Is there a way to disable TrustedInstaller?

Brian Kitt

I've seen posts for months about what a piece of crap TrustedInstaller is.
It constantly goes out, buries the CPU, and otherwise makes Vista totally
useless. Of my list of 100 annoyances about Vista, this has to be the #1.
Is there any way to shut this off? I'm not one of those NOOBS incapable of
doing my own updates, why does MS deem fit to kill my machine and check for
updates so often?

If my laptop had drivers for XP, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Smithsonian

That might not be a good idea. Im a trusted installer noobie. Ive been
reading posts about trusted installer and it sounds like windows update uses
it. Trusted installer is in the file permissions. That might cause a problem
for vista. This may be correct or incorrect

Tom Griffith

Yes - either back install XP or try LINUX. As a CIO for a large company my
personal experinece has lead me to the opinion that I would not remotely
consider upgrading any user in our 20+ thousand work force to Vista. On my
home computer, not running all the corporate overhead software, the machine
is continually rendered useless by "trusted installer". Also, other packages
also have problems (WMP for example). I'll probably spend time tomorrow
downgrading my machine back to XP so I can again be poductive at home. Thank
god I didn't subject any actual users to this OS.

Machine at home specs - P4 3Ghz, 2GB RAM, Vista ultimate edition - this is
beyond what most of the machines at my office run

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Servicing is now now working on your system
Trustedinstaller is what is used to update the OS,
So this implies that the you are no longer updating the OS.
Patches should not install
Security updates should not install
Service Packs should not install
Optional Components should not available
plus other packages that attempt to update OS files through supported OS
means.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: soraizhere <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Is there a way to disable TrustedInstaller?
| >Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:30:54 -0500
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

i went into some security permission setting for the entire servicing
folder and gave myself full control and denied TrustedInstaller any
access. that kept it from loading. was this a good idea? i mean, so far
everything is working great.