For sale: Computer desk

Reaction score
lol :)

You must be chuffed Rush, Liverpool on the weekend what a great result and Chelsea this weekend!
You should consider changing your signature. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
How anyone can take money from your account with the just the sort code and account number is beyond me and my little sis who happens to be a graduate bank manager at HSBC.

They may not be able to take money out of your account. However they will have your name and address and your bank details. A half brained criminal could do a lot with that. Think what a clever on e could do.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I wouldn't give out my account number and sort code as I've read of cases where making that information public has led to theft from bank accounts. In fact I think somebody done it just to prove it could be done.

That was probably Jeremy Clarkson - he had some money taken out of his account after posting his sort code + account number. You can sign someone up for a direct debit using just these details - so it's unlikely, but possible to take money this way :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That was probably Jeremy Clarkson - he had some money taken out of his account after posting his sort code + account number. You can sign someone up for a direct debit using just these details - so it's unlikely, but possible to take money this way :)

I was just going to post that!

Jeremy Clarkson gave out his details in an article in a newspaper being a bit cocky, then somebody set up a direct debit to a charity and he couldnt cancel it!

So it can be done, but i'm sure you will be fine, just check the sellers feedback if you are worried.

I have to admit PayPal and Ebay is a scam, they're the same company yet they charge you twice! Daylight robbery if you ask me

Gumtree is a very good alternative, I managed to flog some old old furniture for £20 and they came and picked it up! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush said:
Fixed price with offers should be your first chice flops..and i know its a ball ache ..but flat packing it all and posting only costs £10.99 for 30 KGs :thumb: via paypal for Parcelforce 48 , you can even print the label with them then either take to a participating PO or to a Parcelforce depot. It open up enormous new areas for buyers as its delivered. If you took the same parcel weight and size to a PO it would cost £19.99. So first off i would flat pack ..list fixed price but listen to offers , set postage at £19.99 which should cover most of you Ebaying fees against real postage fees , then first time around just see how it goes ..3 day listing to end Saturday evening.

The cabin bed weighs considerably more than 30 kilos. It's actually very heavy.

I don't understand this flat pack thingie either, sorry. And I really don't like Paypal at all.

I wasn't aware you could offer goods for a fixed price on E-Bay that are open to offers - can you do that? I'll have to look into it.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I wasn't aware you could offer goods for a fixed price on E-Bay that are open to offers - can you do that? I'll have to look into it.

Hi Flopps,

You can list items for Buy it now prices, but I don't know how to do this, as I am quite new to it myself aswell. As I only singed up a week ago.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
I think it costs money to list items at a fixed price, it also costs money to set a reserve iirc

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
I think it costs money to list items at a fixed price, it also costs money to set a reserve iirc

Yep it does, it cost me 25p to list an item on there, with no reserves which is pretty good, but when you add reserves and more pictures and so on you have to pay.

Regards,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, it actually costs quite a lot to set a reserve, it never used to.

I think E-Bay may choke on their own smugness/assumed popularity.

Gumtree looks good, fank yoo pSD99, I might just try it.

Reaction score
I was looking at the desk myself, does the computer come with it as well? If so then i'll take it :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
G~MAN said:
I was looking at the desk myself, does the computer come with it as well? If so then i'll take it :D

I knew, I just knew, some wise-ass was gonna say that :D

Yep, just throw in some more £££££££££££'s and it's all yours ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I counted 11 x £'s signs in your last post so would that be £61 for the kit and pc.

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I counted 11 x £'s signs in your last post so would that be £61 for the kit and pc.

laughingsmiley.gif

Ah, but each £ is a £20.00 note :D

That computer is:

Lian Li PC-61 case with two x CD drive stealth covers; side window & internal lights inc 2 x UV.
DFI LAN Party Ultra II B motherboard
AMD XP3200 Socket A CPU 2.2Ghz
Gigabyte Rocket CPU Cooler
1Gb (2 x 512Mb) DDR RAM (I forget the make, but I think Corsair)
DVD ROM Drive
DVD-RW Drive
Nvidia 6800 128Mb AGP Video card
A floppy drive
Jeantech 350W PSU
Linksys wireless NIC card
A Hard drive caddy bay, lockable, with five trays (3 silver, 2 black)
Five PATA Hard disks: 120Gb; 80Gb; 80Gb; 60Gb; 20Gb

BenQ 17" Square (non widescreen) LCD Monitor.
Logitech MX1000 cordless laser mouse
Logitech Black Ultra flat keyboard
Logitech 2.1 Loudspeaker system.

So just out of interest, what does anybody think it would be worth?

Having five swappable hard disks is great for trying different Operatring systems.

Currently have loaded:

Win XP Pro (used almost solely for Portable Appliance Testing Software)
Win 98 (Yay! Old Games :) )
PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome Desktop (which won't bloody well boot into X)
Linux Mint V5.0 KDE DVD Edition (Which is working great and looks good, recognised my Wireless network and got me online immediately, I'm liking this one).
And the fifth one has nothing on it atm but I'm thinking about trying latest version of Suse Linux.

And on the subject of furniture, I can't believe it but somebody actually has the exact same cabin bed, with mattress as well, also brand new, on E-Bay, it's a fresh listing. And their one hasn't had the legs cut down. The bed's named Morrum if you want to look on E-Bay.

Reaction score
A bed with a name? Gosh I thought I was bad naming my new rig!!!

Well you got a LOT of parts there I estimate around £300 at least if you get good price and we take away your monitor, mouse, keyboard and speaker system.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The latest Ubuntu is worth a looksee or for very quick and easy try Damm Small Linux.

Sadly your pc is not worth a lot. Just take a look at what you can but for very little money. The pc revolution is swift and merciless. Todays champion is tomorows junk it really is as quick as that.

happywave.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you sold it seperate about £250 - £300, is the AMD CPU a barton+? If so they sell well on ebay.

I reckon you would do well on ebay with that lot,

AMD CPU if it is a Barton then £30 max
Rocket 3D Cooler £10
1GB RAM if its 400Mhz then £20
Motherboard upto £40 as its a good un and rare now.
6800 AGP upto £40 as well, rare good card.
HDD, £15 then 2 x 80GB £20, then 60GB & 20GB £15
Sound system £15
17" screen upto £50 max
£5 each for DVD/CD

If you sold it together then maybe upto £150 - £200 is hard to tell.

You would be suprised what people pay as alot of people are happy with old systems and just want a little upgrade.

Might be worth bundling the CPU, MOBO and RAM.

Andrew C got £50 for that piece of crap he assembled :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
The latest Ubuntu is worth a looksee or for very quick and easy try Damm Small Linux.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, has a nicer GUI and more hardware support though.

Abarbarian said:
Sadly your pc is not worth a lot. Just take a look at what you can but for very little money. The pc revolution is swift and merciless. Todays champion is tomorows junk it really is as quick as that.

happywave.gif

I would agree, absolutely.

The two items I'd get the most money on there selling seperately would be the custom Lian Li case and the Logitech 2.1 speaker system, it sounds great.

Collectively, all hard disks, caddy trays, peripherals and all, I'd probably ask £200.00 and take £150.00.

And that's a sad fact, despite it being a very able and quick PC.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You posted 1 minute after me, not far of the mark with the estimate.

Was checking prices on ebay as i compiled my post, don't know about the case.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, it's a Barton, it's the best Socket A CPU they made.

Memory is 400Mhz

Ask a Question