Kazaa and Fragmentation

Reaction score
I've been having a serious dilemma lately, and it's about fragmentation and Kazaa. I thought I'd speak my mind and seek advice here. Now, we all know that when you download a large file off Kazaa or another similar P2P program, it will get little bits from different users, thus combining their upload speeds so you can get the file quicker.

My problem is this. Due to this, it creates insane amounts of file fragmentation, which causes Windows to go crazy. I downloaded a few large files yesterday, namely a few movies. Now, if I try and play one of them, Windows goes crazy and warns me it's increasing my pagefile size (which is already set at 925megs) so that it can cope. So it pushes it up to 1.25 gigs or something, and then the app just closes. This doesn't happen when I just play the movie, only when I try and seek to another part, and it's not with all movies.

After running a defrag all night long, I checked out the log file only to find out that I had some 3900 different fragments in most of my movies. This is absolutely insane, and no defragger in the world can fix that.

Now I'm looking for a solution to this, because I can't seek one of my movies, and I'd like the other to play as smootly as possible. One option would be to create a new partition on the drive, or use a new hard drive, and move the file there. Windows will gather all the fragments and put them in the right order, theoretically. I'm not sure if this will work on a new parition on the same drive, however, since I'm not very familiar with how partition tables and such work.

The other option would be to create a small NTFS partition for Kazaa, where I would download my files and move them afterwards. It would be quickly defraggable since it's so small, and I could easily format it afterwards.

It's important to note, though, that I'm using FAT32 on my hard drive (due to Linux compatability issues, mostly), but have been considering a move to NTFS.

Would anyone care to help me out? Any comments are appreciated, and you can either reply to this thread, or e-mail me at (e-mail address removed).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Eric

Go buy the movie on DVD and bin Kazaa :eek:

even with an AV, spybot and Trogan Hunter I would never use Kazaa. :crazy:

Reaction score
I created a separate 800meg NTFS partition for Kazaa Lite and stuff, then transferred my movies to it. They're much less fragmented now (some still have 2 fragments, though, and have like 200m free space between them), and it doesn't really fix my problem with one of them, it still crashes the app when I seek.

The day we have no fragmentation is the day hard drives have 1 gig/sec transfer rates or something astronomical. :)

Reaction score
Eric you GEEK. hehe!!!

First of all, how about you listen to the man and go buy the dvd instead, if everyone downloaded like you, there'd be no one to support the company, and no more movies would be created.

And secondly, i think something's not right with either your computer or the operating system , or even with Kazaa lite. It never did this thing to me. Well yes, the data is fragmented when it's downloaded, but then it's supposed to all get together.

Anyhow, we'll discuss it when i'll go at your place, so later.

And i know it's 6:15 , but i'm at my dads work place !!

Reaction score
No, it's not supposed to "all get together", that's what fragmentation is. And who said I'm downloading DVDs? :crazy:

Ask a Question