Case swap - I've gone Retro

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some years ago I built a PC for my Mum, good quality parts were used, the system was based around a socket 939 CPU. Coupla years later my Mum decided she was fed up with the computer and did I want it? (I didn't know it at the time but that was the first stages of Alzheimers, the computer confused her) I said no but my sister/her daughter could use it, that computer is better than her one, and I took it to my sisters and set it up.

Some more years later that computer packed up so I built a new one for my sister, she visited me, picked up the new build and dropped off the old one. I threw the motherboard away and salvaged any parts worth keeping and noticed the whole thing was housed in a Lian Li PC-60 silver case. Old skool, retro, but this case was in perfect condition and the more I looked at it the more I began to like it, not a scratch on it, perfect condition. The USB port front cover was missing and my sister said she'd thrown it away as her foot kept knocking it off and she'd got fed up putting it back. It also had a floppy drive which I didn't need.

I couldn't get the parts I needed to complete the case in the UK so I asked an American guy from another forum I frequent if he could get the parts for me in The States and post them to me and he did. On Saturday the USB port cover and 3.5" blanking plate arrived and today, Bank Holiday Monday, I made the transfer.

I decided to use this case for my main system cos it was so good and I'd had my Antec 900 gamers case for about 5 years so a change might be good. The colour silver not really my thing, I prefer black, but there is something about a Lian Li case that is just so good, simple, uncluttered, functional and looking extremely expensive - I like it. I had two black optical drives so I bought a pair of silver Lian Li 'stealth' drive covers for them and fitted them during the parts transfer. These covers were readily available in the UK, lucky for me.

I thought swapping the parts across would take 2 to 3 hours but it actually took 6 hours, I had to deal with unforeseen minor problems that cropped up.

Disassembling the parts and reconstructing gave me a good opportunity to carry out a good clean, no more dustbunnies now, but when I first fired up the machine in it's new case nothing happened. Eek. Turned out one stick of RAM was dislodged, pushed it home and it fired up - yay!

The Lian Li, being a bit old, uses 4 x 80mm fans, the Antec 900 used a huge fan on the top of the case and three 120mm fans elsewhere. CPU temp, interestingly, is exactly the same in each case - 37C. The noise level is also about the same.

I like this Lian Li, it's like a big solid very plain silver brick, nuthin' fancy, and it makes a nice change after five years. Lian Li cases have a sort of classiness imo.

Some pix, the old setup, Antec 900 case:

antec001.jpg

antec002.jpg

antec003.jpg

And the new:

lianli001.jpg

lianli002.jpg

lianli003.jpg

And here's a pic showing the new parts, the USB port cover near the bottom and the blanking plate covering the slot where the floppy drive used to be:

lianli004.jpg

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow! That Lian Li case looks very classy and smart - reassuringly solid too. It's great that you were able to obtain the spare bits and pieces you needed. Nice job Sir Flopps. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really like the Lian Li - I had a similar one (with a case window) some years ago and loved it :).

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It looks great! I like Lian Li cases, the style doesn't date :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Plain styling with great build quality and timeless looks thats the Lian Li cases..Well done Mr Flopp's for putting an old case back to use..:nod:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Nice case Flops!

Im still rockin my Lian Li V2100b after 5 or so years later.

Attachments

• showroom20-1.JPG
    showroom20-1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 174

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks TC, Ian, Becky, Wobblypins & Alf :)

I wasn't 100% sure at first tbh but I've grown to like it a lot.

Way back some time ago I had an identical black Lian Li case with a window, it now houses friend Rachel's computer.

Ask a Question