Windows 7 ??

Reaction score
Hi Folks....i have the chance of a bargain today. It's Windows 7 pro for €49.
Anyway my question is can i upgrade from vista home premium to W7 pro and am i wasting my time "upgrading" as opposed to a "full" install ??

I just finished a stint of night shifts and have tried googling but i can't concentrate right now...i'm orf to beddy byes.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's better to do a full install, upgrades, if they work, will be full of detritus.

And each time I've installed Win 7 to Vista, I haven't had the option to upgrade, not sure why.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll only be able to do a clean install, which like Flops said is better anyway, as long as you can transfer everything ok.

It's a bit odd, as you'd think you should be able to do a straight upgrade. There is a chart on this site which shows you the upgrade paths : http://windows.microsoft.com/upgrade

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
never, never upgrade the operating system, always clean install ... :wave:

I would also advise using W7 64 bit, if your hardware is compatible ... WARNING! there is no such word as compatible in the PC industry.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On that subject, I recently installed my Canon G9 Camera software together with the two updates (mostly to do with RAW processing) and as yet they still don't have anything listed for Win 7, only Vista 32 & 64 Bit.

I haven't checked Logitech lately but I suspect they still don't have any Win 7 software, I shall have to check.

Reaction score
Thanks folks.....i think i need to research a bit more.....sounds like an upgrade may only bring trouble for me int long run.
Thanks again for the advice. I now have to see if my PC can take a 64 bit program.

Reaction score
MS say that upgrade routes are limited by the enviroment version you are upgrading from (theres also a licensing issue).

Vista Home -> Win 7 Home
Vista Business -> Win 7 Pro

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I went from Vista Home to Win 7 Home and was not given the chance to upgrade.

Not that I'd have wanted to, mind :)

Cap, change to Win 7, imo you won't regret it at all.

When you do upgrade, don't forget to backup any e-mails you may want to keep and your browser bookmarks/favourites, these two are often overlooked when wiping a disk.

Plus all the obvious stuff: Pix; Music; Documents; Savegames.

If your computer was built in the last three years it's very likely it can cope with a 64 Bit OS.

Reaction score
Thanks Flopp's and Ja Ling....i think i read somewhere that when you buy you get both versions !?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Thanks Flopp's and Ja Ling....i think i read somewhere that when you buy you get both versions !?

That is so.

My Win 7 came with 2 disks - 32 bit & 64 bit.

I'm using the 64 Bit version - it's finally come of age and I've experienced no problems at all.

Reaction score
Hi folks it's me again, lol. I have done some nosing about and have done an a microsoft advisory scan and a belarc advisory system scan.
As far as i can see i think i might be able to handle a 64 bit OS but i'd need someone to take a look at the reports below.

I would like to draw attention to the memory cache bit on the belarc report
nod.gif

Attachments

• Advisory report.jpg
    Advisory report.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Belarc.jpg
    Belarc.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Okay i have made me mind up....i'm gonna upgrade from Vista to W7 but i'm a little scared, even after having read up quite a bit. Apparently, quite a few folks have had issues.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You have 4 Gb of ram and a Dual Core cpu your good to go. If you install the 64 bit version you will be able to see all of your ram being utilised. Mind you with a 2 Ghz cpu it ain't going to be a fast and furious ride.

nod.gif

Obviously I would have installed a GNU/Linux variant and spent the loot I had saved on some more goodies. :p

Reaction score
4 ?..... It says 3Gb of RAM. My laptop reported 3.7Gb or something when I had Vista on it.
Which is the most that the 32bit versions can recognise.

What I advise is that if you have 4Gb or more then go to 64bit.
If you don't... save yourself the possible problems caused by 32bit apps in a 64bit enviroment and just install the 32bit version.

Ask a Question