Kaspersky versus McAffee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My three month trial of Mcaffee is about to run out, so I am looking for a new suite. I am thinking of dumping Mcaffee because it slows down my system no end (I think) and keeps nagging me about this and that.

I was talking to a computer guy last week and he said that all of the commercial suites slow down the system and advised me to stick to free ware such as AVG. However, I would certianly be willing to give kaspersky a go, providing it has a lighter touch than Mcaffee.

Reaction score
Hi
Not just some suites...every thing you load onto a computer will slow it down..Generally the only time it slows the computer down is when you are booting up your computer..But if you know the internet security package you are using well, you can do things like disable certain processes at start up..But honestly in m personal opinion for the average user you wouldn't know that its slowed your computer much..Like I say most of the slowing down is at start up...
I'd go for Kaspersky if I was you...I made the switch a few months ago and couldn't be happy...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
No contest.

Kaspersky..........6
McAfee.............0

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's worth giving a go to see what you think, you can get one of the trials here :thumb: :

http://www.kaspersky.com/trials

I use it myself and like it, although I might try something different next time :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Antivir beats AVG and Avast :thumb:

Just Google it....

I have Antivir; SuperAntispyware; Spybot Search & Destroy; Windows Defender; Windows Firewall view hidden files and folders and show file extensions enabled and the sense not to click on an unknown .exe file or open an unknown e-mail.

No nasties so far...

Reaction score
Kaspersky anyday its much better than McAfee.
nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Used McAfee since 2004 along with Avast. No problems here. An I do check with on-line scanners etc just to make sure. Pc ain't slowed down at all.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
After the replies, I intend to try Kaspersky. I think Staples currently have a good deal for the 3 user license.
One question I would like to ask is, how would I get kaspersky on both my desktop and my netbook (which doesn't have a dvd drive). Could I put it on my desktop using the dvd and then download Kapsersky from their site and then use the license code I would have?

Probably yes, I would have thought, but just want to be sure.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, you don't actually need to install Kaspersky from the DVD they give you. Downloading it from the net onto your netbook and just inputting the license code will work fine :)

Aria often have good deals on Kaspersky, so it might be cheaper there than Staples - a 3 user license is £15 inc vat:
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products?search=kaspersky

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I have ordered Kaspersky.

The one thing though I am a little apprehensive about is how user friendly it is for novices. Basically, I want to load it up and go, without having to work through complicated options lists. Is this possible?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
zarathrustra said:
The one thing though I am a little apprehensive about is how user friendly it is for novices. Basically, I want to load it up and go, without having to work through complicated options lists. Is this possible?

From what I remember there are a few configurations you can choose when you install it, depending on how much interaction you want. For the most part it looks after itself and is very user friendly - depending on how you configure it, it might ask you what to do when certain types of firewall events happen. I certainly don't think you'll have a problem with it, as it's designed to work with all level of users :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I am looking forward to getting rid of Mcaffee, which i find very intrusive (particularly if you have a trial, as you get constant nagging to buy it).

McAffee came pre-loaded onto my Samsung netbook which I recently bought. I also think it comes pre-loaded onto a few other computers as well. I know that on the samsung netbook site, a lot of users said they got rid of it very quickly after getting their NC10.

When Kaspersky arrives (I ordered it from Aria) I am intending to remove McAffee before I load it, as I know from prior experience having two security systems running on the same computer can be disastrous. This would mean of course that I would be unprotected for the short period between removing McAffee and loading Kaspersky. Is there any way around this problem?

On my netbook, I will have to download Kaspersky from the web and use the registration key which comes with the copy I will be getting from Aria.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
zarathrustra said:
This would mean of course that I would be unprotected for the short period between removing McAffee and loading Kaspersky. Is there any way around this problem?

On my netbook, I will have to download Kaspersky from the web and use the registration key which comes with the copy I will be getting from Aria.

Just to be on the safe side you could download kaspersky to your netbook, disconnect it from the internet and then install it. Once it's up and running, plug it back in and get back online :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Just to be on the safe side you could download kaspersky to your netbook, disconnect it from the internet and then install it. Once it's up and running, plug it back in and get back online :)

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

Well, I got Kaspersky from Aria quickly and have loaded it on my desktop (but not before getting rid of McNaggee - and I don't mean the wife (she's still around :)).

I have a couple of questions though. I did a full scan (which took several hours) and it came up with a list of potential nasties on my system. However, I don't know if it has deleted these, as I can't see what I am supposed to do next (not sure if it has deleted them already and is just informing me of what it found).

Also, after reading your review, I was a bit wary of the anti-spam filter. Would you recommend turning it off and using another anti-spam filter for emails?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
zarathrustra said:
Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

Well, I got Kaspersky from Aria quickly and have loaded it on my desktop (but not before getting rid of McNaggee - and I don't mean the wife (she's still around :)).

I have a couple of questions though. I did a full scan (which took several hours) and it came up with a list of potential nasties on my system. However, I don't know if it has deleted these, as I can't see what I am supposed to do next (not sure if it has deleted them already and is just informing me of what it found).

Also, after reading your review, I was a bit wary of the anti-spam filter. Would you recommend turning it off and using another anti-spam filter for emails?

It's been a while since I tried the anti-spam filter, so it might be worth giving it a go and see if it works any better :) I normally just use the MS Outlook spam filter as although it doesn't identify all spam, it very rarely flags a false positive for me (which is my main concern).

Kaspersky normally asks if you want to delete or quarantine anything nasty it finds, so if load the application up and it has a green "your computer is protected" then it has dealt with them already :thumb: You can always run a quick scan just to double check though.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It's been a while since I tried the anti-spam filter, so it might be worth giving it a go and see if it works any better :) I normally just use the MS Outlook spam filter as although it doesn't identify all spam, it very rarely flags a false positive for me (which is my main concern).

Kaspersky normally asks if you want to delete or quarantine anything nasty it finds, so if load the application up and it has a green "your computer is protected" then it has dealt with them already :thumb: You can always run a quick scan just to double check though.

Thanks Ian, much appreciated:thumb:

I must be fully protected then, because thats what it is saying.

I've not had any false positives on the spam filter yet, so perhaps its imp[roved since when you last tried it.

Reaction score
Here is an up-date on my experience with Kaspersky.

I like it! The main thing for me as that as well as providing a high measure of protection it is not obtrusive and is light on resources.

My only criticism so far concerns the email spam filter. It seems to label any email from a company as probable spam. Its not a big deal, as it asks you whether you want to delete it or not.

A niggle I have though is that when you tick the delete box when an alert pops up, you get a message in your inbox saying that the email has been deleted. Is there any way of blocking such messages?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying it overall :D

zarathrustra said:
A niggle I have though is that when you tick the delete box when an alert pops up, you get a message in your inbox saying that the email has been deleted. Is there any way of blocking such messages?

There should be a little arrow at the top of the popup window that you can click on which allows you to disable all notifications of that type - I can't reproduce it to say the exact wording, but if you click on the arrow you'll see what I mean :thumb:

Ask a Question