CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller

Ed.

Hi,

I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
what could be going on?

Thanks.
Ed.

mines doing the same thing, just today, was weird
i looked nothing big was running, and i couldn't get basic things to open
just froze.
i got speedfan running and it showed a cpu temp of 144f way above my average
102, and running 100% capacity
if you dont got speedfan copy past--->
http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/
see if your having the same prob if your not sure

Ed.

I think I stumbled across the answer. I had changed my power settings
from Performance to Power Saver. I changed them back to Performance
and now everything seems OK. I don't know why that would have made a
difference, but everything seems back to normal now.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Ed
Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again consume
100% cpu?
I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the CPU
was pegged.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Ed." <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:20:28 -0700
|>
|> I think I stumbled across the answer. I had changed my power settings
|> from Performance to Power Saver. I changed them back to Performance
|> and now everything seems OK. I don't know why that would have made a
|> difference, but everything seems back to normal now.
|>
|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
|> > performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
|> > machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
|> > Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
|> > is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
|> > other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
|> > drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
|> > what could be going on?
|> >
|> > Thanks.
|> > Ed.

MG

Darrell,

there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe at
100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe runs
(zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.

I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not notice
it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is kinda
like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".

Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to run?

Regards,
Marius

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Ed
Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again consume
100% cpu?
I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the CPU
was pegged.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Ed." <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:20:28 -0700
|>
|> I think I stumbled across the answer. I had changed my power settings
|> from Performance to Power Saver. I changed them back to Performance
|> and now everything seems OK. I don't know why that would have made a
|> difference, but everything seems back to normal now.
|>
|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
|> > performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
|> > machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
|> > Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
|> > is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
|> > other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
|> > drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
|> > what could be going on?
|> >
|> > Thanks.
|> > Ed.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Marius,
That could be it, more than likely trustedinstaller is checking for updates
or responding to someone requesting a check for updates.
Looking into this some more.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "MG" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:31:45 +0200
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|> Darrell,
|>
|> there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe
at
|> 100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe
runs
|> (zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
|> Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.
|>
|> I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not
notice
|> it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is
kinda
|> like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".
|>
|> Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to
run?

|> Regards,
|> Marius

message
|> > Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
|> > Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again
consume
|> > 100% cpu?
|> > I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the
CPU
|> > was pegged.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!postnews.google.com!w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com!not
|> > -for-mail

Manager

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I have a Core 2 Duo and 4GB memory. I have
to restart several times to come up without TrustedInstaller running. I pegs
one core and runs forever. If Come up without it running it starts after I
start say Media Player. Makes it totally unusable. Alot of reports of this
are on the Internet but no one seems to have a solution. I suspect it is the
result of a recent patch by Microsoft as everyone is starting to report it
more or less at the same time. Hopefully MS reads this newsgroup and will
fix it.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Marius,
That could be it, more than likely trustedinstaller is checking for updates
or responding to someone requesting a check for updates.
Looking into this some more.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "MG" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:31:45 +0200
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|> Darrell,
|>
|> there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe
at
|> 100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe
runs
|> (zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
|> Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.
|>
|> I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not
notice
|> it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is
kinda
|> like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".
|>
|> Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to
run?

|> Regards,
|> Marius

message
|> > Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
|> > Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again
consume
|> > 100% cpu?
|> > I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the
CPU
|> > was pegged.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!postnews.google.com!w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com!not
|> > -for-mail

Manager

Same problem with me, w/ vista ultimate 32 bit. I think it´s related to the
update service service, but not sure. I Microsoft should explain what this
process do because it does not seem that "trusted" for me if it´s eating my
processor every other minute. Sad to say but Vista has been also a great
disapointment. All the graphic stuff is just a makeup I think that not many
people even appreciate or even use.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Marius,
That could be it, more than likely trustedinstaller is checking for updates
or responding to someone requesting a check for updates.
Looking into this some more.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "MG" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:31:45 +0200
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|> Darrell,
|>
|> there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe
at
|> 100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe
runs
|> (zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
|> Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.
|>
|> I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not
notice
|> it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is
kinda
|> like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".
|>
|> Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to
run?

|> Regards,
|> Marius

message
|> > Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
|> > Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again
consume
|> > 100% cpu?
|> > I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the
CPU
|> > was pegged.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!postnews.google.com!w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com!not
|> > -for-mail

Manager

I'm also having problems with trustedinstaller for a few days. It started
suddendly. Today also Services.exe started to take 40% of the CPU time.
Process Explorer didn't show any special information.

Is there any solutions yet, since this problem seems to be reported for a
while already.

Marcus