you're collecting (I'm right next to Greenwich mainline station) then there's no delivery fee.

I will deliver within a half hour's drive of Greenwich for free, other than that we could negotiate. I don't think it's worth using a courier, would cost too much.

If nobody here is interested I'll put them on E-Bay.

I do have other stuff to get rid of, cheap, some kitchen cupboards and other stuff which I'll get round to listing soon. I'll offer everything here first before putting them on E-Bay. Or failing that there's a local shop that buys furniture.

The three units together cost £100.00 and I'm asking £50.00 for them. I'll take payment by cash; cheque; postal order and bank transfer. Paypal at a pinch but I don't like Paypal.

Links to the items:

Desk

Drawer Unit

Chair

And some pix:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The scratchy bit:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 790
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 690
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 622
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 608
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 624
Reaction score
nice pictures mate everytime they get better

any luck on selling then?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nope, this is the first place I've offered these items.

I'm beginning to think I have wasted £350.00 in total as second hand furniture really doesn't seem to sell that well.

The cabin bed, mattress, quilt and bed linen totalled £250.00 and I was going to ask £100.00 for them. It's never even been slept in, brand new. This is it.

Oh well, that's life I guess, seems I may end up actually giving these things away though I will try a 5-day E-Bay entry for each first.

Reaction score
I reckon the loot would be good too or gumtree :)

I bet there are a lot of GreenwichARIANS (do you like?) that wouldn't mind something like that.

Busy day Mr Flopps intermittent sleep proper tired now. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I know there's somebody out there in the ether who would apreciate these cheap but it's finding them.

Gumtree? Wot u on about?

Sometimes, one just has to admit defeat. Yep, I'm tired too, worked hard for a whole four hours today :D

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm sure they will sell on ebay, me and the missus moved intogether i had to sell my bed, cost me £235 from Ikea got £100 for it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
I'm sure they will sell on ebay, me and the missus moved intogether i had to sell my bed, cost me £235 from Ikea got £100 for it.

Thanks WF, I'll list them on E-Bay tomorrow I think.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you are not too fussed on what you get for them, then start the listing at 99p as the more you list it for the more ebay take, also avoid paypal and just give the winner your sort code and account number, that way you avoid paying the paypal fees as well. they can't do anything with the info except put money in so is safe. Or cash on collection.

I've always found on ebay that whether i list something for £30 or 99p i end up getting the £30 anyway, as people will pay what something is worth, IKEA furniture sells well on Ebay as not everyone can get to one and it costs £15 - £50 to get it delivered.

The missus thinks your stuff will do well, as they are black, modern looking and in very good condition, she says expect anywhere from 40 - 70 percent of what you paid.

She recommends the best time to sell is between 1700 & 1900 as that is when the internet is most used and have the auction end on a fri, sat or sun, again when most users are on.

The missus is a pro at ebay.

If you didn't know this already then i hope it helps, if you did then......

Oh the missus said then when it comes to furniture, if you state on the listing that you are prepared to deliver within a certain distance for £15 or so then you will get more offers.

Again the missus is a pro at ebay. She is quite handy sometimes :lol:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Personally i would Not start bidding at 99p unless you want to sell it at that price, i would get a figure in my head then list as a fixed price but listen to offers . Just my 700+ transaction Ebay experience 2 pennies worth m8.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
avoid paypal and just give the winner your sort code and account number

Strongly disagree with that statement..:nod:

If your personal information gets into the wrong hands, then you leave yourself wide open to all sorts of strife..Personally I would never give that info out on ebay as 25% of the ebay community are into some sort of scam or con or whatever..

But I'm sure Mr Flopp's knows this already anyway..:nod:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Strongly disagree with that statement..
nod.gif

If your personal information gets into the wrong hands, then you leave yourself wide open to all sorts of strife..Personally I would never give that info out on ebay as 25% of the ebay community are into some sort of scam or con or whatever..

But I'm sure Mr Flopp's knows this already anyway..
nod.gif

25% is quite alot, i wonder how many people on PCR have an ebay account and which ones of us are scammers???

I understand the point you are trying to make, but 25% ?

How anyone can take money from your account with the just the sort code and account number is beyond me and my little sis who happens to be a graduate bank manager at HSBC.

Reaction score
Controversy!!

Well I won't comment on the bank side of things but I wouldn't start it at 99p!
What if someone wins the bid for £2?
You are obliged to sell it for that much.

Waynos you sure your Mrs knows what she is doing? (**** Waynos checks his credit card....)
:)

Gumtree.com flopps!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Controversy!!

What if someone wins the bid for £2?

Waynos you sure your Mrs knows what she is doing? (**** Waynos checks his credit card....)
:)

Gumtree.com flopps!

Just cause it starts at 99p doesn't mean it will sell for that, if you saw that desk for £2 you would bid say £5, then someone else sees it and says oh i'll have it for £10 and so on and so on, i've always gotten what something is worth on ebay.

All i'm trying to do is save Flopps a bit of money, as ebay takes money off you and so does paypal, so if he is only going to get half of what he paid in the first place, then why lose another £20 - £30 in fees?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do apreciate all the advice offered here, I really do :)

I wouldn't give out my account number and sort code as I've read of cases where making that information public has led to theft from bank accounts. In fact I think somebody done it just to prove it could be done.

I'm going to start the listing for the desk/drawers/chair at £5.00 and the Cabin bed at £20.00

The cabin bed also has a brand new mattress, quilt and cover set and it's never been slept in. The price of bed/quilt/mattress/bedding was £250.00.

Do you think I should offer the whole package or offer the mattress/bedding and bed seperately?

I've also cut about 10" off the bottom of each leg of the cabin bed as it was so high a person couldn't sit up in the bed as they were very close to the ceiling. I expect that may devalue it.

Reaction score
I think you should offer them separately.

So you got desk separate from the chair which is separate from the bed stuff.

You could write in there that you are willing to listen to offers for all of them together and put a buy it now price on them (each one) :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Don't bother with a buy it now and a starting price for bids, because as soon as you get the first bid, the buy it now goes, so you waste money as you have to pay extra extra for it.

Desk and chair together, bed on its own.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Fixed price with offers should be your first chice flops..and i know its a ball ache ..but flat packing it all and posting only costs £10.99 for 30 KGs :thumb: via paypal for Parcelforce 48 , you can even print the label with them then either take to a participating PO or to a Parcelforce depot. It open up enormous new areas for buyers as its delivered. If you took the same parcel weight and size to a PO it would cost £19.99. So first off i would flat pack ..list fixed price but listen to offers , set postage at £19.99 which should cover most of you Ebaying fees against real postage fees , then first time around just see how it goes ..3 day listing to end Saturday evening.

Ask a Question