Japanese Proofing Tools

N

Nomen Nescio

I have an English version of Word and MSs IME installed on my computer. I would like to be able to spell check my Japanese word processing. I also have a Japanese version of Word on another computer. Does anyone know what files I should copy over in order to spell check Japanese inputted via IME?

George

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Nomen,
I have an English version of Word and MSs IME installed on my computer. I would like to be
able to spell check my Japanese word processing. I also have a Japanese version of Word on
another computer. Does anyone know what files I should copy over in order to spell check
Japanese inputted via IME?Seems to me I replied to this the other day, already, but...

Please try asking in the word.internation.features newsgroup. You'll have a better chance to get
an authorotative answer there. I have some general remarks, but they may not all be applicable
to Japanese:

1. If the Japanese software is already installed on another machine, you would technically be
guilty of software piracy. (I think it's only fair - to you and to MS - to point this out :))

2. Often, what you ask can work if you: uninstall the English version, run a CUSTOM installation
for the other language, installing ONLY the proofing tools. Install the English version.
However, there is a danger that you'll get mixed language dialog boxes and messages.

3. If it's only the spell check, sometimes simply copying the appropriate *.lex file to the same
folder with your other *.lex files will work. As soon as Word encounters text formatted in
another language it looks for the dictionary, and registers it.

4. Certainly, for the most optimal performance (correct installation and registration), it's
best to have the Proofing Tools CD that has a proper Setup.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the newsgroup
and not by e-mail :)

Ask a Question