Windows 7 It's arrived

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm waiting on Sony to send me out Win 7 for my Vista upgrade on my Vaio Laptop..Lets hope its soon..
nod.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
sorry flopps, seem to have taken your thread over

wow, W7 found, since I checked, 64bit drivers for my sound card (the chipset actually), and they work.

No mail program ... I'm a bit peeved. :confused:

:wave:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Yeah when you recieve it in 3 weeks time Ab..:D

Give us a break. :p

Apart from the time I used MX-2 paste this will be the first time I have been up at the front of a tecnological revolution.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No Mail program Mucks? :confused:

Well that kinda buggers my idea not to use MS Office 2003 with this install.

Maybe.

Does Open Office have a Mail program?

Does anybody know of a freebie/Open Source Mail program that works with Win 7?

If so please spill da beans before I do a search :)

MS didn't tell us about that in the lists of different version features did they?

Home Premium Vista - Mail Program, Home Premium Win 7 - no Mail Program :mad:

I think Microsoft were in my good books for aprox 15 hours, they not any more, possibly a record... ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I went to get drivers for my Logitech G5 mouse and noted that the G5 isn't listed on Logitech's site, neither by G5 or part number.

I phoned Logitech support on an 0800 number (got straight through) and the guy had a look, came back and advised me to change the Logitech site location to the USA.

Hmm, ok. But then he told me that no Setpoint software was available yet for Windows 7 from Logitech and the Vista Setpoint software was not compatible with Windows 7.

I informed him that Logitech better get their skates on cos Win 7 is out in 2 days time and he laughed and said 'Thank you sir' in a mid-west American accent.

How odd.

Interestingly enough there are drivers/software available from Logitech for their G15 keyboard that works with Win 7, which I have already downloaded.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't worry about the lack of a mail application - they just make you download it separately (probably because of the anti-competitive legal problems they have had with Media Player and Internet Explorer in the past):

http://download.live.com/wlmail

muckshifter

Reaction score
yeah, had to go looking for "Windows Live Mail" and install it, mind you, they want you to use their online one ... funny, IE8 is installed, two versions ... :lol:

Logitech can go kiss my ass, I've had it with them this time, another one that wants you to buy a new mouse and install their very poor excuse for drivers, sod 'em, I'll use the mouse, but NOT their drivers. :rolleyes:

:wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Does anybody know of a freebie/Open Source Mail program that works with Win 7?
I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird with the RC for as long as i've been using the RC. :)

Cant wait for the retail one now.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thunderbird eh? I thought that only worked in Linux :blush:

I may very well give it a try, thanks V_R.

Ian: Thanks for Mail client info, that's a relief :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No Win 7 drivers for my Epson 4490 scanner, I just hope the Vista ones work within 7.

And that's it, all drivers collected.

Just three more Savegame folders to collect and I'll be ready to install.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, drives formatted, everything that I can think of backed up, questions, questions, like 'will me scanner and steering wheel work?' the uncertainty....

Here we go...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Go for it :D Most driver written for Vista will work in W7 if needs be :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Everything worked for me with the RC, even my Creative soundcard! lol

My G15 was the only thing that put up a fight, had to install the 64bit vista drivers in vista comparability mode. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Possible e-mail alternative for 7

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm

"Pegasus Mail is an e-mail client that runs on computers using Microsoft Windows: by client, we mean that it interacts directly with the user, allowing mail to be sent, read, filed, printed and otherwise manipulated through a graphical interface. Probably one of the most feature-rich mail clients available, most users say that they find the program easy to use despite its richness. Small and fast, Pegasus Mail can be left running permanently on the workstation and includes powerful tools to notify the user when new mail arrives."

http://www.pmail.com/history.htm

"By the standards of the ever-changing Internet, Pegasus Mail has a long history: it sent its first message in December 1989, and has been made available as a free service to the Internet since February 1990. The Windows version of Pegasus Mail first appeared in 1993, as did the first version of Mercury, my mail server. In the time since its initial release, Pegasus Mail has sent billions of messages for millions of people. It dates from the time when the Internet was a community rather than just a highway - a time when people helped each other without worrying too much about who was going to pay for it.
My name is David Harris - I'm the person who develops both Pegasus Mail and Mercury. There is no anonymous corporation behind the program, and the same pair of hands that wrote the first version in 1989 is still writing it in the year 2002. People regularly ask me why I originally wrote these programs, and why I still make them available for free: if you've got a moment, I'll try to give you a little background.
In 1989, the University where I worked (in Dunedin, New Zealand) installed its first Novell NetWare network. It wasn't until after we installed it that we found that it didn't include an e-mail system, but we'd already used up our budget and the commercial mail packages that were available were very expensive. To fill the gap, I wrote a simple e-mail program in my own time and made it available on the network: I was quite surprised to find that people liked it.
Early in 1990, after tidying it up a little, I made it available on the Internet at a friend's FTP site in Hawaii, expecting that four or five other sites might find a use for it... In the first week of availability, it was downloaded more than 100 times, which also surprised me. I found that I was receiving mail from people thanking me for giving them something they couldn't have afforded any other way -- communication. I grew to understand that communication had to be regarded as a right, not as a privilege: it seemed to me in 1989, as it still seems to me now, that freedom of speech is useless if nobody can hear you. Giving away Pegasus Mail seemed to be a means by which I could try to make communication more accessible to a much wider range of people who needed it - it was, if you like, my attempt to level the playing field a little, to remove some of the power from the faceless corporate giants who saw profit as the only possible end to enterprise."

Sounds like a facinating program. Must be pretty usable as it has been on the go since 1989. Think I'll give it a go when I do me 7 install.
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Win 7 up and running :)

The installation took precisely 20 minutes :eek:

So far have installed video drivers; Auzentech sound card drivers and Antivir. All working well.

It didn't ask for RAID drivers and also recognised the RAID 0 setup ok.

Installed the motherboard chipset drivers, which include the LAN drivers, and I was straight onto the Internet and home network. Didn't need to install router software.

Win 7 insists on a network access password and issues you with one. I've written it down but I would have preferred a choice of whether to have a password or not and to pick my own.

No sidebar I notice, is this an option? And I'm assuming the Vista gadets work, I like the app_launcher, that means I can delete the recycle bin icon from desktop and be icon free.We shall see.

Resolution is 1920 x 1200 but the task bar looks huge, I shall have to see how to change that.

Now I have a huge amount of installing to do.

muckshifter

Reaction score
V_R said:
yeah, no he's right, Thundebird don't work for me, cant find me email at all ... mind you Windows Live mail is as crap, it insisits on downloadin all my emails since 2004 ... and there's a feckin shed load of 'em.

So, so far I ain't using an email client, except to go to google.mail direct. Although I have a neat little short cut on Google Crome

I quite like this crome thingie ... :)

ah, smillies don't work ... hehehaha

Ask a Question