Is it ok to use third party uninstalling software such as this?

J

Jamie

Hello

I would like to ask if it is safe to use certain third party software that
helps with uninstalling software. For example http://www.martau.com/ offers
a recommended
programm that helps you "uninstall" programs.

I am quite often trying 5 or 10 different small programs before I decide
which one to use which then involves alot of uninstalling, I understand of
course that this can leave unwanted traces of the program behind even after
the programs uninstaller has been used.

So my question is: What is your advice with regard to this situation? Is it
better to use a good third party software (this one is recommended by
pricelessware) or is it perfectly ok to use the uninstallers and not bother
with this kind of software.

I have since reading this news group learned that registry cleaners in fact
can do damage, so I am now more cautious about using third party intrusive
software on my XP.

Thanks in Advance

B

Bill James

That type of 3rd party uninstaller works by tracking changes made when a program is installed, then attempting to reverse all such changes. There are a lot of things that can go wrong still if the application has any logic errors, and I'm not sure it is really worth the trouble.

In general downloading and installing many different small programs is a risky business since many times they are well intentioned but the programming skills of the author are unknown (usually one person doing it as a sideline), the program may not have been thoroughly tested and perhaps is not being updated if the author has lost interest in it, and the program my include adware components. If you are still going to install this type of program on a frequent basis a more safe approach is to have a full backup system, probably one that images the drive, so that you have a sure way to get back to a working configuration. If you don't do that, running the uninstaller program probably is not going to increase your risk for system problems, but you shouldn't feel like it is a bullet-proof solution.

Make absolutely sure you have an up to date antivirus system when you are installing/running these trial applications, and always update the antivirus definitions before installing a new program. Adware blocking/removal programs such as AdAware or SpyBot are also needed since many of these freeware programs will install adware as an alternate means of generating income for the author.

It's called safe hex -- just because a person uses protection doesn't mean they are completely safe, they should also avoid high-risk exposure.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

Ask a Question