Joystick Nightmares

Phil Diaz

My problem is that I have a system with four USB ports and a game port
but when I plug in my joystick (Cougar USB) and my rudder pedals (CH
Pro USB) my older games like European Air War canot read the joystick
at all. I tried plugging the joystick in different ports and before
the pedals but still I cannot get the game to read the joystick (it
has to be assigned to ID#1). I also tried the feature in the
"advanced" setup in Xp but still nothing.

I read in a thread that there is a way to manually assign the USB
ports to a number. Can you please expand on this a bit more for me?
I would like to try to do this but I have no idea about programming.
Can you send me a step by step guide on how to do it? If I can assign
the USB ports to a specific then I believe that I can simply plug in
the Joystick into port #1 and it should work fine since it will be
assigned to ID#1. Hope to hear from you soon.

Phil

Jimmy S.

Hi Phil,

Chris H. posted similar instructions once awhile ago.

The ID# of a game controller isn't assigned based on which port the
controller is plugged into, but rather which controller is plugged in first.

Section I: Clearing Old ID# Assignments.

1. Unplug any controllers connected to your system
2. Plug in one of the previously installed controllers
3. Click Start / Control Panel / Game Controllers
4. Click Advanced... and set that controller as "Preferred Device"
5. Unplug that controller
6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for all previously installed controllers

Section II: Assigning ID#'s to Controllers:

1. Plug in the Joystick you want to be assigned ID#1
2. Plug in the Pedals you want to be assigned ID#2
3. Follow same pattern for any other controllers
4. If you need to change the order again use Section I

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| My problem is that I have a system with four USB ports and a game port
| but when I plug in my joystick (Cougar USB) and my rudder pedals (CH
| Pro USB) my older games like European Air War canot read the joystick
| at all. I tried plugging the joystick in different ports and before
| the pedals but still I cannot get the game to read the joystick (it
| has to be assigned to ID#1). I also tried the feature in the
| "advanced" setup in Xp but still nothing.
|
| I read in a thread that there is a way to manually assign the USB
| ports to a number. Can you please expand on this a bit more for me?
| I would like to try to do this but I have no idea about programming.
| Can you send me a step by step guide on how to do it? If I can assign
| the USB ports to a specific then I believe that I can simply plug in
| the Joystick into port #1 and it should work fine since it will be
| assigned to ID#1. Hope to hear from you soon.
|

| Phil

Jimmy S.

I'm a packrat. :) I'll send you a copy of your original.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| Thanks, Jimmy. I was looking for that and couldn't find it. :cool:
| --
| Chris H.
| Microsoft Windows MVP
| Associate Expert
| Expert Zone -
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > Chris H. posted similar instructions once awhile ago.
| >
| > The ID# of a game controller isn't assigned based on which port the
| > controller is plugged into, but rather which controller is plugged in
| first.
| >
| > Section I: Clearing Old ID# Assignments.
| >
| > 1. Unplug any controllers connected to your system
| > 2. Plug in one of the previously installed controllers
| > 3. Click Start / Control Panel / Game Controllers
| > 4. Click Advanced... and set that controller as "Preferred Device"
| > 5. Unplug that controller
| > 6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for all previously installed controllers
| >
| > Section II: Assigning ID#'s to Controllers:
| >
| > 1. Plug in the Joystick you want to be assigned ID#1
| > 2. Plug in the Pedals you want to be assigned ID#2
| > 3. Follow same pattern for any other controllers
| > 4. If you need to change the order again use Section I
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | but when I plug in my joystick (Cougar USB) and my rudder pedals (CH
| > | Pro USB) my older games like European Air War canot read the joystick
| > | at all. I tried plugging the joystick in different ports and before
| > | the pedals but still I cannot get the game to read the joystick (it
| > | has to be assigned to ID#1). I also tried the feature in the
| > | "advanced" setup in Xp but still nothing.
| > |
| > | I read in a thread that there is a way to manually assign the USB
| > | ports to a number. Can you please expand on this a bit more for me?
| > | I would like to try to do this but I have no idea about programming.
| > | Can you send me a step by step guide on how to do it? If I can assign
| > | the USB ports to a specific then I believe that I can simply plug in
| > | the Joystick into port #1 and it should work fine since it will be
| > | assigned to ID#1. Hope to hear from you soon.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Phil

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

Hi guys,
Some deeper information you might like. The clearing of old ID
assignments will indeed accomplish the task, however, it is not really
needed. The original component WINMM used the ID assignments for getting
data from multiple devices. During the Windows ME and Windows 2000
development it was determined that exposing device ID's to the user was
generally confusing. An investigation into games showed that if a game was
using device ID's they only looked for the device at ID1. They almost never
supported more than one device. For the Windows XP development it was
decided to change the ID exposure to only specify one device that would be
the "Preferred Device". That device would take ID1 and all other devices
would get their ID's bumped if needed. DirectInput always as you know orders
the ID's from 1 up. If there is only 2 devices and the device at ID2 is set
to Preferred then their ID's will just swap. If the game in question does
not use the WINMM interface then the Device ID isn't even used at all.
DirectInput will enumerate all the attached devices and assign each a GUID.
The app will then communicate with the device based on the GUID.
Unfortunately I can not get into Atari's web site right now to see if there
is more information there about the game.

To the Original Poster:
If you feel comfortable with going into the registry you can try the
following to see if the game uses WINMM or DirectInput.

1. Run the game and exit.
2. Open the registry editor.
3. Go to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\MostRecentApplication
4. See if the value under 'Name' matches the .exe name of your game.

If the Name is the games .exe name then it uses DirectInput. If so the game
either does not support more than one device or there needs to be more
investigation as to why it doesn't work if it does. There are DirectInput
games that just Acquire the first device DirectInput offers. The first
device discovered is mostly random.

If the Name is not the games .exe name then this app uses WINMM and almost
certainly does not support more than one device.

Hope that helps some. Let me know if you need anymore help or information.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab
Microsoft
-----
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

Jimmy S. said:
I'm a packrat. :) I'll send you a copy of your original.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| Thanks, Jimmy. I was looking for that and couldn't find it. :cool:
| --
| Chris H.
| Microsoft Windows MVP
| Associate Expert
| Expert Zone -
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > Chris H. posted similar instructions once awhile ago.
| >
| > The ID# of a game controller isn't assigned based on which port the
| > controller is plugged into, but rather which controller is plugged in
| first.
| >
| > Section I: Clearing Old ID# Assignments.
| >
| > 1. Unplug any controllers connected to your system
| > 2. Plug in one of the previously installed controllers
| > 3. Click Start / Control Panel / Game Controllers
| > 4. Click Advanced... and set that controller as "Preferred
Device"
| > 5. Unplug that controller
| > 6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for all previously installed controllers
| >
| > Section II: Assigning ID#'s to Controllers:
| >
| > 1. Plug in the Joystick you want to be assigned ID#1
| > 2. Plug in the Pedals you want to be assigned ID#2
| > 3. Follow same pattern for any other controllers
| > 4. If you need to change the order again use Section I
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | but when I plug in my joystick (Cougar USB) and my rudder pedals (CH
| > | Pro USB) my older games like European Air War canot read the
joystick
| > | at all. I tried plugging the joystick in different ports and before
| > | the pedals but still I cannot get the game to read the joystick (it
| > | has to be assigned to ID#1). I also tried the feature in the
| > | "advanced" setup in Xp but still nothing.
| > |
| > | I read in a thread that there is a way to manually assign the USB
| > | ports to a number. Can you please expand on this a bit more for me?
| > | I would like to try to do this but I have no idea about programming.
| > | Can you send me a step by step guide on how to do it? If I can
assign
| > | the USB ports to a specific then I believe that I can simply plug in
| > | the Joystick into port #1 and it should work fine since it will be
| > | assigned to ID#1. Hope to hear from you soon.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Phil

Jimmy S.

Nice to have you around Joshua. The (wait for it)
DirectInput is always much appreciated! ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| Hi guys,
| Some deeper information you might like. The clearing of old ID
| assignments will indeed accomplish the task, however, it is not really
| needed. The original component WINMM used the ID assignments for getting
| data from multiple devices. During the Windows ME and Windows 2000
| development it was determined that exposing device ID's to the user was
| generally confusing. An investigation into games showed that if a game was
| using device ID's they only looked for the device at ID1. They almost never
| supported more than one device. For the Windows XP development it was
| decided to change the ID exposure to only specify one device that would be
| the "Preferred Device". That device would take ID1 and all other devices
| would get their ID's bumped if needed. DirectInput always as you know orders
| the ID's from 1 up. If there is only 2 devices and the device at ID2 is set
| to Preferred then their ID's will just swap. If the game in question does
| not use the WINMM interface then the Device ID isn't even used at all.
| DirectInput will enumerate all the attached devices and assign each a GUID.
| The app will then communicate with the device based on the GUID.
| Unfortunately I can not get into Atari's web site right now to see if there
| is more information there about the game.
|
| To the Original Poster:
| If you feel comfortable with going into the registry you can try the
| following to see if the game uses WINMM or DirectInput.
|
| 1. Run the game and exit.
| 2. Open the registry editor.
| 3. Go to the following key:
| HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\MostRecentApplication
| 4. See if the value under 'Name' matches the .exe name of your game.
|
| If the Name is the games .exe name then it uses DirectInput. If so the game
| either does not support more than one device or there needs to be more
| investigation as to why it doesn't work if it does. There are DirectInput
| games that just Acquire the first device DirectInput offers. The first
| device discovered is mostly random.
|
| If the Name is not the games .exe name then this app uses WINMM and almost
| certainly does not support more than one device.
|
| Hope that helps some. Let me know if you need anymore help or information.
|

| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > I'm a packrat. :) I'll send you a copy of your original.
| >
| > Cheers,
| > Jimmy.

| > | --
| > | Chris H.
| > | Microsoft Windows MVP
| > | Associate Expert
| > | Expert Zone -
| > |

| > | first.

| > Device"

| > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > | Contact
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > | rights.

| > port
| > joystick
| > | > |
| > assign
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Chris H.

Thanks for the info. It is enlightening.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

Jimmy S. said:
I'm a packrat. :) I'll send you a copy of your original.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| Thanks, Jimmy. I was looking for that and couldn't find it. :cool:
| --
| Chris H.
| Microsoft Windows MVP
| Associate Expert
| Expert Zone -
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > Chris H. posted similar instructions once awhile ago.
| >
| > The ID# of a game controller isn't assigned based on which port the
| > controller is plugged into, but rather which controller is plugged in
| first.
| >
| > Section I: Clearing Old ID# Assignments.
| >
| > 1. Unplug any controllers connected to your system
| > 2. Plug in one of the previously installed controllers
| > 3. Click Start / Control Panel / Game Controllers
| > 4. Click Advanced... and set that controller as "Preferred
Device"
| > 5. Unplug that controller
| > 6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for all previously installed controllers
| >
| > Section II: Assigning ID#'s to Controllers:
| >
| > 1. Plug in the Joystick you want to be assigned ID#1
| > 2. Plug in the Pedals you want to be assigned ID#2
| > 3. Follow same pattern for any other controllers
| > 4. If you need to change the order again use Section I
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | but when I plug in my joystick (Cougar USB) and my rudder pedals (CH
| > | Pro USB) my older games like European Air War canot read the
joystick
| > | at all. I tried plugging the joystick in different ports and before
| > | the pedals but still I cannot get the game to read the joystick (it
| > | has to be assigned to ID#1). I also tried the feature in the
| > | "advanced" setup in Xp but still nothing.
| > |
| > | I read in a thread that there is a way to manually assign the USB
| > | ports to a number. Can you please expand on this a bit more for me?
| > | I would like to try to do this but I have no idea about programming.
| > | Can you send me a step by step guide on how to do it? If I can
assign
| > | the USB ports to a specific then I believe that I can simply plug in
| > | the Joystick into port #1 and it should work fine since it will be
| > | assigned to ID#1. Hope to hear from you soon.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Phil

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

It is good someone can find comedy in my technical goop. =)

Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Jimmy S. said:
> [...]

game
| either does not support more than one device or there needs to be more
| investigation as to why it doesn't work if it does. There are
DirectInput
| games that just Acquire the first device DirectInput offers. The first
| device discovered is mostly random.
|
| If the Name is not the games .exe name then this app uses WINMM and
almost
| certainly does not support more than one device.
|
| Hope that helps some. Let me know if you need anymore help or
information.

| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
rights

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > I'm a packrat. :) I'll send you a copy of your original.

| > |

| > | first.

| > Device"
controllers