UK Government must act on e-crime

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A House of Lords report on "Personal Internet Security" suggests that the Government must do more to protect UK users against e-crime.

Some of the recommendations include setting up a central system for reporting online crimes and an increase in resources available to the police force to catch and prosecute criminals.

Further information is available at the BBC

Attachments

• ecrime.jpg
    ecrime.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
gullible peaple are always the victims whether on the net or not. That's life. I do agree they should do more but common sense goes along way. It's not as if someone can rob your wallet at knife point whilst surfin the net. 99% percent of cyber crime depends on user error.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm agree - there will always be people that fall for it to matter what. I think the main thing that would reduce the problem (which the report includes) would be easier prosecution for people that do it in the first place. It should be easy enough to find out who they are (with the correct resources), and once the main rings are broken then it would probably stop... and then move onto something else ;)

The problem is that many of the people that do this aren't in the UK/EU/US, so it's harder to stop.

Reaction score
I believe this is more than just a police matter.Educating people is a major way of stopping fraud.Every government should do its best to ensure thier citizens economic security.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Education takes a generation to evolve ... :D

People are starting to ignore emails, however, the nasties are now propagating on other, more lucrative, avenues.

The Government haven't got a snakes chance in hell of organising their own websites, what chance have they at "educating" people.

It is sad state of affairs indeed. :(

:rolleyes:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
A House of Lords report on "Personal Internet Security" suggests that the Government must to more to protect UK users against e-crime.

Call me a cynic, but I always fear,that when "The Government" gets involved with almost anything (especially in the computer field), then it is likely to be a disaster and totally useless.

Ask a Question