Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?

stingray1965

If you guys think that is bad, try this one on for size.

My wife and I both have Vista desktops with Linksys wireless network
adapters and I have a Vista laptop that I sometimes use on the same home
wireless network. My daughter has an XP desktop with a Linksys wireless
network adapter. The XP desktop NEVER has a problem reconnecting with the
network after being asleep. However, not only do the Vista computers drop
the network after going to sleep overnight, but when we go to reconnect, the
adapter can't find the network. We either have to reboot the computer or
disable then reenable the driver for the adapter. And we have the most
recent Linksys adapter drivers available.

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve that problem? Linksys has been no
help at all.

Thanks in advance.

JW

I have seen the same problem and found that if I try to log on to the router
at 192.168.1.1 that it can which means that it is in fact connected and
after that it will show up and start working. At other times it will
connect to another Linksys router on the network and not mine and I have to
disconnect from the other one before it will find mine or before I log on to
my router.

JW

Charlie's post and mine above were written at the same time. Now that I
have seen his I would like to add that my laptop is running Vista Home
Premium SP1 RC1 and I am not sure that I was having the problem before I
installed SP1 RC1 back in December. Hopefully the problem will go away when
I install SP1 RTM when it is released next month.

adammik

I have the same experience. I have Vista on a laptop with Wi-Fi. When it
awakes, it takes about 20 seconds to reestablish the Wi-Fi internet
connection.

what is nic? do u mean ncsi?
--
nospampamiam

Kerry Brown said:
This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
driver. Do you have the latest driver?

whats immeadiately? i can go peform a task and come back
and its ready. (that about 2 min)

addie

I have had this problem since I got my new computer running vista on it. Also
I keep geeting errors in my event log that it can't reastablish a connection,
but I can get online, it just takes longer. I have called HP about it but
they don't know anything, I called microsoft and they want more money to talk
to me, but this is a problem with vista. I did some research and found that
they do have a patch you can apply for it, but I am not sure if I should mess
around with that. If anyone knows of this and has done it successfully, can
you please let me know? I am working on a desktop HP pavillion computer.
Thanks

FourForsters

Hi, I've been reading this string of posts for a couple weeks now hoping to
see my problem listed. I have an HP dv9623cl with dual 1.9 GHz processors
running Vista Home Premium version 6.0.6000, 2 GB of main memory and about
300 GB of storage on 3 installed hard drives. You'd think with that kind of
processing and storage power everything would happen 5-10 seconds BEFORE you
pressed a key.

If I shut the top when I reopen it it starts back up in a short time, maybe
10-20 seconds. If I just leave it sit, it goes to sleep (or something like
that) and takes from 3-6 MINUTES to open back up. I have to press the power
key to get it going and then go fix something to eat because it takes forever
to get back to where I can see the desktop. It takes it maybe 5-10 seconds
to connect to the web after the desktop comes active.

AmI the only one having this problem? Is there something really easy that
I'm just not doing? I am quite hardware oriented, I am an EE and designed
military and telecom computers for 25 years) but have never been really
interested in systems and software. I am a user, not a system type.
Probably dumb but that's the way I started out and just kept at it. Besides,
I am fused from T11 down to L6 in my back and the medicine I take screws my
memory so bad some times I can't do what I used to do so I retired.

I havew an older (1 year old) HP laptop running XP with 100 GB of disk, 1 GB
main memory and a .9 GHz processor and have NEVER had these problems. I
really don't like Vista but can't reload with XP because my wife uses it with
an HP Express digital tuner. Some things are just out of my control.
Actually I don't mind it at all but things like this pose problems.

Does anyone have a soultion? I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Double D

I have a similar problem, working on my computer off and on all day, but
when I go to log off or shut down at night, it won't. I end up having to shut
it off by the power button. Its a laptop, using wireless, and update
regularly.

vistauser5

Not only that but Vista can be awfully slow when trying to shut down . I
would think after a year Microsoft could have resolved these problems . I am
sure that many have complained . I wonder if Vista is the worst Windows yet .
Bill Gates should certainly be issuing some refund checks .

vistauser5

What is an NIC Driver ? Where do you find it and how do you update it ? The
slowness of Vista on certain things can drive you nuts .

Juice

It is not limited to you. I have the same problem but I am not a Tech person
and don't know how to resolve the problem.

PK

well I just installed Vista for the second time, after it goes to sleep when
i try and wake it up the pc goes crazy and dont respond to me, you can hear
the engine rumble

RE-CYCLED TEENAGER

I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM AND AFTER SPENDING HOURS ON THE PHONE TO INDIA,
LUCKILY THEY HAD TO PHONE ME ON MY MOBILE, AS I CANNOT USE MY LANDLINE AND
INTERNET AT THE SAME TIME, MY COMPUTER TOWER HAD TO GO BACK TO DELL (inspiron
530) ONLY BOUGHT LAST JULY. NOW RETURNED, APPEARS NEW HARD DRIVE FITTED.
STILL NOT AS FAST AS IT WAS, I BLAIM THE NEW POWER SAVE MODE WHICH APPEARED A
COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO, NO PROBLEMS PREVIOUSLY. LOST ALL MY DATA, INFO ON
SCREEN NOT THE SAME, LOST LOTS OF MY TOOLBAR eg AUTOFILL, WISH I HAD
CONTINUED USING THE COMPUTER AT THE LIBRARY AND SAVED MY MONEY.

jaf

Wish I had that problem. I have a Gateway laptop, windows vista home premimum
and I can't get the screen saver or sleep mode to work. Any ideas?
Thanks

Claus

I have the same issue, but in my case the wireless adapter never re-establish
the connection (when I use the hybrid-sleep).

I have a linksys wusb300n, with the latest driver. I have contacted linksys
support and they informed me this is a common issue and does not have a
solution until today.

As a workaround, I set my start power button to hybernate instead of sleep.
That let me back to windows xp, but it is better than shutting down.

Chuck E

Hello, Pragnesh,

I tried to write you but I guess it didn’t get through. I owe you a great
deal of thanks s by following your instructions the whole situation was
completely cleared up. Both the keyboard Zoom and the mouse lateral scroller
activate with only one click of the icon and continue to work throughout the
session. All in all I can say that the improvement is quite dramatic. If I
can write to your supervisor to tell him/her of your help I'll be more than
happy to do so.

While I've got you here three is one other issue that you might be able to
help me with, though I'm not sure if this is something that qualifies as
hardware or if it would be software. At any rate the issue is this. my
operating system is Vista Ultimate SP1 and there is one item that is
something of a bother. On the start line there is an arrow to the right
beyond which is a box with several options one of which is Sleep. For almost
as long as I have had this computer, which came with the Vista, it has been
very reluctant to enter the Sleep mode. If it is working properly the monitor
will shut down and a moment later the computer as indicated by the operation
of the fan also shuts down leaving the power light blinking slowly. To
reawaken the computer one can either press any key or slick the mouse and the
computer will return to the state it was in before the Sleep selection. Ever
since I've had the computer however it has been reluctant to go to sleep.
When I first got it would go to sleep probably 3 times of five, but that
frequency has steadily diminished; since installing SP1 it got noticeably
worse to the point where it will go to sleep at the most 1 out of 10
attempts. The rest of the time after clicking on the sleep command the
monitor will shut down followed a few seconds later by the hard drive light.
The power light, however, stays on steadily and indefinitely. There are no
inputs of any kind that have any effect on the computer. The only way to shut
it down is to press and hold the power button for several seconds until the
power is in fact shut off. When it comes to restarting the computer the power
button must be pushed and then it proceeds through the beginning of the
startup procedure. There then appears a screen that gives the option to
“Restart Windows Normally.†If this is not clicked the computer seems to go
into a mode of some sort of self check which takes at least several minutes.
After selecting the “Start Windows Normally†it does seem to go through a
normal sequence of starting. When the restart is complete it simply comes to
the user selection screen and then the desktop. There is no return to the
condition of preceding the sleep attempt. I read somewhere that another way
to trigger the sleep mode is to press the Start button between the Cntrl key
and the Alt key, then move on almost immediately to press the Right arrow
key, followed by Enter. This has worked perhaps once or twice, but sleep is
not entered it goes through the same procedure as with the sleep selection at
the end of the Start bar. It is actually easiest to choose “Shut Down†rather
than sleep. I know that all this is a bit unusual, and though I wrote to
Gateway about it their answer did ne no good at all. That is why I certainly
hope that as an actual Microsoft representative you can maybe come up with
ideas as effective as your setting straight the Keyboard and Mouse. Your
directions were quite clear and as soon as they had been instituted the
problem was gone. By the way, you mentioned changing the USB ports and I did
try that, but there was no difference afterward. It was the other steps that
seemed to be quite effective and I thank you for your help.