Job Interview - Your advice please

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a job interview next week (Thursday 4th June) At the NHS Royal Infirmary for IT Service Delivery Support Analyst. Any advice or tips would be greatly apprieciated :thumb:

I currently work as an IT Technician - been so for about a year and a half. But I think it's time for a change in environment and to see a different side of IT.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what tips I can offer on this, as I've never applied for an IT-related job like this before - but good luck :) I'm sure others on this site have gone for similar roles so they will no doubt have some good advice :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Don't punch the interviewer :thumb:

But seriously folks.....

Ask them questions about the work they do and what part it plays in the general scheme of things in that dept. Act interested. Ask about the equipment, software, possibly ask about future upgrade plans. How many staff will you be looking after?

Dress casual smart.

And that's about all I can think of off the top of me head.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
I agree Flops.
Just make sure you show as much interest in what they do, and asking questions about them, as they ask of you.
Do some research of the history of the RI, and throw bits in (when appropriate), just to show you have a real interest in the place.

Reaction score
Do some research on the NHS Trust before hand, what ever you can find out.
Wear a suit & tie and what ever you do if you dont know a answer dont try to blag it!

Have a look at the job spec & think up answers they ask you about the role.
And why do you want to change to the NHS etc.

I know from my time in IT in the NHS it was fun, but pay was poor & i only worked 9-5 Monday to Friday!!:D

Reaction score
You already work work at IT so you should be comfortable with questions about what or how you do but as feckit says.....Make sure you have as much knowledge about them as you can and if you can, bombard them with questions like, How many in the team and how long its established and future plans and your role in all this etc. Dress with suit and tie as the man says and try to relax. You DO already have a job and that might be a winner for you. I think i always find its easier to get a job when you already have one. It means youre employable.
Good luck
Zzzzz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dress smart. Suit with shirt and tie. I always go basic, i.e. white shirt red tie. No stupid mickey mouse ties etc.

Firm hand shake and look them in the eye. First impressions count.

When asked a question about a competency or experience, follow the STAR approach to answering it. Situation - Task - your Actions - Result, e.g.

- There was this time in my previous job/university.............(Situation)
- I/we had to deal with 'x' project (Task)
- I took control of the situation / I performed this particular role (YOUR ACTIONS!)
- The outcome was 'x' (Result)

If you keep 'STAR' in your mind you can't go too wrong as long as you have examples.

Also, always be prepared for the awkward question, e.g. give me an example of a time where you have not delivered what you said you would, or tell me about one of your weaknesses etc etc etc.

Always have some questions about the company, e.g. what training is on offer, career paths, future work etc etc. Do not ask about money!!

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Good luck mate - Research on NHS but try keep it all positive (I know that would be hard though)

Reaction score
Update

Evening all,

Had my interview this afternoon. I was in there for about an hour. It went well, and they seemed impressed. They centainly picked my brain lol.

I will know next week if I've got the job or not.

:user:

Reaction score
being in for an hour is a good sign mate. Fingers crossed for you.

Did you use the star thing I was talking about?? LOL.

Reaction score
Hi Bodhi,

Cheers mate :thumb:

Yes I did, I also got the awkward questions lol. As you said in your example, I was asked if I worked on any project that have made a difference etc.

I had to have a good think about some of the questions, but I feel I answered to the best of my ability :p lol

I also remembered the posts from BigJay and Uncle Flopps.

I did some initial research before I went, and asked some questions about training opportunities and the systems in general etc - so thanks for that Gents :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Is this at the North Staffs hospital ?

"Uncle" Flops ( lol lol lol lol) old git :lol:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Rush,

To be honest mate, there is that many different buildings, I'm not sure :blush: lol.

It's the Royal Infirmay along Princes Road in Hartshill.

Rush said:
"Uncle" Flops ( lol lol lol lol) old git
laughingsmiley.gif

LMAO. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush said:
Is this at the North Staffs hospital ?

"Uncle" Flops ( lol lol lol lol) old git :lol:

You cheeky bugger :D

I hope your workplace gets another power cut :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi dudes,
I can understand the Uncle part but where did the flops part come from :p

Zzzzz

Way back in 1969 I was captured by a wandering tribe of nomads just outside Colchester who declared me an infidel and an unbeliever and summarily relieved me of a somewhat vital part of my anatomy.

Since then I have wandered these fair isles deserving of the ephitet 'floppy :)

It's a sad sad thing.....

BUT

If I must reiterate this story for the 50th millionth time... ;)

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band are my favourite musical act.

'Floppybootstomp' is track one side one of 1978 Beefheart album 'Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)'

The track title 'floppybootstomp' contains two computer references so when I joined my first forum ten years ago (Icrontic if you must know though it had a diferent name back then) that's the name I chose.

I kinda wish I'd chosen a different monicker but I didn't so the floppy one I shall be online forever more.

I think, by now, I've heard all the jokes, so try harder Mr Zed :p

Ask a Question