Joining a Domain - Automated?

Vlod

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove a existing W2KPro WS from a
domain, reboot, and rejoin a new domain without having to do it by hand!
Possible by using a boot CD?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Vlod said:
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove a existing W2KPro WS from a
domain, reboot, and rejoin a new domain without having to do it by hand!
Possible by using a boot CD?

Hi

You can use the command line utility netdom.exe from MS to do this.

You can use Netdom.exe version 1.8 to move the computer to a workgroup, then
you need to boot the computer, and then you can use Netdom.exe version 2.x to
add the computer to the domain again.

Latest version of netdom.exe can be downloaded from here:

Windows 2000 SP4 Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/supporttools.asp

I would be very surprised if the SP4 netdom version do not work on pre SP4
computers.

For more info, see section "Command line, join workgroup" and "Command line,
join domain" here:

From: Torgeir Bakken
Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Some notes:

Netdom.exe needs to be run with an account that is member (directly or
indirectly) of the Administrators group on the local computer, unless using
the /UserO switch.

The server service needs to be available and not disabled or removed for
netdom to work, see this thread for more info about this:

Subject: Re: Join Computer to a Domain with NetDom
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=a180a5e6b463d276

Vlod

Thank you for all your help!

From: Torgeir Bakken
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page