Is my camera broken? (Large Pics)

Reaction score
Hello...

I've noticed recently my well used although cared for D50 is producing some rather noisy images.

I'm sure they didn't used to be as grainy.

See a couple of pics from my camera. ISO is on 200.

9tooc3.jpg

2lsyyc1.jpg

Last edited:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Aiming for perfection Chris...pity Quads is not available...

maybe Here may be of help ..

didn`t see the second pic as i suffer from vertigo m8 :)

Maybe Shirley from number 34 should hang her smalls inside , as they are rather racy :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bit of a strange one that..You'd expect that sort of grainyness with the ISO more around 1600 mark or so..My other half has a D50, just having a play around with it as i'm not to familiar with it..When she gets in, i'll ask her opinion on your pics..she's more than qualifieed to answer..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Check your pic size setting in the menu.

I had a similar issue with a Coolpix S500 I'd set it to max - which was basically the highest res it would do plus some added factor which I never really investigated, tbh. However, when I set it one notch below (same res but without that 'added' factor) pix were great again.

I know a compact isn't the same as your D50 but the point I'm trying to make is check all your settings before suspecting something nasty has happened.

Reaction score
OK the settings for the second picture were as follows:

Camera mode: Fully Manual
Image Quality: Fine
Image Size: LARGE 3008x20xx
White Balance: Auto
ISO: 400
Long Exp. NR: ON
Optimize Image: Sharper

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm. I just read that Ken Rockwell article/review.

He reckons the D40 is better than the D50.

I have the D40X which has a higher megapixel count than the D40 but other than that is more or less identical.

The D40X, of course, can only take AF-S lenses, that is, with the auto-focus mechanism built into each lens rather than the camera body. I didn't realise that when I made my purchase. This doesn't affect quality, as far as I know, but it sure as hell does affect the lens pricing :eek:

Still, I digress. To my mind, Chris's D50 takes better pix than my D40X from what I've seen of his postings.

Either that or I've been lazy and haven't RTFM and experimented enough.

The latter is probably the case, I suspect.

As to the noisy pictures, the two pix posted here actually look quite good to me. I'd need comparisons, probably, to discern a difference. Can anybody else see noise present in those pix?

And Chris, I'm not familiar with the D50 settings but what you've posted looks ok to me. I was merely suggesting you double check everything in case you've missed something obvious.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Huh! :confused:

You take a pic through glass and expect it to be perfect ... :rolleyes:

You take a "speed-shot", on "Auto" and expect the camera to take the perfect shot ... :lol:

Sorry, but you need to practice using the thing ... go take a few lessons. ;)

You can always go get the thing "checked out" if by a mere chance I'm wrong. :p

Reaction score
Not many specials i know get a chance to fly in the forces helicopter?
How did swing it, Chris?

Ask a Question