Javascripts will NOT run in IE6

Hemispheres

Javascript links (such as the one on the "scan for updates"
page from MS...I currently have XP Pro.
If I disable scripting...yeah it don't work (MS even shows
me a different page for the Windows Update site)...du...but
if I enable it...still nothing. The browser sits there,
showing the link at the bottom with no activity. If I try
to open the link in a new window...the blank window say's done.

I've searched the net long and hard on this and even
switched to Netscape as a temporary solution. I've
uninstalled IE6...even removed directories and all
that...tried reinstalling IE6 Service pack and Outlook
express as well....even ran sfc /scannow and a whole load
of regsvr32 *.dll's.

when I click on the javascript links...still nothing.

There MUST be something wrong in the registry or the
javascript engine is corrupt. If your going to intergrate
IE6 into XP then you best better have a solution for this
non-sense.

I've tried eveything and pretty fed up at this point.

I'm asking you now to help fix it without having to
reinstall XP, would be way to much to ask...

RayO

MVP dude, Javascript has nothing to do with
Java, or even Sun Microsystems!

To the fellow with the problem:

A) When you have problems like this,
don't go around messing with your system
like you've been doing, unless you really know
what you're doing. Usually you'll end up doing
much more damage.

B) First start by going to Internet Options of IE
(from TOOLS on the IE menu), go to the Security
tab and make sure the Internet Zone is on the
default setting, which is Medium. Also, click on
the Advanced tab and then the Restore Defaults
button there, then OK and restart IE. If that doesn't
help, then disable your virus-scan temporarily, or any sofware
you may be running in the background that my interfere with
scripting, and see if that helps. If so, then see if there is a
script related setting in your virus-scan that's causing this. Also,
make sure you're testing with different sites that use scripting,
so as to preclude a problem that may be from the site itself,
and not your computer.

C) If you still have the problem, try disabling Third-Party Extensions
from the Advanced tab of Internet Options.

RayO

Thanks for your effort, I really do appreciate it.

However, I did set security settings to Medium and also
reset the medium settings to defaults...I disabled third
party extentions as well and rebooted. I don't have virus
scans, nor any firewalls.

Dispite all that, it still doesn't work on any site with
javascript links...in netscape they all do, every site.
And in searching the net for this problem definitly came
aross plenty of javascript links. Funny, cause the scripts
seam to work fine by themselves. Only with interation they
don't work.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

RayO

What do you mean by "interation"?

Open Notepad and copy this there:
<script>
window.location.href = "http://www.yahoo.com";
</script>

Then save the file as "test1.htm" (including the quotes) on the Desktop
and close Notepad. Then make sure you're connected and
then drag and drop the test1.htm into IE. Does Yahoo open up? If so,
that javascript method worked.

Then open a new Notepad again, copy:
<script>
window.open("http://www.yahoo.com","test","height=500;width=500");
</script>

Then save the file as "test2.htm" (including the quotes) on the Desktop ,
close Notepad. And again drag-drop the file into IE while connected.
If it opened Yahoo in a new window then that method worked too. If
it doesn't and the previous one did, then there might a pop-up blocker
at work.

Another thing to try in Internet Options is to
go to the Advanced tab and uncheck "Disable
Script Debugging", and check "Display a notification
about every script error". Then try the links. Hopefully
that gets us somewhere. If it still doesn't, post the URL
where you're having the problem.

[...]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Check your Java installation:
Java Tester - Home Page: http://javatester.org/
Additional information at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Hemispheres" <admin[at]bodstudios.com> wrote in message
[...]

.

RayO

If other javascript runs just fine, and links
that are suppose to open new windows
don't, then there is probably a popup blocker
of sorts on your system with setting so strict
that it's preventing these links from working
properly. Generally, if you have a popup
blocker, you want to set it to block automatic
popups, not popups that are suppose to open
after user interaction with links. The forthcoming
IE6 popup blocker of XP SP2, will default to
exactly that, block automatic popups, but not
block popups after user interaction with links.
Not all popups are bad, many of them are necessary
for browsing and various other functionality.

RayO

ok Thanks, I will look into that more closely.

Perhaps "Adware" did something to my system.

Don Varnau

RayO dude,
I did not read the original post very carefully ;-o
Thanks for the correction.
Regards,
Don

I was having problems in IE were hyperlinks were not working (javascript or
some html....mostly where a new window was involved).

I found this in the IE help for repairing problems with IE:

To uninstall Internet Explorer

If you encounter problems that you cannot resolve, it is often beneficial to
uninstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall it. This procedure replaces
files that might have been damaged.

In Windows, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
Notes

If you are using Windows XP, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
click Add or Remove Programs.
If you upgraded to Internet Explorer 6, when you uninstall Internet Explorer
6, you will go back to the version of Internet Explorer that was on your
computer before you upgraded.

I actually found IE under Add/Remove components. I removed IE then re-added
it and it fixed all my problems.

Hope this helps

I was having the same problem after installing Windows XP Pro SP2. I removed
IE from Add/Remove components and readded IE, and now all Javascripts work
just fine. Seems to be a good place to start for all having this problem as
it is a very easy fix.