Is This Adware/Spyware?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully there will be no rubbish ads like that in, as I've filtered out any that I might has missed a few months ago. Let me know if anything appears again and I'll sort it - in the longer term I'm looking for computer hardware/retailers to purchase slots which will be much better quality ads :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That code currently hosted on FastClick.Net (FastClick.com, Inc.) bypasses several popular pop-up blockers, the malware detects and circumvents several different pop-up blocking mechanisms. However, it is not readily obvious that users face any threat (beyond annoyance) from this piece of code. The code seems to get around the pop-up blocking of various applications by carefully interweaving parent/child object relationships and certain input events. In the case of Internet Explorer, however, the code is considerably more aggressive. It invokes four COM objects, presumably in an attempt to dodge pop-up blocking applications.

I’d like to reiterate at this time that there’s no indication the software is overtly malicious… only that it is a pest. Users concerned about the unwanted pop-ups can block FastClick’s code by using the following line in a HOSTS file: 127.0.0.1 media.fastclick.net

For the most security, I’d recommend that all requests to the fastclick.com and fastclick.net domains be blocked.

;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
HEY! don't listen to me then ... and I quote "well not in my book, I say do NOT click it ... it even screws with FF ... talk about popups." end-quote

:p

Sod the new Rules ... fastclick.net suck big time. ;)

I did listen but by then it was to late> I was on my 2nd PC when I read it whoops:D to late it was running on no1!!!!!!:eek:
Still it kept me out of trouble:p and stop shouting you know I am deaf anyways;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Let me know if anything appears again and I'll sort it.

Just to let you know Ian, I am at work at the mo using I.E 6 and i seen a couple of fastclick ad's.
Just the old 'You have won our hourly prize' But most of the time they are just the vonage ones.

:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
For the most security, I’d recommend that all requests to the fastclick.com and fastclick.net domains be blocked.

;)
:)

Just in case you misunderstand ... My comment is directed at Ian and was in the way of a formal request.

But I also sugest you block "fastclick.com / fastclick.net" via IE security settings ... go to;
Tools / Internet Options / Security / Restricted Sites ... press the button Sites and 'add' *.fastclick.net & *.fastclick.com ... this will not stop you seeing the ads but will afford some protection against fastclick causing any mischief. ;)

... and while I'm here, add to that, winfixer.com ... I tripped over that little s h i t ad again last night in my travels around the world.

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Just in case you misunderstand ... My comment is directed at Ian and was in the way of a formal request.

Ok, if spyware software has been advertised once again on that advert I can't really keep it in place. I will remove fastclick now and try to find something else that would be suitable.

Just to clarify to everyone, you won't get spyware at all just from looking at the advert - you would have to actually visit the site and install whatever it is.

Although many sites would probably keep the banner in place but just recommend users not to download it, I'm not willing to advocate spyware prevention whilst at the same time display advertising which shows the occasional spyware company (it is run by a 3rd party network, so I can't pick and choose ads).

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Ok, if spyware software has been advertised once again on that advert I can't really keep it in place. I will remove fastclick now and try to find something else that would be suitable.

Just to clarify to everyone, you won't get spyware at all just from looking at the advert - you would have to actually visit the site and install whatever it is.

Although many sites would probably keep the banner in place but just recommend users not to download it, I'm not willing to advocate spyware prevention whilst at the same time display advertising which shows the occasional spyware company (it is run by a 3rd party network, so I can't pick and choose ads).

A Google/Firefox advert is now in place until I can find something else :)
Like the NEW ad ... :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Like the NEW ad ... :D

Unfortunatly I had to remove that google/firefox ad a few mins after installing it after reading what it can do to the adsense adverts! I've put some Dell ones up for the time being until I can get something in place :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh well, at least I seen it ... :D

We'll just have to get some more sponsors ... :thumb:

Ask a Question