Is this a logic board problem? And can it be fixed?

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
'Brand New Second Hand'
Macbook pro 15", 2Gig Ram,
all standard factory specs no modding,
Running OS Leopard
2 years old
bought by me 5 months ago and ran just fine for the first 4 months.

I was using it as normal about a month ago when suddenly I got these fritzy lines across the screen. These disapeared after restarting but shortly reappeared again becoming worse each time untill they would come up immediately, on a grey screen background upon restarting before bringing up a sign, distorted by these lines, telling me that I had to restart the computer again.

The lines are in a drawn out WVW (not identical but the best I can do sorry) pattern, are 'dotted' (like static on a TV screen) not solid as I've drawn are usually about 2-3 times the size my font here allows but sometimes are smaller even than I've drawn.
The lines of this across the screen are interupted in various places not continuous and subsequent lines have the same breaks making vertical rows.
At first sometimes they would cover the whole screen and sometimes just part (either vertically or horizontally) but later they would cover the whole screen each time.

After a very short period of time I could not get the computer to open further than the grey screen & restart required notice.

I turned to the manual and tried inserting the first of the install discs, & starting the computer according to instructions, which now allowed me to access first aid and I ran a full check.
Skipping all of the times when it fritzed out and I had to start again I checked the software, all shiny, The hardware, again 'no problems' and did a complete erase & re install.
After the latter I was able to run the computer for long enough to do a quick check on functions and try assorted things (open & use assorted software, browse the internet, load & play a game, etc) all seemed to working fine so I settled down to start using the computer happy to have fixed things... then the fritzy lines came up again. It went straight from there to the grey screen start mode this time and now will not open even with the install disc 1 inserted. Starting the computer takes me straight to the greyscreen even then.

I went to the local Mac shop and described the situation above to the guy there and he tells me that it sounds like a logic board problem and probably can't be fixed. But, since this is a retail outlet NOT a repair shop, and he would have a vested interest in selling me a new computer......

So here I am.
Does anyone know what this is and can it be fixed? (And if so is it likely to be a mega-bucks repair or pretty straightforward?)
I'm getting pretty desperate.

Thank you in advance for any help offered.
ciri.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm no expert but it sounds to me as if it's either a hardware problem and the display is faulty or there is a fault with the Mac's graphics display generator which I guess the fella in the shop calls a logic board.

Odd description, 'logic board' as pretty much every bit of electronics in a computer of every kind is based on logic, simply processing noughts and ones.

I don't know anything about the hardware side of macs unfortunately but I would suggest finding a local dealer who's prepared to repair Macs and get a quote.

Just out of interest I recently reloaded XP onto a friends' sons' Dell, it cost 600 new, and all was fine for a few weeks until he dropped it and buggered the display.

My friend said he could get a replacement display for 100 and would I be interested in fitting it? I said no, I hate working on laptops but they found a local guy who would supply the display and fit it for 150.

That price, imo, was worth it for a £600 machine that was less than two years old and loaded with lots of personal data.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thanks guys, That was pretty much what I was afraid of :( I've been waiting weeks to be able to ask you. Looks like I'm going to be incommunicado a lot still after all :(:(:( But I'll get on whenever I can borrow a computer. Should have this one for a wee bit longer hopefully.
Thank you.
Hugs
ciri

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Woah hold on a sec, all may not be lost

This could this be down to the shoddy nVidia 8600 chips. That was about 2 years ago so you could well have one of them in it which is causing the issues you are describing

I'm guessing you don't have any warranty left, however seeing as Apple were fixing these laptops for free (basically swapping the motherboards from what i can tell) you may still be in luck

Take a look at this

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That looks promising Me_2001 :thumb: Let's hope Ciri comes back to take a look fairly sharpish.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That looks promising Me_2001 :thumb: Let's hope Ciri comes back to take a look fairly sharpish.

I have visions of the laptop being dumped and then her coming back only to see this :(

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thank you Thank you Thank you :D :D :D
Being sharpishly back in time I just saw your post Me_2001, Phoned up MagnumMac, spoke to their Techie department & they've said no problem :)
I'm to bring it in, they'll run some tests & if that's what's wrong then they'll replace the chip :D:D:D
It was manufactured in 2007 so it probably was within the May 2007 - sept 2008 period when that chip was used so... cross your fingers for me I may just be lucky this time. I have not liked being computerless at all, especially with no forseeable hope of having the money to get a new computer things were looking very bleak. I can't tell you how happy I am :D:D:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
hope you have good news ...

... good news is a fried chip they replace. :D

:wave:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
No problem Ciri, was just praying you saw my post before disposing of the laptop

Let us know how you get on with it
user.gif

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Got my computer back today, repaired free of charge. Thank you all of you for your help, and especially you me_2001. You have saved me from the oblivion of life sans computer :D:D:D
I am dancing :D:D:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
pick me out six number will you, for the lotto ... :D

:cool:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Glad to hear it Cirianz :D I guess spending all my time reading about stuff on the internet pays off after all

Ask a Question