It's a crime ... to take pictures

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
From today (16 February 2009), anyone taking a photograph of a police officer could be deemed to have committed a criminal offence.

That is because of a new law - Section 76 of the Counter Terrorism Act - which has come into force.

It permits the arrest of anyone found "eliciting, publishing or communicating information" relating to members of the armed forces, intelligence services and police officers, which is "likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism".

That means anyone taking a picture of one of those people could face a fine or a prison sentence of up to 10 years, if a link to terrorism is proved.

The law has angered photographers, both professional and amateur, who fear it could exacerbate the harassment they already sometimes face

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7888301.stm

Did you know, the Royal family are part of the armed forces, now as the law stands you are liable to be arrested if you take their pic. :rolleyes:

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've taken lots of pictures in Central London and have never been stopped or questioned, even once outside the Ministry Of Defence where police officers armed with machine guns patrol 24/7.

I have been scrutinised a few times though, I must look harmless I suppose ;)

I understand their fears but enforcing this law gives police the right to aprehend, question and presumably detain, at their discretion, anybody carrying a camera. Which, were they to include mobile phones that take pictures into the equation, gives police the power to aprehend most of the population, which is kinda scary.

I am reminded of the old Suss law, a dangerous law in it's time.

Real terrorists would likely not be so stupid to openly weild a camera in sensitive areas but would take pictures covertly, with a lens on the lapel kind of jobbie. Especially as the greater majority of current terrorists probably have an outward ethnic appearnce that will make police suspicious of them from first sighting.

So, in my view, the law is next to useless to achieve it's aim but does give our police force far more power over us than most would deem acceptable.

Reaction score
Some pic's taken of police have resulted in criminal procedures being taken against them ranging from serious Assault.. Manslaughter.. and Murder. Keep snapping Citizen's.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Whats your problem with that. Your doing nothing wrong so you have nowt to fear,,,,,right. ;)

Wake up to the new free britain.
happywave.gif

Ask a Question