Windows XP Is Ghost 10 up to the job ?

Reaction score
I am hoping to copy everything across from one PC to a new one with similar hard disk sizes.
Is Norton Ghost 10 the way to go or should I re-install every program.
Any experience anybody. ?
Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Unless the two systems share the same motherboard, I'd reinstall everything again.

If you have the time and don't mind the effort, doing a fresh install is always preferable, you get rid of any clutter that's accumulated along the way.

I've never used Norton Ghost but have heard favourable reports of it.

I use Acronis True Image V8.0 (there's a version 9 out now) has never let me down.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tellboy said:
I am hoping to copy everything across from one PC to a new one with similar hard disk sizes.
Is Norton Ghost 10 the way to go or should I re-install every program.
Any experience anybody. ?
Thanks
Yep, Ghost is great for just that job, don't matter if the old drive was a 40gig and the new one a 300, Ghost will make sure the 'spare' space is catered for and ready to use.

The big fly in the ointment, however, is Win XP ... it will just point blank refuse to start if the MB is anyway different.

Save yourself any heartache ... do a clean install, re-install all your programs and just copy the data over.

Oh, do not forget to set-up a Firewall, and AV program, and Ad-aware program, an anti Trojan program, an anti Worm program, and the kettle. BEFORE you connect to the internet for ALL the updates. ;)

It don't take more than two days. :thumb:

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for that. Good old XP.You have probaby saved me loads of aggro I will do as you suggest.

Ask a Question