java doesn't work

My java app has not been working for a while now. I downloaded Mozilla, and
use that when I have to, but I would like to solve this problem with IE6+.
I have downloaded and installed the Sun java app so many times. It refuses
to work. When I go to the site to download, the site just hangs forever, and
doesn't load. When I stop it, it then shows. Trying to use the automated
download version, it says that there is some kind of problem and cannot
continue. I am trying to get to it now to see what the exact wording of the
problem, but it is just hanging there opening the page...forever.
While I am waiting for that. I do not have any viruses, or adware or malware
on my computer. I check it regularly with 2 or 3 different spyware programs,
and run my virus scan regulary also.
Ok, I tried to load Sun Java again, and this is what the installer says,"
The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists
and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that
this is a valid Windows installer package." I just downloaded it off the Sunn
website???

This is what it says when I try the automated version.

Windows XP SP2 users: if you encounter an error, look at the top of this
page for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following
ActiveX control: 'J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6' from 'Sun
Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and
choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.

We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Javaâ„¢ software
onto your machine. As a result, Java software was not installed properly.

What can I do?
TIA
Maisie

Don Varnau

Hi,
First try going to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone and setting it
to Default.

A security update several months ago may have caused this problem.
909889- ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909889

You don't have to manually edit the registry as per that article. Try
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip (KB896688_fix.exe; a small
VB app that checks the 4 values and offers a repair option if any of them
are incorrect)
Or, this registry file: http://patch-info.de/IE/Downloads/OLEfix.zip
(OLEFix.reg) Download, save and right-click> merge.

After you get the current version of Java installed, previous versions of
Sun JRE/JSE/Java should be uninstalled from Control Panel> Add or remove
programs.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

RWS

[...]

We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install JavaT software
onto your machine. As a result, Java software was not installed properly.

What can I do?
TIA
Maisie

Hi!
Thanks for all the info,
I did all that you said to do, loaded sun java again, and the check on the
sun website says the java is loaded, and working properly, but it still does
not work on any webistes. I get a red X, or, in chat rooms it says my browser
does not support java. Arrrgghhhh..... LOL
What am I doing wrong??
At one point I reloaded Microsoft's VM, that doesn't work either.
The only thing I didn't do is use the proxy settings, because I don't
understand on how to set those up.
Thanks for all your help.
Maisie

Maisie said:
[...]

It may be no comfort, but I'm in the same mess, ie red x for any active
picture (like counters), messages about Javascript being disabled.
Also Trying to use Adobe on-line help file, I had to click on a bar which
came up saying "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has
restricted this file from showing active content that could access your
computer. Click here for options" - one of which is "allow blocked content".
The index and search features of the help file are not available without
"allowing blocked content"!
I've done the registry check and its all OK. I'm on default security
settings for IE. I'm sure this did not happen when I installed SP2.
I recently downloaded Sun Java runtime ver 9 (whatever that is) on request
from a Nero upgrade.
I'm lost! Anyone got a fix for this?
andy

Maisie said:
[...]

correction - it was Java runtime 1.5.0_06 I installed , and also ActiveX ver 9.
andy

"Maisie" <Maisie[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Andy,
Yep, That's what I downloaded too.
I never had this problem until a few months ago.
Still Sun says my java is working, or at least it's downloaded, but I'm not
getting anything but red X's. So if anyone can please help.... Please???
Maisie

:

[...]

Try this...
Turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or Security Center) and
disable third-party firewalls, security, privacy, ad-blocking, AV programs
to see if one of them is causing this.

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files (and
delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often recommended that
the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Control Panel> Java Plug-in> Cache> Clear.

Internet Options> Advanced> try checking Java (Sun) and unchecking Microsoft
VM. Then try the reverse.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Hi andy,
I think you have a different problem... with Javascript- not Java.

Some steps to try...
Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content. Norton Internet Security and a number of
other programs can be configured to block scripts.

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6

Re-registering the DLLs listed in this article may help:
281679 - You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens
After You Click a Link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi Don,
I turned on the windows firewall. It may have been on, when I turned off
McAfee, and then went to the windows security center,the firewall was already
on.When opening the Java plugin icon... there is no cache listed to empty.
My problems are never easy. lol
Thank you for helping me, but don't give up on me yet, please. I really want
to fix this.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Thanks Don for the suggestions.
Did all those things - no change.
Even disabled ZA firewall/spybot/adaware/AVG viruschecker one at a time
with no improvement.
Its interesting that my wife's PC (Win ME) on LAN with mine and ethernet
modem to broadband has exactly the same problem re seeing counters (the
dreaded red x) eg www.ultimatecounter.com but the info pane on her Win OE is
not telling her that IE has Javascript disabled like mine does.
So have I got 2 problems and her only one?
andy

andy said:
It may be no comfort, but I'm in the same mess, ie red x for any active
picture (like counters), messages about Javascript being disabled.
Also Trying to use Adobe on-line help file, I had to click on a bar which
came up saying "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has
restricted this file from showing active content that could access your
computer. Click here for options" - one of which is "allow blocked content".
The index and search features of the help file are not available without
"allowing blocked content"!
I've done the registry check and its all OK. I'm on default security
settings for IE. I'm sure this did not happen when I installed SP2.
I recently downloaded Sun Java runtime ver 9 (whatever that is) on request
from a Nero upgrade.
I'm lost! Anyone got a fix for this?
andy
"Maisie" wrote:

Don Varnau

Hi,
Sorry... I lost track of this topic. Check your Javascript at this
JavaScript Test Page:
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/EXPLORIT/java/IntroJavaScript.html

Also, for the Adobe Help problem, Internet Options> Advanced> Security>
check "Allow active content to run in
files on My Computer ."

By the way... I get a red X at www.ultimatecounter.com for the counter. I
think the site's broken.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

andy said:
It may be no comfort, but I'm in the same mess, ie red x for any active
picture (like counters), messages about Javascript being disabled.
Also Trying to use Adobe on-line help file, I had to click on a bar which
came up saying "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has
restricted this file from showing active content that could access your
computer. Click here for options" - one of which is "allow blocked content".
The index and search features of the help file are not available without
"allowing blocked content"!
I've done the registry check and its all OK. I'm on default security
settings for IE. I'm sure this did not happen when I installed SP2.
I recently downloaded Sun Java runtime ver 9 (whatever that is) on request
from a Nero upgrade.
I'm lost! Anyone got a fix for this?
andy
on
the still
does my
browser

I checked the java script. I guess it running, and I answered the questions
on the quiz right! WooHoo!
I have everything possible checked enabled. go to HGTV, and see if you can
take the tour of the home. I can't. I get a red X.
Does not having a cache for the java maybe have anything to do with it not
working?
Don't worry about losing track.... I'll wait forever if need be. I want to
fix this.
Thanks,
Maisie

"andy" <andy[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks again, Don.
the Javascript tests run OK, so I dont know why I'm getting the message
about it - I'l just ignore it now.
Adobe now is fine - easy eh!
I've e-mailed the counter site.
I hope you get your different problem fixed as well, Maisie. I've got this
Sun Java2 running but I don't even know what it is for!!!
andy

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Thanks for your patience. ;-)

The tour at http://www.hgtv.com/ requires Macromedia Flash. That's what the
ActiveX warning is about.

So, a third-party security program may be blocking Flash. Flash may not be
installed or it may be broken.

Start at http://www.macromedia.com/ Look for the "Download Flash Player"
link.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

andy said:
[...]

Nope the flash is working. When I also try to get into one of my scrapping
chat rooms, it says my brower does not support java, and to please install it.
I have it installed, but it's still not working. During one of Mcaffe's many
downloads to my computer, I no longer can see if java is blocked because
nothing is listed. I would uninstall and reinstall, but it was a download off
the site. And it's due to expire this month, but that's not my worry. It's
the java not functioning in the IE.
Thanks for all your help so far.
Can you think of anything else?
I'd get in touch with Sun and tell them of the problem, but no where I their
site do I see any support of any kind.
thanks,
Maisie

Don Varnau said:
[...]

When checking the objects in the internet files, I had 3 listings for java
1.5.0. I deleted 2 of them and then right clicked the last one for updates.
In my add and remove programs, I deleted the programs and reinstalled Java,
so I only have one there. I have the results of the of the jview, I hope I
don't get yelled at for listing it here, so you can tell me if everything is
ok or not.
But here goes,

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\MOM>cmd
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\DOCUME~1\Mom>jview
Microsoft (R) Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1996-2000. All rights reserved.

Usage: JView [options] <classname> [arguments]

/? displays usage text
/cp <classpath> set class path
/cp:p <path> prepend path to class path
/cp:a <path> append path to class path
/n <namespace> namespace in which to run
/p pauses before terminating if an error occurs
/v verify all classes
/d:<name>=<value> define system property
/a execute AppletViewer
/vst print verbose stack traces (requires debug classes)
/prof[:blush:ptions] enable profiling (/prof:? for help)

Classname:
.CLASS file to be executed.

Arguments:
command-line arguments to be passed on to the class file

C:\DOCUME~1\Mom>
Hope this helps.
Maisie

Don Varnau said:
So... If you visit http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml do you
see "Dancing Duke" to indicate that Java is working?

Do you, by now, have several listings for Java/JRE in Add/remove programs?

XP SP2, right? Did Microsoft JVM install successfully? Run the JVIEW command
(See: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/14.html ) What version of MSJVM
is indicated?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

[...]