IPX/SPX LAN Games in XP???

Freddy

Hello!

I love to play few OLD games in my LAN at home, but now
with XP I can't play all games that use IPX/SPX connection.

In Windows 95/98 is simply add the IPX/SPX at network
configurations, and I done the same in XP, the IPX was
installed in each Machine, so I boot the machines and
everything seams right.

But when I run the game, it's all blind, anyone can see
anyone in the LAN, when we can find each other easily in
other games that use TCP/IP for exemple.

Can I play LAN games that use IPX connection in XP? so how
can I do that? What I need to do more to play these old
games in XP?

thanks,
Freddy

Jimmy S.

Hi Freddy,

Have you installed the NWLink IPX/SPX Protocol?

In Control Panel / Network Connections, Select your connection:
Choose Properties
Click the Networking Tab
Click the Install... button
Select Protocol on the list and then click Add...
Select Microsoft on the list (default)
Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS..."
Click OK to Install, and OK to exit out.

Hope that's all your game needs to work in your LAN Freddy, good luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Hello!
|
| I love to play few OLD games in my LAN at home, but now
| with XP I can't play all games that use IPX/SPX connection.
|
| In Windows 95/98 is simply add the IPX/SPX at network
| configurations, and I done the same in XP, the IPX was
| installed in each Machine, so I boot the machines and
| everything seams right.
|
| But when I run the game, it's all blind, anyone can see
| anyone in the LAN, when we can find each other easily in
| other games that use TCP/IP for exemple.
|
| Can I play LAN games that use IPX connection in XP? so how
| can I do that? What I need to do more to play these old
| games in XP?
|
| thanks,
| Freddy

Hi Jimmy, like I said before, I already done that.
Everything is installed, but in the game we can't find
each other. :(

Aside only install the protocol (what was the first thing
that I made), I need to do something else to this work?

I also installed "NWLink NetBIOS" to try if need this also
to work, but nothing change.

I'm trying the Need For Speed II game, and the protocol in
the game is Winsock IPX.

In the other two machines is working fine, one with win98
and the other with win95, but in the 2 XP machines nothing
happens.

If I start the game(server) in the win95/98 machines, only
these two can see something, if I start in one of the XP
machines, NO ONE can find the server, even the other XP
machine.

I already tryed to give a number on the protocol options,
and put in all machines the same, but happens the SAME.

I also tryed to fix a same frame rate to all machine, and
everything still the same, the win 95/98 works fine when
XP can't do his work well.

Someone, please help me, or I'll be forced to remove the
XPs from my computers.

thanks,
Freddy
Have you installed the NWLink IPX/SPX Protocol?

In Control Panel / Network Connections, Select your connection:
Choose Properties
Click the Networking Tab
Click the Install... button
Select Protocol on the list and then click Add...
Select Microsoft on the list (default)
Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS..."
Click OK to Install, and OK to exit out.

Hope that's all your game needs to work in your LAN Freddy, good luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact

Jimmy S.

Hi Freddy,

Permit me to toss some ideas into the hat. Others may feel
free to add to, or elaborate on these ideas as well. Thanks! :)

For you to be able to troubleshoot the problem easily, you
should segregate the items on your network. If you use a
router, remove it from your LAN and connect directly to
one machine, for example. That will help you see if it's an
issue with UPnP which you can turn on and off both via the
router configuration panel, and in Control Panel / Admin /
Services.

You already installed IPX, so if that doesn't work, and you
never tested the game before installing IPX, remove it. You
can also try changing the priority of IPX or TCP/IP.

You can disable the network adapter which you connect to
the Internet through before starting up LAN games.

Test the 2 9x machines alone, then the 2 XP machines alone,
then one of each. Assign static IP addresses to each network
adapter. Make them all part of the same workgroup if possible.

Use a hub instead of a router if you can get hold of one. That
will indicate whether your router could be blocking the ports via
the NAT firewall. If so, you can use it's configuration program to
forward all DirectX ports to and from each static IP on the LAN.

Good luck Freddy, focus on the two 9X computers first. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Hi Jimmy, like I said before, I already done that.
| Everything is installed, but in the game we can't find
| each other. :(
|
| Aside only install the protocol (what was the first thing
| that I made), I need to do something else to this work?
|
| I also installed "NWLink NetBIOS" to try if need this also
| to work, but nothing change.
|
| I'm trying the Need For Speed II game, and the protocol in
| the game is Winsock IPX.
|
| In the other two machines is working fine, one with win98
| and the other with win95, but in the 2 XP machines nothing
| happens.
|
| If I start the game(server) in the win95/98 machines, only
| these two can see something, if I start in one of the XP
| machines, NO ONE can find the server, even the other XP
| machine.
|
| I already tryed to give a number on the protocol options,
| and put in all machines the same, but happens the SAME.
|
| I also tryed to fix a same frame rate to all machine, and
| everything still the same, the win 95/98 works fine when
| XP can't do his work well.
|
| Someone, please help me, or I'll be forced to remove the
| XPs from my computers.
|
| thanks,
| Freddy

| >|
| >| I love to play few OLD games in my LAN at home, but now
| >| with XP I can't play all games that use IPX/SPX
| connection.
| >|
| >| In Windows 95/98 is simply add the IPX/SPX at network
| >| configurations, and I done the same in XP, the IPX was
| >| installed in each Machine, so I boot the machines and
| >| everything seams right.
| >|
| >| But when I run the game, it's all blind, anyone can see
| >| anyone in the LAN, when we can find each other easily in
| >| other games that use TCP/IP for exemple.
| >|
| >| Can I play LAN games that use IPX connection in XP? so
| how
| >| can I do that? What I need to do more to play these old
| >| games in XP?
| >|
| >| thanks,
| >| Freddy
| >|

| >.

Hi Jimmy,
You already installed IPX, so if that doesn't work, and you
never tested the game before installing IPX, remove it. You
can also try changing the priority of IPX or TCP/IP.

yes, I tested without them first... no change with ot
without them... where I change the priority? I don't
found. :(
Test the 2 9x machines alone, then the 2 XP machines alone,
then one of each. Assign static IP addresses to each network
adapter. Make them all part of the same workgroup if
possible.

Was the first thing that I made, fixed IP, same workgroup,
but nothing happens. I really want to make work between
the XP machines first, and even with only these 2 I
couldn't. :/

So all the tests that I'm making right now is only with
the 2 XP machines alone. So forget the other 2 right now.

yes, I can play other games, copy files, see each other in
the network without ANY problems, but when I tried to play
old games with IPX connection, simply don't find the other
machine.
Use a hub instead of a router if you can get hold of
one.

yeah, I use hub, but anything is working fine with them,
I can't say that was a hub configuration problem, since
works fine with TCP/IP games in all machines, and in any
type of connection in my old win9X machines. And I don't
think the hub can't block a type of traffic, can?
Good luck Freddy, focus on the two 9X computers first. :-
)

forget the old ones, they are fine without any problems, I
only want to make work now between the 2 XP machines. If I
could play NFS2 in via LAN in these machines, I'll can
play with the 4 machines later. The problem is with XP. :(

please let me know how can I change the priority, maybe
could be that...

thanks again,

Freddy

Jimmy S.

Hi Freddy,

To unbind TCP/IP in order to see if it's interfering with your
game's ability to connect, or to attempt to move it up or down
the list, is actually pretty intuitive once you know where to look.

Open your Control Panel / Network Connections, and in that
window click the Advanced menu choice, and then click the
Advanced Settings option. You can then either uncheck TCP/IP,
or change it's positioning in the list of other protocols binded to
the services which are installed on each of your network adapters.

--

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| Hi Freddy,
|
| Permit me to toss some ideas into the hat. Others may feel
| free to add to, or elaborate on these ideas as well. Thanks! :)
|
| For you to be able to troubleshoot the problem easily, you
| should segregate the items on your network. If you use a
| router, remove it from your LAN and connect directly to
| one machine, for example. That will help you see if it's an
| issue with UPnP which you can turn on and off both via the
| router configuration panel, and in Control Panel / Admin /
| Services.
|
| You already installed IPX, so if that doesn't work, and you
| never tested the game before installing IPX, remove it. You
| can also try changing the priority of IPX or TCP/IP.
|
| You can disable the network adapter which you connect to
| the Internet through before starting up LAN games.
|
| Test the 2 9x machines alone, then the 2 XP machines alone,
| then one of each. Assign static IP addresses to each network
| adapter. Make them all part of the same workgroup if possible.
|
| Use a hub instead of a router if you can get hold of one. That
| will indicate whether your router could be blocking the ports via
| the NAT firewall. If so, you can use it's configuration program to
| forward all DirectX ports to and from each static IP on the LAN.
|
| Good luck Freddy, focus on the two 9X computers first. :)
|
| --
| Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|
| Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________
|
| | Hi Jimmy, like I said before, I already done that.
| | Everything is installed, but in the game we can't find
| | each other. :(
| |
| | Aside only install the protocol (what was the first thing
| | that I made), I need to do something else to this work?
| |
| | I also installed "NWLink NetBIOS" to try if need this also
| | to work, but nothing change.
| |
| | I'm trying the Need For Speed II game, and the protocol in
| | the game is Winsock IPX.
| |
| | In the other two machines is working fine, one with win98
| | and the other with win95, but in the 2 XP machines nothing
| | happens.
| |
| | If I start the game(server) in the win95/98 machines, only
| | these two can see something, if I start in one of the XP
| | machines, NO ONE can find the server, even the other XP
| | machine.
| |
| | I already tryed to give a number on the protocol options,
| | and put in all machines the same, but happens the SAME.
| |
| | I also tryed to fix a same frame rate to all machine, and
| | everything still the same, the win 95/98 works fine when
| | XP can't do his work well.
| |
| | Someone, please help me, or I'll be forced to remove the
| | XPs from my computers.
| |
| | thanks,
| | Freddy
| |

| | >|
| | connection.
| | >|
| | >|
| | >|
| | how
| | >|
| | >|

| | >.

Open your Control Panel / Network Connections, and in that
window click the Advanced menu choice, and then click the
Advanced Settings option. You can then either uncheck TCP/IP,
or change it's positioning in the list of other protocols binded to
the services which are installed on each of your network
adapters.

I already went there, but I can only uncheck the TCP/IP
protocols, but I can't change the order. How can I change
the order??? Well, TCP/IP is already below IPX/SPX, if the
priority is only that, not works. :/

If I uncheck the TCP/IP, I have few questions:

1. I'll need to reboot the machines?
2. how will be my network if I uncheck this?
3. I'll still have access to other machines if I unbind
TCP/IP?

thanks again for the help,

Freddy

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| Hi Freddy,
|
| Permit me to toss some ideas into the hat. Others may feel
| free to add to, or elaborate on these ideas as well. Thanks! :)
|
| For you to be able to troubleshoot the problem easily, you
| should segregate the items on your network. If you use a
| router, remove it from your LAN and connect directly to
| one machine, for example. That will help you see if it's an
| issue with UPnP which you can turn on and off both via the
| router configuration panel, and in Control Panel / Admin /
| Services.
|
| You already installed IPX, so if that doesn't work, and you
| never tested the game before installing IPX, remove it. You
| can also try changing the priority of IPX or TCP/IP.
|
| You can disable the network adapter which you connect to
| the Internet through before starting up LAN games.
|
| Test the 2 9x machines alone, then the 2 XP machines alone,
| then one of each. Assign static IP addresses to each network
| adapter. Make them all part of the same workgroup if possible.
|
| Use a hub instead of a router if you can get hold of one. That
| will indicate whether your router could be blocking the ports via
| the NAT firewall. If so, you can use it's configuration program to
| forward all DirectX ports to and from each static IP on the LAN.
|
| Good luck Freddy, focus on the two 9X computers first. :)
|
| --
| Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|
| Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________
|
| | Hi Jimmy, like I said before, I already done that.
| | Everything is installed, but in the game we can't find
| | each other. :(
| |
| | Aside only install the protocol (what was the first thing
| | that I made), I need to do something else to this work?
| |
| | I also installed "NWLink NetBIOS" to try if need this also
| | to work, but nothing change.
| |
| | I'm trying the Need For Speed II game, and the protocol in
| | the game is Winsock IPX.
| |
| | In the other two machines is working fine, one with win98
| | and the other with win95, but in the 2 XP machines nothing
| | happens.
| |
| | If I start the game(server) in the win95/98 machines, only
| | these two can see something, if I start in one of the XP
| | machines, NO ONE can find the server, even the other XP
| | machine.
| |
| | I already tryed to give a number on the protocol options,
| | and put in all machines the same, but happens the SAME.
| |
| | I also tryed to fix a same frame rate to all machine, and
| | everything still the same, the win 95/98 works fine when
| | XP can't do his work well.
| |
| | Someone, please help me, or I'll be forced to remove the
| | XPs from my computers.
| |
| | thanks,
| | Freddy
| |

| |

| | >|
| | connection.
| | >|
| | >|
| | >|
| | how
| | >|
| | >|

| | >.

.

Jimmy S.

Hi Freddy,

Setup a system restore point and then try unchecking TCP/IP.
Even if you're not prompted to reboot, do so for good measure.

How to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

If anything goes wrong, you'll be able to recover. Good luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| >Open your Control Panel / Network Connections, and in that
| >window click the Advanced menu choice, and then click the
| >Advanced Settings option. You can then either uncheck
| TCP/IP,
| >or change it's positioning in the list of other protocols
| binded to
| >the services which are installed on each of your network
| adapters.
|
| I already went there, but I can only uncheck the TCP/IP
| protocols, but I can't change the order. How can I change
| the order??? Well, TCP/IP is already below IPX/SPX, if the
| priority is only that, not works. :/
|
| If I uncheck the TCP/IP, I have few questions:
|
| 1. I'll need to reboot the machines?
| 2. how will be my network if I uncheck this?
| 3. I'll still have access to other machines if I unbind
| TCP/IP?
|
| thanks again for the help,
|
| Freddy
|

| >--
| >Cheers, Windows XP MVP
| Shell / User
| >Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=sz;en-us;top
| >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
| confer any rights.
| >_________________________________________________________

| >|
| >| Permit me to toss some ideas into the hat. Others may
| feel
| >| free to add to, or elaborate on these ideas as well.
| Thanks! :)
| >|
| >| For you to be able to troubleshoot the problem easily,
| you
| >| should segregate the items on your network. If you use
| >| router, remove it from your LAN and connect directly to
| >| one machine, for example. That will help you see if
| it's an
| >| issue with UPnP which you can turn on and off both via
| the
| >| router configuration panel, and in Control Panel /
| Admin /
| >| Services.
| >|
| >| You already installed IPX, so if that doesn't work, and
| you
| >| never tested the game before installing IPX, remove
| it. You
| >| can also try changing the priority of IPX or TCP/IP.
| >|
| >| You can disable the network adapter which you connect to
| >| the Internet through before starting up LAN games.
| >|
| >| Test the 2 9x machines alone, then the 2 XP machines
| alone,
| >| then one of each. Assign static IP addresses to each
| network
| >| adapter. Make them all part of the same workgroup if
| possible.
| >|
| >| Use a hub instead of a router if you can get hold of
| one. That
| >| will indicate whether your router could be blocking the
| ports via
| >| the NAT firewall. If so, you can use it's
| configuration program to
| >| forward all DirectX ports to and from each static IP on
| the LAN.
| >|
| >| Good luck Freddy, focus on the two 9X computers
| first. :)
| >|
| >| --
| >| Cheers, Windows XP MVP
| Shell / User
| >| Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >|
| >| Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| >| MS Support at:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| >| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do
| I confer any rights.
| >|
| _________________________________________________________
| >|