Is my computer dead?

Reaction score
Well i got a ****ty com puter. Its a old Acer i dont know exactly what kind im at the library becauseim unable to use it.

What happens now is that when I start it up it says invalid partition.. so i bought something i thought might help.

Some kind of system repair or what ever.

It allows you to manually fix the partitions.

Now I had 2 partitions one in drive 0 and one in drive 1 the one in drive 1 says it is damaged..i tried to delete them which is a function of this software and i get to a point where it says disk i/o error cant delete or some crap.

Anyway that was a few days ago i fixed the partition in drive 0 but drive 1 still has 3 damaged areas i guess.

Well now when i start it it comes up

Insert Dos disk or something.

This computer was running on windows 98.

And i think i deleted 98 off the computer so i dont know what to do, i have windows xp but it is only the first addition and when trying to install it from the cd i cant because i need the second edition windows 98 or millenium.

So the windows xp didnt work.

So i am wondering if there is some way i can get into the prompt and fix it t his way or if there is a way with the software i bought to make it so the partitions are ok

also what is
disk i/o error.

This isa old computer. I can only get to the Bios screen after that if i dont want to do the bios i got straight to the insert DOs disk or something screen.

1. What is the dos disk? I do not have any t ype of recovery disk for this com puter as i bought it second hand.

2.Is there a way to get windows xp first edition to work.

3.This problem occured awhile ago, i was playing poker then i had to restart because of lag, then i got the invalid partition or some **** screen.

4.If i need a windows 98 disk where can i get one? I cant find them anywhere, im sure if i got this i could get it working.

SORRY FOR THE JUMBLED AND GRAMMAR ERRORS IM IN A HURRY.

Reaction score
also is there anyway to fix this in BIOS.. and is there anyway to get to the prompt

also im at the librarys computer so could i bring a disk from home a floppy or something and download a program at the library and bring that home to fix the problem? is there something i can dl.

Reaction score
We need some info about your PC Make/Model etc.

Oh and welcome

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If sounds like your hard drive has had it (it may be possible to remove all partitions and start again from scratch). Do you have any essential information on that PC? If not, I'd go and buy a new hard drive for about £40 and start again with Windows 98 (or XP if it can handle it).

I'm not sure where to get Windows 98 from now, but a quick check on ebay should bring some results :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Heres the 98 disk...you do have a valid key though ? yes !
and also Microsoft have stopped support ...better off with XP :)

Ask a Question