keep kids out of my computer

How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

Gordon

peasuter said:
How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do
not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

The only REALLY safe method is to deny them access to it - i.e. lock it up!
(You could take the power cord with you...or install a removable HDD and
take that out each time...)

Richard

Boot auth password software so only you can start machine?
There is full disk encryption software out there which has this
functionality, including the requirement of possibly a usb flash disk to
start the machine which you can keep with you.
FDE might be more than you need, but it's the only option I have knowledge
of.

There is the free compusec software at
http://www.ce-infosys.com/english/downloads/free_compusec/index.html which I
have used in XP.
This only allows you to use a password to start the computer.

db

you might have password
capabilities via your cmos/bios.

if so, you can set a "master" password
that would prevent complete booting of
the computer.

some advance cmos/bios settings allow
password setting for harddrives as well...

check your pc manual or website for
your computer on how to access your
cmos/bios settings....

- db

peasuter said:
How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do
not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

The only REALLY safe method is to deny them access to it - i.e. lock it up!
(You could take the power cord with you...or install a removable HDD and
take that out each time...)

Why are you telling me this? And BIOS passwords can be bypassed relatively simply....

Malke

peasuter said:
How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

Standard computer security information:

Any computer running any operating system can be accessed by someone
with 1) physical access; 2) time; 3) skill; 4) tools. There are a few
things you can do to make it a bit harder though:

1. Set a password in the BIOS that must be entered before booting the
operating system. Also set the Supervisor password in the BIOS so BIOS
Setup can't be entered without it.

2. From the BIOS, change the boot order to hard drive first.

3. Set strong passwords on all accounts, including the built-in
Administrator account.

4. If you leave your own account logged in, use the Windows Key + L to
lock the computer (and/or set the screensaver/power saving) when you
step away from the computer and require a password to resume.

5. Make other users Limited accounts in XP Home, regular user accounts
in XP Pro.

6. Set user permissions/restrictions:

a. If you have XP Pro, you can set user permissions/restrictions with
Group Policy (Start>Run>gpedit.msc [enter]) but be careful. Using the
Policy Editor can be tricksy. Questions about Group Policy should be
posted in its newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.group_policy.

b. If you have XP Home, you can use MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or
the MS Shared Computer Toolkit. The Toolkit can also be used in XP Pro
and may be easier for a newbie than using Group Policies.

http://www.dougknox.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx
microsoft.public.windows.sharedaccess - Toolkit newsgroup

Please understand that these are technical responses to what is
basically a non-technical problem and there are ways around all of these
precautions. This is a family/interpersonal issue that can't be solved
by technical means.

Malke

Gordon

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
you might have password
capabilities via your cmos/bios.

Please refrain from posting in HTML - many news readers won't render it.....

db

My BADD.....................

peasuter said:
How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do
not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

The only REALLY safe method is to deny them access to it - i.e. lock it up!
(You could take the power cord with you...or install a removable HDD and
take that out each time...)

Why are you telling me this? And BIOS passwords can be bypassed relatively simply....

db

stick to the subject at hand....
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
you might have password
capabilities via your cmos/bios.

Please refrain from posting in HTML - many news readers won't render it.....

Gordon

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
My BADD.....................

And please stop posting in HTML - many news readers won't see it....

mikeyhsd

try parenting classes.

(e-mail address removed)@sport.rr.com

How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

caver1

peasuter said:
How do I set up my computer so that my kids can not get on the computer
unless I start it for them? They each have their own account, but I do not
want them to be able to use the computer unless I am home.

Tell your kids that if they get on it when they aren't suppose to you'll
knock them into next week.

Noncompliant

Do it in stages to dismay them with attempts to overcome your blocks.

Bios password. 3rd party boot manager with usernames and passwords for each
child. Then, XP fixes. If you have home edition, they can still enter via
safe mode and have administrator rights, delete and add users and change
passwords.

They can, and probably will, overcome all blocks to access use to your PC.
Or, break XP in process of attempting to do so.

Noncompliant

Yea, what he said.

--
Noncompliant