is it worth fighting this case

Reaction score
Not long ago i bought a second hand mob phone from this shop at http://www.cex.co.uk/

Phone cost me 65 pounds and came with 12 months on it uncase it need to be fix.

Well today my phone just would,nt power up at all.

It,s a sumsung G600 one unlocked to all(Done my them not me)

They put the blame on me because it did,nt have a cover on the power socket part.

The key pad lights up and that is all so i know it,s nothing to do with what they say.

They test my phone in the store for only about 30min and said no there not fixing it.

I know for a fact this is,nt nothing to do with me not having a little plastic cover over power socket part.

The service in these store is poor and the staff don,t seen to be bother helping you.

any help?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Did it have a cover over the power socket when you bought it?

If it did, and you've broken it off, they have a very slight defence in my opinion.

They could argue that foreign matter or liquid ingressed through the power socket and caused the fault.

However - again in my opinion - that is a flimsy excuse for not offering to repair it especially as you took out the maintenance plan at purchase time.

A small claims court could very well find against Cex but the outcome of the case, obviously, would be unknown.

If it were me, I'd pay for the phone to be repaired - if possible - by an independent repairer and ask them if they thought the fault was caused by a missing power socket cover.

If they don't then ask them to give a thorough explanation of the repair on your invoice and also for them to offer the opinion that a missing cover did not cause the fault.

This will cost you money but at least you'll have a working phone.

Armed with that report/invoice tell Cex you expect them to pay for the repair and if not you'll see them in the small claims court.

Cex are a series of franchise shops where an individual runs the shop with support from Cex and pays Cex a rent and a percentage of profits. So they're usually on a tight margin especially in these troubled economic times and will probably do anything to save money.

Good luck.

Of course, it is possible that some crap/liquid did get into the power socket and bugger the phone up but I personally feel that's unlikely.

Reaction score
yes the phone did have a cover but it was coming off.

so i remove it they did say something got into the socket.

check and it,s dry and nothing got in it.

If every phone was like this they would break down all the time.

Just the phone was fine today then was,nt.

Going to get some advice on this because there talking crap and a cheap way out.

Reaction score
michael555 said:
yes the phone did have a cover but it was coming off.

so i remove it they did say something got into the socket.

check and it,s dry and nothing got in it.

I'd say you have shot yourself in the foot then removing the cover. They will use that against you. As for something getting in there, all it takes is a bit of static on those contacts to cause damage to the phone.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, good luck.

Obviously if liquid had got into the slot it would be dry now, things dry out.

As mentioned on this here forum elsewhere I used to fix electronic items.

If I had a fiver for everybody who said 'It was working fine yesterday but it isn't working now' I'd probably be able to at least afford to fly to Australia and back once or twice.

It was working fine yesterday but it isn't now....

Well, yeah, duh, right, tell me more Einstein, you wouldn't be here otherwise would you?

Note: My somewhat frivolous comments do not reflect on you mr |555, not at all, I just rambling...

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Not yet.

Just wait...

just spoken to consumerdirect and they gave me some good advice on the phone.

Going to write them a letter first and see what happend

Looks like i will have to prove it was,nt the power socket cover missing.

If true they will end refund me the cost my law.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well thats exactly what Flopp's has already told you Michael, you need to get it repaired and they will tell you whether it was the power socket or not that was at fault, then theres your proof mate, and you'll have a working bone and you'll get your money for the repair back through the small claims court..

Jeez we give good advice on here don't we..:D

Reaction score
CEX are not bad for pc parts etc , The local branch does sell lots of games & dvd's etc.
But not sure if i would buy a 2nd user phone from them, but thats just my view!

Ask a Question