Windows 7 It's arrived

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The copy of Win 7 Home Premium from Dixons for £45.00 inc I ordered in advance way back when arrived today :)

So right now I'm gathering drivers, savegames, profiles, documents, e-mail addresses, important e-mails, Browser Bookmarks/Favourites and anything else I can think of. All my pictures, music and movie files are stored on a seperate storage drive so don't have to worry about those.

I may install later today but I'll probably wait until tomorrow morning as there's nothing like a fresh start and I don't have any work on tomorrow.

I'm assuming if I have Win 7 Home Premium in my sweaty little mitts right now it will activate before the official release date ok?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How strange, I thought it came out on the 22nd? It's not often things arrive early! :D

Yeah, go ahead and activate it - it's been out for a while on Technet/MSDN so activation isn't a problem. I'd strongly recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade and also going for x64 :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
me got mine too

... it will activate before the official release date ok?
I'll let you know tomorrow. :D

I'm just gonna disconnect me IDE Vista drive and install to the SATA drive ... may have to play with boot sequence on this system. If things go wrong, I'll just revert back, and yell a lot.

:wave:

muckshifter

Reaction score
aaaagggghhhh

I lied ...

... well, either the PC clock need puting forward to the 21st, or I got 2 dud DVDs :rolleyes:

May have to wait the 2 days ... unless you get yours "workin" first. :D

:user:

Reaction score
I look forward to reading your reaction regarding W7 FBS & Mucks etc.:wave:

Hope it’s as good as advertised.

:nod:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I lied ...

... well, either the PC clock need puting forward to the 21st, or I got 2 dud DVDs :rolleyes:

user.gif

Whoops spoke too soon :D :wall:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:

It won't let you activate? I'm so surprised by that! :eek: Bit of a shame really, as it's in your hands already. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yeah, go ahead and activate it - it's been out for a while on Technet/MSDN so activation isn't a problem. I'd strongly recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade and also going for x64 :)

Roger and wilco on both of those points, upgrades imo are a waste of time and I think 64 Bit drivers are available now for most everything.

Hmm, if Mucks can't activate his, maybe I best wait :confused:

I figured though that even if it won't activate you get 30 days to use the OS without activating.

Not sure what to do now.

Edit: Will probably go ahead anyway as Vista will be left on the 2 disks I'm taking out and replacing with a pair of Velicoraptors so I can always put them back for a few days.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ye i read some have been delivered already, good news! :)

Maybe trying to avoid the postal strikes?

I can say i've been well chuffed with the RC i'v'e been runnign for the last two months its really nice to use. :thumb:

Hope all goes well guys.

muckshifter

Reaction score
It don't get as far as activating, it just stalls on the first hurdle ... so if you is gonna go try out yours tomorrow, be my guest.

I know DVD are slow, but when it whines down and not start up again, it's not reading ... starts ok, just wondering if it somehow checks the BIOS date, and MS being MS don't want anyone installing before the 22 ... wouldn't put it passed them to do that.

Anyway, will try again in the morning, and use the phone number provided if all fails again ... wonder what they say if I try an RMA as I've opened the bloody thing.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I'm still gathering drivers and saved games and stuff so for the sake of a coupla days I'll probably just wait til Thursday.

We'll see.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just read on another forum that people have started installing already, so I'm not sure that's the problem Mucks :( Have you got another PC you can test it on to see if it boots further? Fingers crossed for you :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, right, I had considered searching the net to see how others had got on myself.

I think I'll just relax and wait til I'm ready and then just do it.

I have re-installed my floppy drive to my machine for to load the RAID drivers but I have yet to gather all drivers etc and I also have to format the two hard disks.

It all takes time, but as soon as I'm ready, in goes Win 7.

And assuming that goes ok my puckah copy of Vista will be installed on my media machine, giving me the rather excellent version of Vista's Media Centre to play movies on :)

I 've just opened the Win 7 package btw and I see they give you two disks, 32 bit and 64 bit. This is a good thing. Microsoft, briefly, are in my good books ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hello ...

... from Windows 7, I can see you.

Yup, DVDs are slow, 4min 23sec from initial screen to the next one ... the annoying bit was, it bloody looked dead to me. :rolleyes:

I'm first, I'm first ... :lol:

Now, where's me sound drivers ... what was the card called again?

I opted for auto activation on install, so I assum it happend, will soon let you know if it didn't

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mr Mucks, you managed to plant seeds of doubt here, slap on the wrist for you :mad:

Auto Acitivation?

Oh, don't worry, Microsoft will soon let you know if it hasn't auto activated ;)

Good news :) So how's it looking?

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, looks like Vista, but then we know that. :p

Auto activate takes 3 days, I found it, did it anyway and all is OK. :D

Me sound card is NOT W7 64bit compatable, bummer, was quite a nice card for Vista 32bit. :rolleyes:

Got "updated" drivers for the nVidia 9800gt though, 191.07 with DirectX 11 ... need to load games up and see, after I find new sound card, I'll probably just see what on-board does first.

No google toolbar. :confused:

... is late now, going to bed, I'm nuckin fackard.

TTFN

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Play.com tell me mine is in the post. Goody goody so I can join in the cutting edge fun too. :D

Ask a Question